Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > "Suckers & Rogues" v 1.0 and 1.1?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4284 comments Mod
Hi guys,

I'm nearing the end of the rough draft for my novel "Suckers & Rogues". Meanwhile, two of at least three short stories featuring the characters are in the works. "Ladybug Boy" will be published in a few days. "Party At Larry's", probably sometime next month.

Here is the question. When "Suckers & Rogues" is finished, I am thinking of publishing two versions of it, one just the novel, the other including the short stories tacked on at the end. I would charge about a dollar more for version 1.1.

What do you think, sirs?

message 2: by Igzy (new)

Igzy Dewitt (IgzyDewitt) | 148 comments Dwayne wrote: "Hi guys,

I'm nearing the end of the rough draft for my novel "Suckers & Rogues". Meanwhile, two of at least three short stories featuring the characters are in the works. "Ladybug Boy" will be pub..."

More content is always good, Dwayne. Usually when I see something like that from big publishing houses, the added short stories are tacked on during the next release of the book as a bonus to drum up more interest in an already released product. That said, I think I'd appreciate it if a novelist had more stories about the characters I'd just come to love (or love to hate) so I could keep riding the high of a novel.

Sounds good to me. I'd probably go straight for the extra stories from the get go. But what if someone read the book and decided they wanted more, but had already purchased just the novel? Will you be offering a collection of short stories to include those as well to help cover all bases?

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I would come up with a title for the 'series' of stories and sell the novel and shorts packaged as 'Punchy Name: The Complete Series Title Collection' This would make people see it as a value and avoid the 'I got this but I wanted that' mess.

message 4: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Christina wrote: "I would come up with a title for the 'series' of stories and sell the novel and shorts packaged as 'Punchy Name: The Complete Series Title Collection' This would make people see it as a value and a..."

I've actually been thinking of possibly putting a name on the series. "Those 80s Stories" has an interesting ring to it, eh? I'm not sure I would want to put the word "complete" on, though. I may, at some point, want to write more about these characters.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Maybe list is as simply "Selections from the Those 80s Stories Collection" instead?

message 6: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Christina wrote: "Maybe list is as simply "Selections from the Those 80s Stories Collection" instead?"

That might work!

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments Suckers and Rogues: Summer Anthems or something :)

message 8: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (last edited Apr 26, 2015 08:26PM) (new)

Charles wrote: "Suckers and Rogues: Summer Anthems or something :)"

I like the name. The novel does take place from mid-June to early July and the short stories all take place on June 29. Also, the shorts all seem to have something to do with music in one way or another.

message 9: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Dwayne wrote: "Here is the question. When "Suckers & Rogues" is finished, I am thinking of publishing two versions of it, one just the novel, the other including the short stories tacked on at the end. I would charge about a dollar more for version 1.1.

What do you think, sirs?"

Would you have both editions available or pull the first in favor of the second?

Personally, I'm not so sure about offering both. If you are doing this at Amazon, you in essence have split your books rankings between two books, so they are in effect competing with each other. TO maximize visibility, things should concentrate.

Another factor is: are you planning to release this exclusively on Amazon or no?

message 10: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Igzy wrote: "Will you be offering a collection of short stories to include those as well to help cover all bases? "

The plan I had in mind was to offer the novel alone, the three (or more) short stories on their own and then a version of the novel with the short stories at the end.

message 11: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Owen wrote: "Would you have both editions available or pull the first in favor of the second?

Personally, I'm not so sure about offering both. If you are doing this at Amazon, you in essence have split your books rankings between two books, so they are in effect competing with each other. TO maximize visibility, things should concentrate.

Another factor is: are you planning to release this exclusively on Amazon or no?"

As of now I am only published through Amazon and will probably remain that way for a little while. I may look into other places in time.

The plan is to offer both editions at the same time. That's what I'm wondering... is it a good idea or not? Or should I just offer the novel and all stories separate from each other, at least for now?

You make a valid point about the book competing against itself if it's published in two different versions. Something to consider...

message 12: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Dwayne, before I did this, I'd try to evaluate the "value added" of those short stories. For what you write, there might be synergy. We (in our genre) have to be careful, because our readers have this tendency to view that as padding to get the word counts (and thus price) up.

Obviously I don't know your situation, but I'd be cautious there. The short stories may be more valuable for to selling the novel outside of it than in it.

My years doing business on the internet taught to be me wary of "packaged choice" -- instead of seeing things as "more variety" or "something for everyone" the package was seen as "extra stuff I don't want, but have to pay for." Offering two editions addresses that, but so does just offering the short stories as standalone? If you believe they are worth 99 cents, that might be an option, and then offer them for free when you can?

Just thoughts off the top of my head. I've been horrid at predicting how readers will react to our work.

message 13: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Owen wrote: "If you believe they are worth 99 cents, that might be an option, and then offer them for free when you can?"

This part is definite. The short stories are meant to be free from time to time, to draw people in, hoping they will like the characters enough to purchase the novel.

Owen wrote: "Just thoughts off the top of my head. I've been horrid at predicting how readers will react to our work."

Thank you for that. I was hoping for some varied responses to help me see all angles before I decide what to do. I'm not good, either, at knowing how readers will react to things.

message 14: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Dwayne wrote: "Thank you for that. I was hoping for some varied responses to help me see all angles before I decide what to do. I'm not good, either, at knowing how readers will react to things..."

Good luck and may the .... umm, er -- Good luck! ;-)

message 15: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Rob wrote: "Do you also plan on releasing the short stories separately? I could imagine being annoyed if I bought the cheaper version and liked it so much that I wanted to buy the short stories and could only ..."

I am definitely going to release the novel alone and the short stories will be sold separately. The short stories will be free from time to time as a way to get people interested in the characters.

I was just wondering what people thought of the idea of also selling the novel with the short stories attached.

message 16: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments You could just release the shorts individually and with the book. You could pepper them in chronologically as chapters if you wanted, or an "intermission". That way nobody feels cheated and you can still offer the material as a free promo.

message 17: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Charles wrote: "You could pepper them in chronologically as chapters if you wanted, or an "intermission""

I thought about that, but I won't. There's a lot of reasons I can't go into right now.