The Official Darynda Jones Fan Group discussion

FIRST GRAVE ON THE RIGHT Re-Read > Chapters 7-9 of FIRST GRAVE ON THE RIGHT

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie (amgiammarino) Hello Grim Readers! Thanks for joining us as we re-read FIRST GRAVE ON THE RIGHT!

You can read Chapters 7-9 for free until 4/27 HERE: http://www.wattpad.com/user/DaryndaJones

This thread is where you can discuss Chapters 7-9, but be considerate of any newbies who are reading for the first time and keep your spoilers to a minimum! And here's some exciting news: anyone who joins in the discussion will be entered for a chance to win a phone call from Darynda Jones! A winner will be chosen using random.org on 4/27. Happy reading!

In Chapter 7 Charley goes to the prison to visit Mark Weir, the lawyers' client who is innocent of murdering a teenager, and break the news that his lawyers were murdered the night before. She lets him in on the fact that they might be able to find evidence to prove his innocence. As he relates some facts about his case to Charley, she discovers that his nephew has gone missing and he is the same age as the teenage boy who was murdered.

Once Charley leaves the prison, she calls Cookie to ask if she can find a Reyes in prison. Cookie finds a "Reyes Farrow," and Charley decides to go visit Rocket to see whether or not Reyes is deceased. Rocket is a ghost living in an old mental asylum who knows the names of every person who has died -- the ultimate record keeper. Rocket knows the moment someone passes, and he never forgets a name. Rocket tells Charley that that Mark Weir's nephew is not dead yet, but when she mentions Reyes, he tells her that Reyes should have never been born, and seems afraid...

Later, Charley breaks into the lawyers' office. She grabs Mark Weir's case files, and grabs ALL of the flash drives, just in case. After talking to the detective who put Mark Weir in jail, Charley knows there has to be a connection between the dead teenager and Mark's nephew.

Just then, Swopes shows up at the lawyers' office. As it turns out, Uncle Bob asked him to come babysit Charley. (Neither is pleased.) Swopes and Charley decide to ride over to the warehouse stakeout together, and, once there, decide to do some recon. Charley climbs to the roof of the warehouse where she can see through a skylight. She just realizes that the warehouse is empty when someone pushes her through the skylight and into the warehouse below. Definitely an "oh crap!" moment.

But Big Bad is there as Charley falls, and as her life flashes before her eyes she recalls him being there when she was born... and calling her Dutch. When Charley regains consciousness, Uncle Bob and Swopes are there calling for an ambulance, but she manages to walk away from the fall without any broken bones -- and without any real information on what was in the warehouse, though Uncle Bob tells her that it belongs to a priest, Father Diaz.

After Cookie picks Charley up from the hospital later that night, they sit down with some coffee to research Reyes, who is in prison for the murder of his father (and is possibly one and the same as Big Bad!). After much deliberation, Charley decides to tell Cookie everything about the Big Bad -- and some other things too, like the fact that she can remember everything that happened to her since the day she was born and that she's known every language since then, too...

To be continued!

Extra points for discussion:
1. Have you ever been on a stakeout? Would you want to be on one? It seems like there are snacks, which is nice.
2. Would you rather remember everything that happened to you since you were born OR know every language?
3. Do you have any theories concerning Reyes and Big Bad?
4. Do you think Reyes is innocent or guilty?
5. I love how Charley's car is named Misery -- does your car have a name?

message 2: by Shardallinee (new)

Shardallinee | 48 comments 1. I bet it would be fun for a few minutes or so...but then, oh the agony of boredom! I guess no sudoku would be allowed since you're supposed to look around alot... :D

2. I love knowlege in any form. Knowing every language existing? Just imagine how many doors that opens you, how many interesting people you could get to know and places and decipher past lives (archaeology)...

3. Yep. I'm theorising how to get one for myself! ;)

4. Concerning the first book? No spoilers :D

5. Kenny. And it died too. Many times in fact... hahahah!!

message 3: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 34 comments Mod
Shardallinee wrote: "1. I bet it would be fun for a few minutes or so...but then, oh the agony of boredom! I guess no sudoku would be allowed since you're supposed to look around alot... :D

2. I love knowlege in any f..."

Bwahahahaha!!! I like the way your theorize!!!

message 4: by Dana (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 5 comments Mod
Darynda wrote: "Shardallinee wrote: "1. I bet it would be fun for a few minutes or so...but then, oh the agony of boredom! I guess no sudoku would be allowed since you're supposed to look around alot... :D

2. I l..."

Hey Darynda! How would you answer questions 1, 2, 5???? Inquiring minds must know!

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie Bee | 50 comments 1. It better be some action right away, or I would fall asleep on a stakeout. Snacks and bathroom breaks are a must.
2. I have excellent memory and can pretty much remember events from my childhood. So I would love to learn every language instead.
3. I theorize that Reyes & Big Bad are one in the same (A Bad Mother- Shut-Yo-Mouth.)
4. I thought Reyes was innocent and angry about his present situation.
5. I have a SUV Mazda Tribute (So I call her Zoom Zoom)!!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Landin | 2 comments 1. I was sixteen, it was super boring, and they didn't bring snacks. I was NOT a happy camper.

2.Both, mainly because I apparently have the memory of a goldfish, also it would be nice but to get yelled at by customers who believe u should speak their language. Lol.

3 and 4. Spoilers.

5. I have a black Kia Soul named Draco, because he's my little dragon, not because of Harry Potter. Although I'm a nerd and I love HP. I also have a old white truck named Fang. He's grumpy but loyal.

message 7: by Dana (new)

Lol Angie. zoom zoom is cute!!

message 8: by Dana (new)

Amanda, I love dragons. What a kewl name

message 9: by Dominy (new)

Dominy | 31 comments 1. Does stalking count as a stakeout? If so, yes. Plus I think it would be cool to be on a stakeout.
2. I don't think I'd want to remember birth. Given I'm a twin. Nope. However, languages would be really cool. I could flirt in many languages!
3. As I've read this about four times now I think I'll make something up for the future. I have a theory that Reyes is destined to be the dark to Charlie's light. Her bad boy that will balance out the universe with her. Plus, I predict hot, hot, sex. Like lots.
4. Innocent even if he kills again. Mostly cuz he's hot and I forgive him, cuz hello...hot.
5. I have a bright yellow Yaris. I've named him "Rolling Yolk".

message 10: by Darynda (new)

Dana! This is not fair! I'm so torn! Okay, here are my answers. hehe

1. It seems there is a fine line between a "stakeout" and "stalking." I'm with Dominy.

2. I would kill to know every language!!! How cool would that be?

3. Yes.

4. Loaded question.

5. I name all my cars. Right now I have and Encore named Cora (short for Coraline after Neil Gaiman's book) and a gorgeous, very expensive car named Rumor. She sits in the garage all the time and gets pampered a lot. Totally spoiled.

message 11: by Darynda (new)

Amanda wrote: "1. I was sixteen, it was super boring, and they didn't bring snacks. I was NOT a happy camper.

2.Both, mainly because I apparently have the memory of a goldfish, also it would be nice but to get ..."

NO SNACKS??? WTF? hehe

message 12: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 1 comments 1. At my age my bladder wouldn't be able to handle a stakeout, although it would be kinda fun.
2. Definitely, know every language. I can't even speak French and it is Canada's official second language. The moment I try, dogs howl and cats yowl.
3. I think Charley and Reyes are Ying and Yang for balance. Still thinking how that will evolve as their relationship changes (spoiler!!).
4. Agree with Dominy on this one :)
5. My daughter names all our vehicles as well as our neighbour's. Our black jeep is the black Dahlia and the gold highlander is Buttercup. Our neighbour's red SUV is Ruby Sue.

message 13: by Adrina (new)

Adrina (adrinaelaine) | 3 comments 1. No I have never been on a stake-out. I don't believe my heart could take the drama of it! I would much rather live vicariously through Charlie!
2. I would love to know every language. I don't want to remember everything in my past, that is for sure.
3. No theories, I just love to watch it unfold in the books naturally I find it more suspenseful that way.
4. I think Reyes is very capable of doing bad, but in this instance innocent.
5. Every car I have owned has had a name! My favorite was a Pontiac I had that was named Divia. Now I have a Honda Odyssey named Odessa.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

1. Never been on a stake out but I've sneakily spied on people Does that count?
2. I would rather remember everything since the day I was born. How handy would that be? I would be a genius! As a university student, I would be writing an exam then be like, "awe shit, when did I learn this?" Then I would be like, "oh yea February 7th lecture 15 2:47pm. I got this!" And then I could start learning every language really quickly because I would never forget what I learned. Things ya gotta think about.
3. Yes
4. I honestly don't think I would care... His dad was an asshole
5. My car is named Jim. So when he does something stupid (he's an old car so he does this a lot) I can say, "dammit Jim!"

message 15: by Betti (new)

Betti | 1 comments 1. I've never been on a stake out. I probably wouldn't either, because I love my lattes and iced coffees too much. Too much coffee leads to having to pee and most stakeout vehicles are not equipped with toilets, so I would probably not want to be on one...unless there were Cheetos.
2. I would rather love to know every language over remembering everything. Sometimes we want to forget some of the things that happen to us.
3. I have a few theories, but I am well past the first book and wouldn't want to ruin it for others.
4. Stop asking me this, please. I am not a plot ruin-er!
5. I have a silver Focus that I call GiGi or G Squared, which is short for The Grey Goose. I know, it sounds kind of bad to name your car after alcohol, but I like the name and I only drink coffee and non-alcoholic beverages when operating GiGi.

message 16: by Dana (new)

Wow! Each one of you have named your cars. That's so neat!

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda Parish | 78 comments 1. I've never been on a stake out. I don't think I would be very good at it. I always carry a book in my purse and would end up reading when I got bored lol.
2. I would much rather know every language then to remember everything. The bad memories fade for a reason I believe. But think how much you would learn with the language abilities.
3. I have many theories but they contain spoilers.
4. I think he's innocent. Otherwise he would have killed him sooner.
5. Never thought to name my car. Guess that makes me the odd one out lol

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda Parish | 78 comments Is anyone else dying to know what happened at the sewage plant with the rats?

I wonder if we will ever find out?

message 19: by Vavita (new)

Vavita This books is soooo cool!
1. Have you ever been on a stakeout? Would you want to be on one? It seems like there are snacks, which is nice.
No! Never and I don't think I want to be in one. Does not fit my personality....
2. Would you rather remember everything that happened to you since you were born OR know every language?
Know every language. I could get a better job!
3. Do you have any theories concerning Reyes and Big Bad?
Not now
4. Do you think Reyes is innocent or guilty?
Too afraid to think about it
5. I love how Charley's car is named Misery -- does your car have a name?
My car's name is "microwave" because it doesn't have A/C...

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim Bishop (paranormalyyours) | 10 comments For starters, I have never been on a stakeout :( Although I would love to be a PI, ever since I saw Veronica Mars, lol....MARSHMALLOW! I would love to know every language! It pisses me off when people are talking in another language and I don't know what they are saying! Yes I am noisy :) They could be plotting my death, you never know! Not a clue what is going on with Reyes and Big Bad, that's just how I am though with books, haha. As far as Reyes' innocence or lack thereof, not sure I or Charley care cause he's gorgeous! And sadly the last answer to name for my car would be no. I never had my "own" car to name :( I never really thought about naming my car or a car before anyways, I know.....lame!
I love this series, and if you are reading the first one just now, you will love it! Keep going cause it only gets better!! Can't wait for the next book next month, I'm dying over here!!

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie (amgiammarino) Thanks for chatting everyone! Chapters 10-12 are up on Wattpad now! Click here to read: http://www.wattpad.com/user/DaryndaJones

The winner of a phone call from Darynda is Dominy! Dominy, please message me with your contact info so we can set up your call!

Another winner will be chosen in the discussion of Chapters 10-12, so make sure to stop by!