Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF/F Movie, TV & Video Game Chat > Sci-Fi Fans Rejoice! Avalanche of Sci-Fi Movie Trailers Released

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Haight | 34 comments It's a good time to be a science fiction fan: In the past week, a storm of new sci-fi movie trailers has hit the web, featuring everything from iconic spaceships to parallel universes to real life rockets.

http://www.space.com/29178-avalanche-...

message 2: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 452 comments And yet, I'm not too excited about any of them. Will take my son to see Jurassic World because he's loved those movies since he was too young to watch them.

I really wasn't considering seeing the Star Wars, but the trailer was vaguely intriguing. We'll see.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 24, 2015 09:23AM) (new)

Kivrin wrote: "And yet, I'm not too excited about any of them...."

All continuations of existing franchises, too. (As are others not in the aritcle, such as Terminator: Genesis, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Insurgent and Max Max, and I assume the Hunger Games finale for December.)

On the plus side, there's no Transformer's movie this year.

I have some interest in Tomorrowland, because Brad Bird.

message 4: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 452 comments G33z3r wrote: "Kivrin wrote: "And yet, I'm not too excited about any of them...."

All continuations of existing franchises, too. (As are others not in the aritcle, such as Terminator: Genesis, Avengers: Age of U..."

I saw "Insurgent," and it was pretty good. For once, the movie was better than the book!

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Haight | 34 comments G33z3r wrote: "Kivrin wrote: I have some interest in Tomorrowland, because Brad Bird."

And that will probably be the only movie I will want to see this summer.

message 6: by Rose (new)

Rose | 201 comments Kivrin wrote: "I really wasn't considering seeing the Star Wars..."

Really? That is the only movie I've been looking forward to since they announced they would be making it. Unlike most people who watched the originals when they came out, I really enjoyed the newer ones (except for Jar-Jar) so I can't wait to see what they do with this

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark Gelineau | 5 comments I do love a good trailer. I remember being a kid and seeing the trailer for Cameron's Aliens, and losing my mind. there is a real art to a good trailer. And i am a sucker for hype, so there is that as well.

message 8: by Murray (new)

Murray Lindsay | 51 comments Spring after Spring after Spring saw me all abuzz about the upcoming blockbuster summer. And Autumn after Autumn saw me pretty bummed out how only a couple of the films lived up to expectations. A "socks & underwear for Christmas" feeling.

Then I finally snapped and stopped paying attention. Just give me the list of titles and I'll keep my eyes open for when they arrive.

message 9: by D. (new)

D. Snyder | 51 comments Murray wrote: "Spring after Spring after Spring saw me all abuzz about the upcoming blockbuster summer. And Autumn after Autumn saw me pretty bummed out how only a couple of the films lived up to expectations. ..."

I had this feeling with "Willow" when it was first being released in theaters. It was so over-hyped and promoted that I was thoroughly sick of it by the time it was out, so I didn't go see it. Years later, someone recommended it and I finally watched it on VHS. I really enjoyed the film (separated from its Burger King tie-ins) and consider it one of my favorites.

I've learned to ignore most of my feelings about hype and trailers. I don't see as many movies as I'd like (or read as many books, either), but I try to make the decision not on the volume but on the content of a trailer.

That being said, I'm avoiding Star Wars trailers (insomuch as I can) because I find myself setting expectations of being disappointed. I think anyone not excited about the possibility of this film is probably too young to remember Han preemptively shooting Greedo, but there were "look how cool this CG shot is going to be" moments in the first trailer that have me worried that The Force Awakens will disappoint me on story levels as cool action shots overtake storytelling.

I so want to be wrong on that point.