HAPPILY EVER AFTER discussion

ROMANCE BOOKS BY THEMES > Separated/Divorced/Widowed Hero or Heroine

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ramla Zareen (last edited Oct 30, 2019 07:24AM) (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 1164 comments Mod
Hello everyone,

Please let's discuss those Romance books that are based on the theme: 

"Separated/Divorced/Widowed Hero or Heroine

message 2: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Hi, just wanted to share about a book based on this theme that I recently read and enjoyed:

The Next Always The Next Always (Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts by Nora Roberts.

message 3: by C. (new)

C. | 45 comments I enjoy those themes, except will not include "Separated"!

IMO, no single should ever even consider getting involved with someone who is just separated! First of all, no decent person should want to be in the way of a possible reconciliation.

Second ...the single is just setting themselves up for possible heartbreak, because of a reconciliation.

message 4: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Bower Whisky in a Teacup by C.S. Bower

My book falls under the category of Widowed Heroine. :-)

message 5: by Ramla Zareen (new)

C. wrote: "I enjoy those themes, except will not include "Separated"!

IMO, no single should ever even consider getting involved with someone who is just separated! First of all, no decent person should want..."

It was my understanding that in such themes it was portrayed that the 'ex' was not the right person for the protagonist and that happiness didn't come with reconciliation but rather with the acceptance that the current person was the true love :-)

In my opinion, if reconciliation was to be the way to happiness then the theme would be "second chance", not "separated/divorced hero/heroine"

In case of "widowed hero/heroine", the first marriage could be either happy or sad ...and in case of the previous marriage being happy, the focus would be on the fact that it was not necessary for love to come only once in a lifetime and that it was possible for the protagonist to again find happiness with another person :-) 

message 6: by C. (last edited Dec 02, 2015 11:42AM) (new)

C. | 45 comments Oh well that is a different scenario. I have never seen such a story, and I know of too many cases in real life like the one I described.

Yes, I might be able to accept that, but it would still be hard for me to accept a protagonist who didn't know the person they chose to marry, any better than that, so to be safe, I doubt if I would ever choose such a romance to read, lol! Just not my cup of tea.

message 7: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Well, everyone is entitled to their individual preferences :-)

I have to admit that I personally enjoy such storylines in which the protagonist makes an error of judgement which makes him/her reluctant to enter a new relationship ...and then the second person, who is actually the right person for him/her, comes along, helps him/her to discover the true meaning of love, wins his/her heart and reaffirm his/her faith in love :-)

On the other hand, I also enjoy the theme: "Second Chance", in which the couple may draw apart due to certain misunderstandings and become temporarily separated ...but eventually manage to resolve them, realize afresh that they are truly meant for each other and get together again :-) 

message 8: by Ramla Zareen (new)

By the way, just wanted to share that there are two books that I recently read and enjoyed and though they are actually based on the theme:

"Fake/Temporary Relationship/Engagement/Marriage"

...but they match our discussion too since in both the stories the heroines have recently become separated from the guys who were not really meant for them. Moreover, they address your concerns about the possibility of reconciliation as well.

The books are:

--Fiancé by Fate Fiance by Fate by Jennifer Shirk by Jennifer Shirk.

--Her Backup Boyfriend Her Backup Boyfriend (The Sorensen Family, #1) by Ashlee Mallory by Ashlee Mallory. 

message 9: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Also wanted to share about another book that I enjoyed and that seem to match this theme:

Married In Seattle Married In Seattle (First Comes Marriage & Wanted Perfect Partner) by Debbie Macomber by Debbie Macomber. 

message 10: by C. (last edited Dec 03, 2015 05:16AM) (new)

C. | 45 comments All 3 sound good Ramla, and I already have 'Married In Seattle' on reserve at my library. Now I have 2 more to add! :]

message 11: by Ramla Zareen (new)

C. wrote: "All 3 sound good Ramla, and I already have 'Married In Seattle' on reserve at my library. Now I have 2 more to add! :]"

Well, hope you enjoy the books when you get a chance to read them :-)

message 12: by Ramla Zareen (new)

My book The One for Me The One for Me by Ramla Zareen Ahmad contains the following tropes:

1) A third person (an obsessive admirer of the hero) tries to create a rift between the hero and the heroine

2) A Bad Previous Relationship / A Bad Breakup (experienced by the hero)

3) Separated/Divorced/Widowed Hero or Heroine (in this case it's "separated hero")

4) Tortured/Tormented/Broken/Wounded/Damaged Hero or Heroine (a past betrayal made the hero cynical about women)

5) Grovelling Hero or Heroine (in this case it's "grovelling hero", that is, a situation arose where the hero had to beg for the heroine's forgiveness)

Just thought I'd share :-)

Thank you,
Ramla Zareen