NYRB Classics discussion

The Book of Blam
This topic is about The Book of Blam
Book Discussions (general) > The Book of Blam, by Aleksandar Tišma

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trevor (last edited Nov 10, 2015 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trevor (mookse) | 1425 comments Mod
The Book of Blam

The Book of Blam

Publication Date: February 9, 2016
Pages: 240
Translated from the Serbo-Croatian by Michael Henry Heim

The war is over. Miroslav Blam walks along the former Jew Street, and he remembers. He remembers Aaron Grün, the hunchbacked watchmaker; and Eduard Fiker, a lamp merchant; and Jakob Mentele, a stove fitter; and Arthur Spitzer, a grocer, who played amateur soccer and had non-Jewish friends; and Sándor Vértes, a lawyer who was a Communist. All dead. As are his younger sister and his best friend, a Serb, both of whom joined the resistance movement; and his mother and father in the infamous Novi Sad raid in January 1942 -- when the Hungarian Arrow Cross executed 1,400 Jews and Serbs on the banks of the Danube and tossed them into the water.

Blam lives. So long as he does, the war will never be over for him.

Like The Use of Man , The Book of Blam is a searing look at the spiritual devastation of war.

Release date moved from January 19 to February 9.

This is out today!

Posted my review of this fine novel here on my blog.

This is actually part of a trilogy (I've seen some review somewhere say a Pentateuch, so maybe more) of novels that take place in Novi Sad, including The Use of Man and Kapo. Surely NYRB Classics has Kapo in the line-up for sometime in the future, though it doesn't look like it will be 2016 as I've got that slate up through November 1 in the forthcoming thread.

At any rate, this is an important release, and I hope it shines the light on Tišma that seems to have dimmed since these books came out in English in the 1990s.

Michael (myerstyson) | 30 comments Just finished this and loved it. Will read the other two soon.

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet (janetevans) | 63 comments Just received Kapo in the mail the other day. It’s this month’s book club selection.

Josh | 1 comments All three in the trilogy are worth reading. Collectively they are a 5 star!