2017 Reading Challenge discussion

Generalities > Four Month Checkup

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Valerie (last edited Apr 26, 2015 10:06AM) (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Four months have almost gone by, which means the year is a third of the way done.

How have all of you been doing? I know for me, this month can be harder time to read since I have standardized testing window to get through; but, snow days helped off-set this busy time.

Summer is coming up, and several categories I have put off are waiting for me once the last dismissal bell rings. (Example, I have chosen Hawaii by James Mischner for my place I want to go.)

So, how are all of you enjoying your books? Have you found some surprises? Enjoyed a genre you did not think you would? Have you stepped out of your comfort zone and enjoyed it? Hated it?

I have never tracked my books before, and, this is new for me. Some of the genres I liked, and some of my choices I loved. Others, I struggled through.

I have been very glad that many of you have been there to suggest and review choices,so it has made it easier to tackle some of the more obscure categories.

So, how are all of you doing?

message 2: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Johansson (dakkster) I've gone through most of the stuff that's out of my comfort zone, because that's the stuff I needed to borrow at the library and I wanted to get through that first. It's been rocky at times. I gave up on both Northanger Abbey and Lady Chatterley's Lover after fighting them for a couple months.

I've listened to a lot of audio books and without that format I wouldn't make it this year, if I do it. I'm still way behind the pace in paper books and ebooks.

So far I've read 16 books and I have one audio book, three ebooks and three paper books started. According to my overly ambitious excel sheet, I'm going to need to read about 1650 pages per month going forward. I got in 2000 in March, so I know I can do it and I have the books I'm the most motivated to read left.

My most positive surprises so far have been Old Man's War by John Scalzi, the Harry Potter books (three down so far) and Red Rising by Pierce Brown. The hometown category led me to a pretty boring book. A non-surprise that I really loved was The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero about the making of the cult movie The Room.

But yeah, my most anticipated books are still left. The last four Harry Potters, a couple Neil Gaimans and William Gibsons... The only book left that I'm really dreading (with delight) is Fifty Shades of Grey. I know I'll laugh out loud because I've already done that a couple of times when my girlfriend has read passages to me, but at the same time I wonder if I have the constitution to handle that kind of shoddy writing :)

I love the challenge so far and at the beginning of January, I wouldn't have thought that I would already be almost 17 books done by now. I've found that I want to read a lot more books than I have room for in my list, and I've already moved a lot of books around in my planning, but I'm just pushing them off to next year and then I'm NOT doing a list like this. I want no restrictions next year :)

message 3: by Valerie (last edited Apr 26, 2015 11:00AM) (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Thomas wrote: "I've gone through most of the stuff that's out of my comfort zone, because that's the stuff I needed to borrow at the library and I wanted to get through that first. It's been rocky at times. I gav..."

Thanks for sharing. Now I have some new books to look into!!

I give you credit for tackling 50 Shades. I am not that brave. LOL

I like doing challenges, but I like having a little bit more leg room. Though, I did like the scavenger hunt feel. Like you, I have gotten to points where the books I want to read are not fitting into categories on the list. But, that is OK. I am way ahead.

My cozy group usually has a five a month challenge, and base them on things like Mother's Day- read a book with mother or grandmother in it. Or, seasonal challenges where you pick a word and do an acrostic with either title or author. (Helps me go through my TBR mountain!)

I did find that a few categories were QUICK on this list. Play, book from childhood, and graphic novel. And, of course, book you can read in a day.

Again, thanks for sharing!

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy This is one of two challenges I am doing this year. The other challenge is a bingo card(25 categories) challenge. The categories in that one are a little more genre-specific than this one. So far I have been fitting the same books in easily in both challenges. Now it is starting to get a little harder. I can't just pick up any book and find a spot. Strategy will be necessary.

I have read 18 books so far. I usually read between 35-40 books a year, so it will be a stretch to finish and I don't really want to double up categories. And I don't like purposely picking short books just to fill a category.

A big surprise this year was the trilogy I chose to read. The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. My husband was pestering me to read it, but I wasn't really interested. I went for it and absolutely loved these books. On the other end of it, I had to give up on Necroscope for the scary book category. I thought I would love it, but the book put me to sleep.

In January, I decided to try reading more sci-fi and I have fit in quite a few. I am happy to see Thomas liked Old Man's War and Red Rising because they are also on my list for this year, along with Station 11 and a few others.

I just need to quit my job, stop doing housework, ignore my family and then I would have all the time I need!

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Kathy- I have now added new stuff toy mountIn of TBR. I definitely will have to look at that trilogy! Thanks for sharing.

message 6: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) I'm honestly happy with how this challenge is going for me so far! Right now I've read WAY more than I did in the same period last year and I'm discovering more free time (or creating it) in my schedule to fit in some reading time and I'm so happy! I decided to tackle the books I liked first, I thought it would be easier to finish them and get ahead in the challenge so when I started to drag with the categories I'm not that into, I would have some time to finish them. It's working, but I'm trying to interpolate books I like with categories I'm not used to give me motivation to finish the books I don't enjoy as much. Also, I've been able to fit a LOT of trilogies and series I've been wanting to read for ages into the challenge so that has been good, because I'm finding out new things to enjoy and get me hyped. Since I still have to tackle the majority of the unusual categories for me, I don't know if I'll surprise myself by enjoying any of them, but I hope so!

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Natália wrote: "I'm honestly happy with how this challenge is going for me so far! Right now I've read WAY more than I did in the same period last year and I'm discovering more free time (or creating it) in my sch..."

I like how you said you have more time to read because of this challenge. That is great!

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin Bee (erinbeereads) I started a little late. Fortunately the books I had read already this year for some of the categories. I have a bad habit of buying books and then not reading them so I'm using this challenge as motivation to get through them. I've read 7 books this year, 3 since I started the challenge last month. I seem to be a bit ambitious because every book I pick up is 500 or more.

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin | 11 comments i am doing a lot better than i expected but that is probably also because some of the books i have read or have interest in can fall into more than one category and when that occurs, i have been trying to make sure to have more than one book in those categories so it doesnt just seem like i want to put a book in more than one category. i am also liking that this challenge is opening me to reading books i may not have normally considered and hopefully this means my reading is becoming more diverse, too. as much as i favor certain categories, i hate to keep reading the same types of books over and over again too close together so i try to read totally different types back-to-back or simultaneously.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandabookworm) I started this challenge mostly as a way to connect to other readers. But I also wanted to get out of my comfort zone. I have completed 14 of the categories, so I'm doing pretty well with keeping up. However, I have managed (mostly through habit) to stay in my reading comfort zone with most of the books I've read so far. I'm hoping since I don't have any college classes I'm taking this summer, I will be able to be more ambitious in the books I choose to read.

message 11: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Erin wrote: "I started a little late. Fortunately the books I had read already this year for some of the categories. I have a bad habit of buying books and then not reading them so I'm using this challenge as m..."

Good for you, giving yourself more of a challenge. Course, the play, and 'book you can read in a day' will be shorter than 500!

I also commend you on getting through the TBR list. That is probably the easiest category to fill. LOL

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Robin wrote: "i am doing a lot better than i expected but that is probably also because some of the books i have read or have interest in can fall into more than one category and when that occurs, i have been tr..."

I agree with you. Definitely getting out of the rut is a good thing about this challenge!

message 13: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Amanda wrote: "I started this challenge mostly as a way to connect to other readers. But I also wanted to get out of my comfort zone. I have completed 14 of the categories, so I'm doing pretty well with keeping..."

I like the connecting with others as well. Kind of cool to know you and others are all working together on similar goals. In my family, there are three other doing it, so it is a nice conversation piece around the dinner table.

message 14: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Johansson (dakkster) Apparently I have 11 books with 500+ pages on my list. 3 of them with 600+, 2 of them with 700+ and one of them with 800+. I've read one of the 600 page books. The rest are still unread. Jeeeez...

On another note, my girlfriend is doing the challenge, but she's put in another rule for herself. She only reads books written by women, because of a discussion between us and a few friends of ours where it became apparent that male authors are overrepresented. I've upped my count to about a third of my list written by women, but the seven Harry Potter books helps that of course.

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna | 13 comments I just really love this challenge for several different reasons. 1. I have read 19 of the books on the challenge and that is quite a bit more than I have read in the past. 2. It has really given my daughter and me something to talk about because she is also doing the challenge. 3. It has really gotten me out of my comfort zone as I tend to only want to read "cozy mysteries!" 4. I like connecting with others that enjoy reading and this has helped me do that! I too have found myself picking really long books (like the Goldfinch) but that is ok.

message 16: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 128 comments Kathy wrote: "This is one of two challenges I am doing this year. The other challenge is a bingo card(25 categories) challenge... I just need to quit my job, stop doing housework, ignore my family and then I would have all the time I need! "

I feel with you Kathy!

message 17: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber I was doing so well at first and then I hit a book that I wasn't that into and fell behind by two books. Now I'm trying to play catch-up. But I'm really enjoying the challenge and I still have a lot of books to look forward to. We also just got a new library around the corner from where I live so I'm ready to go check out their selection!

message 18: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Thomas wrote: "Apparently I have 11 books with 500+ pages on my list. 3 of them with 600+, 2 of them with 700+ and one of them with 800+. I've read one of the 600 page books. The rest are still unread. Jeeeez...
..."

Cool!

message 19: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Charlotte wrote: "I was doing so well at first and then I hit a book that I wasn't that into and fell behind by two books. Now I'm trying to play catch-up. But I'm really enjoying the challenge and I still have a lo..."

I had a book like that. Ended up putting it aside, coming back to it later...and, then picked a new one. This is suppose to be enjoyable, I figured, not the Bataan Death March! LOL

message 20: by Sheba (new)

Sheba | 16 comments So Far I have read 18 books. I have been trying to read more books by authors of color. I knew it would be hard but it proven to be even more difficult.

This challenge has opened my eyes to new genres that I had previously avoided and also reminded me of why I was avoiding others. I have learned that I can only read/listen to 3 books at a time and that I need a reflection period after every book.

All that being said. I am glad that I have decided to do this challenge. I like researching different books to read if not for this challenge but maybe for later. Now, like Kathy, to squeeze in the time to actually read the books.

Happy Reading

message 21: by Frogli (new)

Frogli | 118 comments I am shocked at how far ahead of schedule I am, it's a combination of Jan/Feb/Mar being generally cold & miserable so much I'd much rather stay in and read than go out and also that I have somehow managed to pile all the short & quick reads at the at the beginning. Oops.

I think the main thing reason I've read so much though is that having the challenge has concentrated my mind on reading actual books instead of random internet surfing, watching tv or what have you.

As for what I've read, I have been using the challenge to finally make progress on my unread books/to read shelf so mostly not too far out of my comfort zone but others I would probably never have read without the challenge. I've enjoyed looking for books to fit the various categories (except the initials one, that is still a giant pain) & I'll admit I've not been too strict about some of them as it's more a case of I read this because I wanted to now where can I shove it in to the challenge!

message 22: by Anne (new)

Anne (librarianguish) | 636 comments Mod
Greetings from your moderator! I'm so happy that everyone is enjoying this group and that things run so smoothly here. I have been a bit busy the last month and haven't been able to check in every day.

My own reading progress is good, but I'm going to have get more selective to find books to fit the remaining categories. Fortunately I'm a bit ahead, so I have a bit of wiggle room. Lots of camping trips ahead too, so hopefully I can tackle some of the more difficult ones. I've been making more time for reading too! Once I got in the habit, it's much easier to come home and read for a while rather than jump onto the computer.

Carry on!

message 23: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Sheba wrote: "So Far I have read 18 books. I have been trying to read more books by authors of color. I knew it would be hard but it proven to be even more difficult.

This challenge has opened my eyes to new g..."

That is an interesting challenge. If you have not read these already, I would recommend The Bluest Eye by Toni Morisson for book with color in the title, Murder with Fried Chicken and Waffles by A. L. Herbert (This is a new book this year, and a cozy mystery.) Also, The Color Purple by Alice Walker is a great book that won a Pulitzer, and was made into a movie.

I hope that you suggest books in this category for others to enjoy. There are some pretty amazing works out there that we might not normally seek out, and I am glad you are there exploring so we can benefit from your adventure!

message 24: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Frogli wrote: "I am shocked at how far ahead of schedule I am, it's a combination of Jan/Feb/Mar being generally cold & miserable so much I'd much rather stay in and read than go out and also that I have somehow ..."

You are not the only one reading, and then trying to shove it into a category. LOL But, as many have found, it starts getting harder as you make it through the list.

message 25: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Well, the common theme I am seeing here is that many people are making more time for reading, and many are getting through their TBR mountains. Fantastic!! I think that is a wonderful thing about this challenge.

My husband, I feel, has discovered more about the library down the street from him. In addition to taking walks there for health, I have noticed his book pile from there growing, and turning over faster. I find him reading more in the evening, and we are enjoying discussing his choices. Though he and I have different tastes, it is very enjoyable to discuss books with him.

My son and his girlfriend are doing the same thing. So in addition to more reading, I think more discussions are happening. And, not just on Goodreads!!

message 26: by Anne (new)

Valerie wrote: "My husband, I feel, has discovered more about the library down the street from him. In addition to taking walks there for health, I have noticed his book pile from there growing, and turning over faster. I find him reading more in the evening, and we are enjoying discussing his choices. Though he and I have different tastes, it is very enjoyable to discuss books with him."

As a librarian, this is music to my ears!

message 27: by Larissa (new)

Larissa (laracvanti) Valerie, you have no idea how I wish every family would do that, that every city and town would have decent libraries and citizens who would make use of their services. As a teacher, I can only say: enjoy reading and discussing books and if possible help others doing the same.

message 28: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Lcvanti wrote: "Valerie, you have no idea how I wish every family would do that, that every city and town would have decent libraries and citizens who would make use of their services. As a teacher, I can only say..."

I am an educator as well, and I love to encourage reading. And, use of the library. Cannot tell you how many kiddos this year I have turned on to our town library. They seem to think it is a secret place that only adults can use. Even though, every year, our town librarian comes to discuss the summer reading program. Maybe in there heads they can only use it during the summer...not sure.

Had a kiddo who wanted to read a book, but it was out at school. I looked it up online, and told him they had a copy in town, and he was shocked that he could get it. He even told me he had a library card!!

And, it is not limited to little ones, either. During summer school, a guy had to do a research paper for his summer school class, and the HS library was closed for the day. And, it was a Friday. He did not know he could go to the library and the librarian would help him downtown...and, that it was open on Saturday!!

My town library is in the process of building a new one. And, I am hoping that with its grand opening, and it building that it will be great publicity to our town for better use. And, more reading!!!

message 29: by Larissa (new)

Larissa (laracvanti) Valerie wrote: "Lcvanti wrote: "Valerie, you have no idea how I wish every family would do that, that every city and town would have decent libraries and citizens who would make use of their services. As a teacher..."
I am moving from the state capital to a much smaller town and I'm planning something that will get teachers from the local college and school teachers to promote library visits and reading programs. Maybe people will like reading better if it's the whole community involved.

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandabookworm) My dad was a career librarian. I find something deeply comforting about standing in the middle of shelves and shelves of books. I haven't gone to the library much over the past four months because of my college classes. However, I am not taking classes this summer, so my kids are enrolling in our local library's Summer Reading Program and I am planning to read as many books as I can!!

message 31: by Sheba (new)

Sheba | 16 comments Valerie wrote: I hope that you suggest books in this category for others to enjoy. There are some pretty amazing works out there that we might not normally seek out, and I am glad you are there exploring so we can benefit from your adventure!

I will try and post a list of Authors and books that I have found. Where would I put them?

message 32: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Sheba wrote: "Valerie wrote: I hope that you suggest books in this category for others to enjoy. There are some pretty amazing works out there that we might not normally seek out, and I am glad you are there exp..."

Right here is a great place!

message 33: by Sarah (last edited May 15, 2015 06:02PM) (new)

Sarah (sekaplan) | 54 comments I started this challenge when I had been unemployed for slightly over a year. I was so exhausted from cover letters, resumes, and fruitless interviews. Join the challenge gave me something else to do and I plowed through 15 or so books in a few months. I told everyone about the challenge and most people said that there is no way I would finish 52 books in a year, but wished me luck.

I started back at my old job in April and my reading has slowed way down since then. I am also reading a few books now that I thought would be easy to get through, but are proving to be more difficult than I thought. I have given up on a few, but I am determined to read 52 books for the challenge, and I am still on track to do it. I am also using the challenge as a way to force myself to read what I have and use the library, and so far, I have only bought a few books, which is unusual for me.

I also started a 'not for the challenge' list and so far it is entirely graphic novels and comic books. I wasn't a comic book reader before the challenge and now I am a subscriber at a local comic book shop (this is where most, if not all, my purchases have been made.)

So, all and all, I think the challenge has been great for me and I am glad I joined. I would love to be more involved with helping run the group next year, if you need help.

message 34: by Sheba (last edited May 19, 2015 08:30AM) (new)

Sheba | 16 comments Valerie wrote: "Right here is a great place"
Books
32 Candles by Ernessa T Carter
Shatter me by Tahereh Mafi
The Bees by Laline Paull
Family Business by Carl Weber
12 Years a Slave by Soloman Northup
The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez
Little Green by Walter Mosley
xxxholic vol 1 by CLAMP
Mom and me and mom by Maya Anglou
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Super by Princes Jones
Legend by Marie Lu
The Cutting Season by Attica Locke
Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America by Melissa Harris-Perry
Laughing Boy by Oliver La Farge
Kindred by Octavia E. Butler
Dark Dreams Brandon Massey
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford,  
The first part last by Johnson, Angela,
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian Sherman Alexie
Please Look After Mom by Kyung-Sook Shin
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hossein
Shadow Blade by Seressia Glass
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morisson 
Addicted by Zane
Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Dragon's Breath: and Other True Stories MariNaomi
A wizard of Earthsea Ursula K. Le Guin
The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man James Weldon Johnson
Bombay blues by Tanuja Desai Hidier
Cotton Comes to Harlem by Chester Himes
Act like a lady, Think Like a Man by Steve Harvey
Lady Sings the Blues by Billie Holiday and William Dufty
the partner track by helen wan
a tale for the time being by Ruth Ozeki
House made of dawn Momaday, N. Scott
Shut Up, You’re Welcome: Thoughts on Life, Death and Other Inconveniences by Annie Choi
An invisible thread: the true story of an 11-year-oldpanhandler, a busy sales executive, and an unlikely meeting with destiny by Schroff, Laura.
Any Wednesday I'm Yours, by Mayra Santos-Febres
fado by Kettly Mars
Lipstick Jihad: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America and American in Iran by Azadeh Moaveni

Authors
Eleanor Taylor Bland
Valorie Wesley Wilson
Octavia E. Bulter
Meg Medina
Eric Jerome Dicky
Gerald Dean Rice
Farrah Rochon
Sherman Alexie
Beverly Jenkins
Suleikha Snyder
Rebekah Weatherspoon:

Websites
http://mashable.com/2014/12/26/minori...
http://weneeddiversebooks.org/where-t...
http://bookriot.com/2014/01/16/25-fav...
http://blackteensread2.blogspot.com/

message 35: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) I was just thinking recently that I need to do a progress report. What a timely thread! I'm right on schedule. It's week 21, and I've read 21 books. I was surprised since I started a couple weeks late. I've discovered so many great books through this challenge and my TBR shelf has been filling up with books I'm so excited to read.

I used to think I could only read one book at a time because otherwise my attention would be divided. But this year I've been reading a book in each format (print, ebook, and audio) at one time. It's been going great. I always have a book at hand so I can read when I have a few minutes. I don't know why I thought I wouldn't be able to do that. I watch a dozen TV shows week to week and still enjoy all the stories.

Has anyone else been shuffling books like crazy? Most of the books I read early in the year fit in multiple categories, but suddenly books I'm reading now only fit into one.

message 36: by Shannan (new)

Shannan | 51 comments I am really enjoying this challenge. It's been great fun finding books that I think I will enjoy in each category. The "scavenger hunt" aspect has been very enjoyable, as I love research like that.

I've read a number of books I wouldn't normally read and while there have been a few duds, overall I've read some great books and discovered some new authors. I'm slightly behind, but I think I'll catch up pretty quick with a few "easy" categories.

I'm trying to alternate between categories/books I know I'll like with some of the more challenging ones, so I don't get discouraged. Audiobooks have been helpful and I'm definitely finding more time for reading instead of mindless internet surfing.

message 37: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Sheba wrote: "Valerie wrote: "Right here is a great place"
Books
32 Candles by Ernessa T Carter
Shatter me by Tahereh Mafi
The Bees by Laline Paull
Family Business by Carl Weber
12 Years a Slave by Soloman North..."

Thanks! I think I may have a few to add to my growing TBR mountain!

message 38: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Heather wrote: "I was just thinking recently that I need to do a progress report. What a timely thread! I'm right on schedule. It's week 21, and I've read 21 books. I was surprised since I started a couple weeks l..."

I am almost done, but those that I have left are going to be more enjoyable while I have more time this summer...and, one I want for a category does not even come out until July.

Like you, I found I am making sure I have a book at all times. And, I have found having it in many formats to help.

Congrats on doing so well! And, sharing your ideas.

message 39: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Shannan wrote: "I am really enjoying this challenge. It's been great fun finding books that I think I will enjoy in each category. The "scavenger hunt" aspect has been very enjoyable, as I love research like tha..."

I also found it helpful to go back and forth between categories I know I would like, and ones that took a little bit more out of my comfort zone. Great idea to share!

message 40: by Sarah Mae (new)

Sarah Mae (sarahmae) I've read 28 books so far, although the longest ones are yet to come I think I can finish.

message 41: by James (new)

James Johnson (jimocracy) | 3 comments I've finished 31 and have 21 to go (since the trilogy has three). Like others, I'm not reading short books either and no repeats. I'm taking this challenge seriously and love that it takes me out of my wheelhouse of what I usually read.

I just finished a book that I tried to read 20 years ago (and a few times since) but had never finished... until now! I chose Stephen King's The Stand for the "started but never finished" and I'm so glad I did! It is a great story and i can't believe I ever let those 1400+ pages keep me from the end.

I'm also doing the yearly Goodreads challenge and have committed to reading 175 books this year. Although I'm at 67 so far, I hadn't really been focusing much on the Pop Sugar thing. But, now I am and every book I read will be for that challenge until I finish (hopefully, by next month or by the end of July, at the latest).

message 42: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Jim wrote: "I've finished 31 and have 21 to go (since the trilogy has three). Like others, I'm not reading short books either and no repeats. I'm taking this challenge seriously and love that it takes me out..."

Good for you! Sounds like you have a great summer reading planned!

message 43: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Johansson (dakkster) Jim wrote: "I've finished 31 and have 21 to go (since the trilogy has three). Like others, I'm not reading short books either and no repeats. I'm taking this challenge seriously and love that it takes me out..."

Wow. 175 books this year. That number has my jaw hitting the floor. It makes me curious how much time you spend on reading and if you're using any speedreading techniques.

message 44: by Page (new)

Page (victriviaqueen) | 47 comments I am way behind -- I moved house and that took a lot of my time and energy -- but aim to catch up. I've read 11 so far (including the trilogy) with two in progress and two more books I finished but am not sure where or if they fit into this challenge.

message 45: by Anne (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I am way behind -- I moved house and that took a lot of my time and energy -- but aim to catch up. I've read 11 so far (including the trilogy) with two in progress and two more books I finished but..."

Could be time to start doubling up categories! ;-)

message 46: by James (new)

James Johnson (jimocracy) | 3 comments Thomas wrote: "Jim wrote: "I've finished 31 and have 21 to go (since the trilogy has three). Like others, I'm not reading short books either and no repeats. I'm taking this challenge seriously and love that it ..."

I'm actually a very slow reader but I read all the time and all year long. It's my way of relaxing.

message 47: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 128 comments Cheryl wrote: "I am way behind -- I moved house and that took a lot of my time and energy -- but aim to catch up. ... two more books I finished but am not sure where or if they fit into this challenge..."

What books are they? Maybe someone has some ideas about where they could fit in.

message 48: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments Cheryl wrote: "I am way behind -- I moved house and that took a lot of my time and energy -- but aim to catch up. I've read 11 so far (including the trilogy) with two in progress and two more books I finished but..."

Agreed, maybe we can help you fit them in a category.

And, do NOT worry if you do not get them all done. The point, I believe is to expand your reading and get out of your comfort zones. I would look to choosing the remaining ones of the year to be ones you do not normally read. That way, you will fulfill the spirit of the challenge, if not the list.

For me, BTW, three categories went REALLY fast. Graphic Novel, book from childhood...and, obviously, book you can read in a day.

So, congrats on what you HAVE done, and good luck. You still have many more weeks to get a chunk done!

message 49: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 128 comments Valerie wrote: "And, do NOT worry if you do not get them all done. The point, I believe is to expand your reading and get out of your comfort zones. I would look to choosing the remaining ones of the year to be ones you do not normally read. That way, you will fulfill the spirit of the challenge, if not the list..."

Cheryl:
Here's a big LIKE for Valerie's comment.

Also, you've completed a huge 2015 challenge already: Moving House! .. Wow!! 2015 book challenges pale into insignificance!

message 50: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Vendegna So glad to have stumbled onto this group. Of the 50 categories on the list, I'm only on my 12th, so I feel like I'm very behind. Hopefully vacation time will help me have more time to read. I found this group when I googled how to find author's initials and a post here with a link showed up.

« previous 1