Sci-Fi & Fantasy Girlz discussion

Discussions & Debates > Chris Evans And Jeremy Renner Called Black Widow A “Slut” And “Whore”

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gary (last edited Apr 23, 2015 02:33PM) (new)

Gary | 1471 comments So... this happened:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04...

Of course, we're talking about a fictional character, but discounting such comments on that basis alone ignores the reality that it evokes and the gender issue in the real world that fuels it.

At least Evans apologized like a grown-up:
Yesterday we were asked about the rumors that Black Widow wanted to be in a relationship with both Hawkeye and Captain America. We answered in a very juvenile and offensive way that rightfully angered some fans. I regret it and sincerely apologize.
He also made a kind of non-apology:
I am sorry that this tasteless joke about a fictional character offended anyone. It was not meant to be serious in any way. Just poking fun during an exhausting and tedious press tour.
Which makes it look like the first one was written by a PR guy.

This "exhausting press tour" nonsense gets bandied about whenever a celeb talks trash. I don't buy it for a second. Sure, it can be tiring talking on camera, answering the same questions over and over, but you know what? That's the job. The tedium and boredom of having to be the center of attention and getting big bags of money for sitting in a chair and answering questions? Cry me a river. For most people that's the greatest moment of their lives. While these guys are suffering through a Q&A with a reporter being paid to make them look good some other guy is down a mineshaft and getting paid money that wouldn't buy the shoes either of these clowns are wearing. Oh, you're tired from all the chatting? Try ice road trucking, jackass.

Of course, the public response ranges from the deeply shocked and offended to the obligatory, dismissive "Oh, it was just a joke, people!"

Personally, I'll just say that I never liked the "Death of Captain America" storyline from Marvel. I thought it was an obnoxious and silly story from writers who'd simply run out of ideas. But, kinda not hating the idea so much now....

As for Evans, I've yet to figure out what he's doing in those movies, or even how he has a career in film, for that matter. I've seen yeast molds with a greater capacity to emote. So, just another example of expectations being met, Forrest Gump "Stupid is as stupid does" style.

message 2: by Sparrowlicious (new)

Sparrowlicious | 160 comments Eh, why am I even surprised?

If I wasn't still slightly nauseous from the food poisoning I suffered from on Wednesday, I'd be from these awful comments.

I'm also disgusted by Renner's ableism. "She has a prosthetic leg anyway." - ???
UGH

Honestly, I'd expect actors to be able to also act at interviews that are probably briefed anyway with the actor's agency. And if unexpected fandom-questions turn up it's always smart to be polite. So what if fans have 'wild' theories? Best not to touch them, just politely say something along the lines of 'I've never thought about this. I don't know' or, 'That's an interesting theory'. It's that easy.