The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Introducing myself

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan W (new)

Susan W (writerone) | 1 comments Hello everyone,

I've been a lurker for awhile - I enjoy the various book opinions and recommendations in this group. Of course, I love mysteries and thrillers and would like to gain some insight on some new-to-me authors; while I'm in a happy rut reading the same authors over and over, I'd like to learn about some unfamiliar authors as well.

I was intrigued by the two books of the month - one (Bruno) is already on my TBR pile and Child 44 - well, that looks phenomenal. I noticed that Amazon has a good digital price for it ....

I look forward to participating in this forum, and hopefully making some Goodreads friends.

Susan

message 2: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35398 comments Welcome aboard, Susan W.

message 3: by E. (new)

E. | 521 comments Hello Susan. Glad you un-lurked
=}

message 4: by Geza (new)

Geza Tatrallyay | 43 comments Susan, Child-44 is a good read for sure. That is the kind of thriller I love to read and write as well. You will have fun in this group!

message 5: by Annette (new)

Annette Macintyre | 70 comments Welcome! I subscribe to sights like "goodreads" etc. to get news of debut authors and est. ones I'm not yet familiar with. Happy reading.
Annette

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph DiFrancesco | 9 comments Hello.

message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8598 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Susan. Unlurking is always a good thing. Oh - and I can personally recommend Child 44.

message 8: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5414 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Susan. I'm sure you'll get many excellent recommendations here; the group reads are a great starting point. Enjoy!

message 9: by Sparkle (new)

Sparkle | 3 comments Hi everyone,

I've returned to my first love, mystery, after a dalliance in romantic suspense. I discovered GR during the romance/romantic suspense phase which explains my book list.

I'm more of a 'who -dun- it' fan. I don't care for serial killer or stalker themes.

I've returned to mysteries with a bang, by starting with a series by Michael Connelly. I started at the beginning and am enjoying the ride, although it's a bit dark. I skipped 'Concrete Blond', but loved 'The Last Coyote'. My favorite so far.

Glad to be here and I look forward to recommendations by the group.

message 10: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome! I read Bosch eons ago - loved them, moved along. Dark fiction is what I love most.

message 11: by Sparkle (new)

Sparkle | 3 comments Thank you! I'm looking forward to discovering other authors and series.

message 12: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1482 comments Welcome to new arrivals. I have found many new authors through GR. I am currently reading Original Skin by David Mark
It is book 2 in the series. I won book 3 in a GR giveaway last summer

message 13: by Peter (new)

Peter Bartram | 2 comments Hello fellow mystery readers,

I'm just introducing myself as a new member. I guess my first interest in mystery fiction came when I read the Sherlock Holmes stories as a boy. (I've still got a bound version of the stories as originally printed in the Strand magazine with the Sidney Paget illustrations.)

Then I moved on to writers such as Alistair McLean, Desmond Bagley and Victor Canning (anyone remember his four Rex Carver novels? - great favourites of mine).

I've always admired "noir" writers and also those who combine humour with mystery. Current favourites include American writers such as Janet Evanovich and the late and much-missed Robert B Parker and Colin Bateman among the Brits.

When it comes to spinning a really cunning plot you can't beat Peter Lovesey - The False Inspector Dew must be one of the best plots of all time. And I think M J Trow, who's currently writing the Peter "Mad Max" Maxwell series deserves more time in the limelight.

Anyway, that's a brief introduction to my own likes and I look forward to being in touch with some of you in the time ahead.

Peter

message 14: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome, Peter!

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nanlewis) | 263 comments Since I've been on Goodreads for several years, and I am just now introducing myself, I guess I qualify as a 'lurker'. Some of the first books I remember as a young reader were the mysteries of Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. To a 10 year old, the shelf at the library that held these series seemed to stretch on forever. It was great! I still love mysteries, crime, and thrillers, and I try to be open to all genres. That is what I like about GR - giving and receiving recommendations has opened my reading to books I would never have known about on my own. Now if I could only quit my job and read full-time :)

message 16: by Geza (new)

Geza Tatrallyay | 43 comments You might enjoy the Philip Kerr Bernie Gunther detective series set mostly in pre- during and post- WWII Berlin. Lots of fun and well researched.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nanlewis) | 263 comments Thanks Geza. The WWII setting and time period is also one I enjoy. I'll check it out.

message 18: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5414 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Sparkle, Peter and Michelle. Always nice to meet new members.. Enjoy yourselves.

message 19: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1482 comments Peter wrote: "Hello fellow mystery readers,

I'm just introducing myself as a new member. I guess my first interest in mystery fiction came when I read the Sherlock Holmes stories as a boy. (I've still got a bou..."

My wife and I are also fans of Evanovich and Parker. I also like Elmore Leonard, Ian Rankin and H.R. F. Keating

message 20: by Peter (new)

Peter Bartram | 2 comments Thomas wrote: "Peter wrote: "Hello fellow mystery readers,

I'm just introducing myself as a new member. I guess my first interest in mystery fiction came when I read the Sherlock Holmes stories as a boy. (I've s..."

Three good names. Henry Keating's Inspector Ghote novels are especially good.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Original Skin (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Mark (other topics)