Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) Red Queen discussion

Was the plot twist obvious? *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

emma Personally, I thought this book was okay. A lot of people who've read this book told me about how you'd be thrown off by the plot twist/betrayal. But I've always guessed that Maven was going to betray them. Anyone else? Share your opinions please!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked the book. The betrayal was pretty obvious actually and when I read the part I thought "Okay, this isn't much of a plot twist". But then the second plot twist came, and then I was thrown off. So I believe that people refer to the latter as the real plot twist, not the betrayal.

message 3: by Diana Grace (last edited Apr 26, 2015 05:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diana Grace https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2... Sabina what two plot twists are you talking about, the betrayal and...?

And to answer the original question
I did not see a betrayal coming, but I had a weird feeling about Maven foe a long time throughout that book. I knew there was going to be a plot twist(with all the book hype), but I did not know there was going to be a betrayal.

Kristen I know what you mean about the plot not so twist and how it was obvious but to be honest I kind of felt that the plot twists weren't the driving force of this book. One reason I really liked the book is because the questions it leaves you asking yourself like, "At what point does a person stop being a human? Just because there's a flame (Cal) does that mean there has to be a shadow (Maven)? Is it completly ludacris to think that Mare's gift involves some sort of atractive boy power along with her electrictity? ;D"

Cami (The annoying BookWorm) I was really dissapointed, probably because I heard so many people rave about Red Queen being so unpredictable and then turned out to be so obvious. You suspect the betrayal the second you meet the character, how can you not? And then, when everything starts developing and Mare never suspects a thing, even though she should? i thought it was a cheap move to move our minds away from it.

Liana Cami (The annoying BookWorm) wrote: "I was really dissapointed, probably because I heard so many people rave about Red Queen being so unpredictable and then turned out to be so obvious. You suspect the betrayal the second you meet the..."

I agree with you that it was obvious, I knew that the author was going to prove the statement that Maven was his mother's son pretty clear by the end of the book...I just wasn't sure to what degree. I don't think Mare was completely oblivious the whole time, that statement that Maven is the queen's son played in her mind throughout the book, but everything else was going wrong for her (having to be Mareena, Shade's death, Cal's cruelty and loyalty to his father, Evangeline) that she needed Maven to be who he said he was and pushed away her suspicious.

Katelyn I wasn't totally aware of the plot twist because one could have come kind of later as a closing or there could have been another type of plot twist. The book was really good though. I feel that the scarlet guard wasn't as prominent and it was silly of her to join when she did. I feel she could have not twist Maven and have a weird love affair but he betrayed her. Just hope the next book is at least as good but hopefully better.

Ashley Riley I NEVER SAW THE PLOT TWIST COMING. IT JUST HIT ME AND I SCREAMED AND THREW THE BOOK............

Morning Star Actually I did not see Maven's betrayal coming. Even though it was pretty obvious he was jealous of Cal and bitter towards his father for not noticing him I didn't think it would have come to him betraying everyone. What I did see coming was the other twist. I always suspected it and had a feeling it was gonna turn out that way

Varsha It was pretty obvious: Mavens betrayal, but I totally did not see it coming! I thought he was being sincere, an that there was finally like a Silver that was kind. I was devastated by his betrayal, because I thought there could finally be someone that the main character could actually trust on the evil side. Definitely read this book if you like plot twists, thriller, and romance.

Maria THAT PLOT TWIST CAME OUT OF NOWHERE!!!!!

Piper It was a pretty crazy, but I wasn't shocked. When I first read the twist I was like "oh ok". But than I realize.. omg there might be a chance that Cal and Mare will be together!! I'm a total sucker for romances!

Fatima Ahmer In some ways the plot twist was obvious. The novel lacked a story. it kept on going round and round in circles. I admit the plot twist came out of nowhere, but then it was about time that something actually happened in the novel.

Saf I guessed it as well! I knew he was a bit of a 'too good to be true' kind of person. But the thing I didn't guess was Shade not being dead. I don't even know why I just completely fell for that. That was the bigger twist for me! Haha.

message 15: by Fatima (last edited Jun 24, 2015 01:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fatima Ahmer I knew Shade wasnt dead! I felt like most people wouldnt see that coming.

Adriana My mind somehow knew that Maven could have been the one betraying them - when I know that there's a plot twist, I'm not gonna trust anyone... but my heart didn't want to believe that until it happened! So I can't say that I was "mentally" shocked when it happened, but "emotionally"... sure I was!
And I didn't really see Shade's plot twist coming, but thinking about it afterwards... I should have known!

LobsterQuadrille I guessed the plot twist halfway through the book. I thought it was pretty darned obvious from the interactions of the characters that Maven would probably turn out to be evil. I wasn't surprised by it at all(though I didn't know Shade would turn out to be alive), and was overall disappointed with the book in general.

Ilana i was certainly a bit skeptical of why he seemed soo good and helpful throughout but was honestly trying to give him the benefit of the doubt since he was the brother in the shadows.

i feel like there was a lot more to it than what we were being shown and that's what makes for a really good set up of a plot twist.

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna Sabina wrote: "I really liked the book. The betrayal was pretty obvious actually and when I read the part I thought "Okay, this isn't much of a plot twist". But then the second plot twist came, and then I was thr..."

I agree I saw the first one coming but the second one kind of threw me for a loop so I think that made it better that loop

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna What about kiss of deception? I heard that had a really big plot twist as well is it kind of the same thing?

Cami (The annoying BookWorm) Anna wrote: "What about kiss of deception? I heard that had a really big plot twist as well is it kind of the same thing?"

I saw the second twist coming, I mean with the hint that there were other reds with powers that had been killed and with Mare and her father having a power it made sense for that second twist to happen, especially when she woke up the day before the revolution.

I'm reading that book!!!! Oh God, what kind of twist??? Wait wait, I don't want to know...

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna And that last surprise when she wakes up in the train ahead and overnight I was completely shocked by his lap for head

Kellie Honestly.. It was very easy for me to guess that Maven was going to betray Mare in some way or another. I did not pick up at first that he would be working with his mother in all of it. As for the latter when you find out that her brother is 'dead' it did not make sense. I felt that no way was there a build up to how meaningful this character would be, to wham, dead. So I assumed he was alive one way or another and on the run, escaped, which was confirmed later. I did not suspect he would have a power, although it did cross my mind of the possibility!

Overall though, I really enjoyed reading this book and I am very excited to find out what will happen in the next book! The world is adventurous and powerful... anything could happen really!

Kellie Cami (The annoying BookWorm) wrote: "I was really dissapointed, probably because I heard so many people rave about Red Queen being so unpredictable and then turned out to be so obvious. You suspect the betrayal the second you meet the..."

I am sort of in agreement. I picked him as a 'bad' character when the first time he was shocked and very annoyed at the thought of having to be seen together with Mare and then suddenly he is acting like he is caring. I saw him as the younger spoilt brat character from the start but I was interested to see how it would all play out.

Maria A little after halfway in the book, I suspected. THE UNDERAPPRECIATED, YOUNGER PRINCE ALWAYS BETRAYS EVERYONE. Especially when the Queen isn't the Crown Prince's biological mother.

I wasnt expecting them to go as far as they did though. I think thats the part that hit me hard. My heart was breaking for Cal. I never really liked Maven anyway.

message 26: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Williams It would have been more of a plot twist if Maven had actually been a good guy. lol

Also, it was such a no brainer that Shade was still alive since she kept talking about his death every 5 minutes! I'm shocked that anyone was shocked by either of those outcomes.

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna I didn't see shade being alive coming I wasn't asked shocked by Marvin being a bad guy I still have like 10 I still like yeah I knew there had to be something with Marvin and I knew you had to end up being bad because I knew with the way that she in Calumet that she was going to end up being with him at least I think she will

Cran Berry Yes. So obvious. It was so fucking obvious that I thought that that was the point. Like make it so obvious only so you can do the oposite. It was literally so obvious that I was surprised that it happened. Idk if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I had a feeling Shade would be alive but no idea about Maven. I looved the book.

Gabby Ever so slightly obvious. Maven was shady from the start and I know with these kind of books, authors always try to weave something 'unexpected' into the plot.

Jeanne It's obvious, yes. But I know that there will be some plot twist, and there will be some betrayals and there are people who were shocked by the plot twist. Because of those factors, my mind set aside the obvious plot twist and think of other posibilities like the queen is actually good or Cal is the one who will betray them or Maven will betray his mother. The plot twist is just too obvious that it caught me off guard. Though I know that it could happen, I just can't believe it until I saw it written on the actual page. It broke my heart. I still like Maven though. "You could have been my Red Queen" and my heart was wrecked.

Mariah No I wouldnt of guessed what would of happened. I knew something would happen so that Mare and Cal would be together but I never guessed Maven would betray them in such a big way.

message 33: by Alyson (new)

Alyson I used YA romance logic to figure out Maven was a bad guy. The author might as well have named Cal "Trueluv" for all the subtly of that relationship. He was more powerful, and wanted to see the common people, and all that. Who cares if he and Mare hardly talk! In the face of that who could the lesser brother be but some sort of scheming betrayer?

I was rooting for Maven just because it would be more interesting if I were wrong.

As for Shade: no body no death.

message 34: by India (new)

India Marshall I didn't fully predict it, although I could tell it was coming. Mare had already met Cal (and sort of had a love interest in Kilorn), so what was the point of another love interest? Plus, the author definitely wanted to highlight the fact that Maven and Cal were only half-brothers, with different mothers, so what better way to do it than have one good and one evil (and working with his evil mother?)

But the Shade thing? I knew that was going to happen. There was no evidence to prove that he was in fact dead (like a body) and it was mentioned so frequently I knew it had to be an important aspect of the book.

Lilly Santiago I knew from the very beginning there was something wrong with Maven. Maybe it was because I loved Cal but for me there was something off about Maven especially when they said that he was his mother's son. Maven was WAY too nice to the point that it sounded fake and forced. I didn't like when the Scarlet Guard was invading the palace to kill those four people and when Mare felt that it was wrong he kept convincing her it was necessary and mandatory. Maven was just UGGHHHHHHH .

I'm a Cal kind of Gal.

Lucky Emma wrote: "Personally, I thought this book was okay. A lot of people who've read this book told me about how you'd be thrown off by the plot twist/betrayal. But I've always guessed that Maven was going to bet..."

You either got spoiled somehow or you just had this instinct..
Victoria made Maven likeable as possible at the start before the betrayel. I don't think it was obvious at all. It was Julian who gave all the hints to us readers. I think Cal gave hints too, 'Anyone can betray anyone' that was pretty much said a lot through out the book.. Us readers just had to figure out who it was.

Michelle Everyone keeps saying how they knew it was gonna happen and that the betrayal wasn't a big deal, but me being well....me, I did not see the betray coming, I am proud to say that I read the novel prior to the release date, and honestly I hate it that the majority of the people who stated that they "saw the betrayal coming" and that the plot-twist was "unoriginal", the majority have been spoiled. And when I say spoiled, I mean someone saying to them that the "ending is going to totally shock them" or "the betrayal at the end though", these are spoilers and they will change the way you will read a novel then someone who just went into a novel without knowing anything. Are there some readers out there who is have this instinct, yes, but the majority of those who knew what was gonna happened got spoiled, and it ruins your experience and you end up either not enjoying the novel as much as you would have if you went in it without knowing anything, or just not like the novel in general. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you got spoiled, maybe that was the reason as to why you did not enjoy the novel, not the novel itself.

message 38: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Williams I never read anything about the book prior to reading. I just heard it was good. Nothing about surprise endings. The foreshadowing was so heavy-handed it was very obvious to me what was going to happen. Overall I still liked the novel, but it fell short for me on any genuine shock factor. We all read things differently. Glad you enjoyed it and were surprised, but it doesn't mean that those who saw it coming were somehow "spoiled" on it.

message 39: by Alyson (last edited Oct 10, 2015 09:46AM) (new)

Alyson Michelle wrote: "Everyone keeps saying how they knew it was gonna happen and that the betrayal wasn't a big deal, but me being well....me, I did not see the betray coming, I am proud to say that I read the novel pr..."

I knew nothing about this book before I picked it up off a YA shelf at work. I don't order YA, nor did I mention picking up the book to the teen librarian. Was not surprised by anything in the books.

Jeanne I was a little spoiled (I heard there will be a "big" plot twist that will mindblown me). everything in this book reminds me of other books like hunger games and divergent which has the same genre as this book. I dont think I was "Surprised" by the book. but I fell in love with maven's character. I knew he might possibly betray mare but I dont want that to happen. most of the time, I was shouting in the book like "Dont do it! dont do it idiot! thats a trap! why?? Idiot! No!!!" but they still did! I personally loved this book not because of the plot twist or the surprise, but because of the character, the possible character development and the possible path that they might take. I was not mindblown. More like betrayed. Betrayed by the character I loved. I trusted him not to go in that path eventhough its pretty obvious that it is the path he will choose but still..

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna How's the second book come out yet?

Ansel So. Plot twist. Didn't really see it coming; however, I never really liked Maven in the first place. I always from the second I met his character thought he was evil, but as time went on I started to trust him more. During that part I wished the author would change it, because Mare (so obviously) belongs with Cal. So, the plot twist surprised me, although it shouldn't have. Glad it happened though. That is just my opinion though.

Ansel Anna, no, the second book hasn't come out yet, I am immensely excited for it though. CAN NOT WAIT!!

-Cat101 =^•^=

message 44: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Yeah... it's one of those things that is staring the reader right in the face the entire time, but they don't actually believe that the author would make it happen. So, his betrayal is something I thought about but when it actually happened I was still in shock. I thought the plot twist was pretty good, it'll be interesting in the second book...

message 45: by emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

emma Kristen wrote: "I know what you mean about the plot not so twist and how it was obvious but to be honest I kind of felt that the plot twists weren't the driving force of this book. One reason I really liked the bo..."

Hmm I agree with this.

Sandra How did all of these people NOT see the "twist" coming. It was foreshadowed with a heavy hand throughout the book. We are told seven times "anyone can betray anyone" in italics. If that doesn't signify to you that a major character is going to betray her I don't know what else could.

I think the reason some readers found it so shocking was because Aveyard actually took the time to build and create a relationship with Maven (to make the betrayal worse)...while with Cal it was just slapped together cardboard.

message 47: by Private (new)

Private Donut I swear Maven was a rat when i herd about him i mean, really, they said many many times that he was the 'Shadow to the flame' _*WHO DID NOT SEE THAT COMING?!?*_

message 48: by Chisom (last edited Apr 26, 2016 07:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chisom The thing with me is that I'm sure i would've HATED the book without the twist. Evrrything would've been boring or too good to be true. It wouldn't have made sense. Especially considering Evelyns power and Mavens nature in the beginning of the book. I had a feeling he shouldn't be trusted so i was elated with the betrayel. What i especially loved about it was HOW the betrayal went down. The sadistic crack of his neck and air of malevolence. Pure evil, I loved it. Honestly i only like Maven now because he's evil. So good

Raffy The thing is, everyone here is saying it was a really obvious twist but I didn't see it coming AT ALL. To be honest, I'm really bad at seeing plot twists even in the most obvious storylines, so I was never going to see it. But anyway, I still love Maven so much and I really want him to have a good ending, if he gets killed off in the third book I'll be so upset

message 50: by camila (new) - added it

camila I loved Maven to be honest and I did want him to be the main hero of the book, and not Cal because I was really tired of the perfect guy always being the good one, and of course, the not so perfect guy being the one that always betrays everybody. Having this in mind, it wasn't surprising to me when Maven turned out to be a traitor. I was mostly dissapointed because I really asked god to not end the history like that, and well

« previous 1