The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
HBC READATHONS 2018 - ON HOLD > READATHON BREAK 2

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 25, 2015 04:32PM) (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
Did you learn something new today in your reading today that you would like to share? Did something surprise you?

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Surprised would be the key word here. I finished a biography in which the author presented totally unverified statements as fact (and admitted that they couldn't be proved). Biography becomes fiction when an author does that.....I was disappointed since the topic was an interesting one.

That Woman The Life of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor by Anne Sebba by Anne Sebba Anne Sebba

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

That is interesting - do you think there is more of this - and worse that is becoming more acceptable?

message 4: by Skeetor (new)

Skeetor | 311 comments I found we were able to locate Japanese war factories during WWII largely because allied forces recovered nameplates from downed ships and planes and captured equipment. The plates had the names and locations of the factories on them (as well as manufacture date and serial number).

Rescue at Los Banos The Most Daring Prison Camp Raid of World War II by Bruce Henderson by Bruce Henderson Bruce Henderson

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

That is fascinating Skeetor - like a roadmap of sorts.

message 6: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) I found out that the reason behind all the changes Ceasar made in Rome was his fascination with culture and development of Alexandria. A new for me.

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Isn't that something - the connection to Egypt.

message 8: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Since I've been in love with Egypt since forever, it makes me happy when I learn something like that.

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Me too - they had such a spectacular Ancient past. I hope their future becomes as bright

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.