Aussie Readers discussion

Book Related Banter > Longest you've gone without reading?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments So, I was just wondering how long you've gone without reading a novel? Or is this simply too hard to even imagine?

I think I made a comment in a thread i haven't properly finished a book since Jan this year but now I realize it was Feb...Haven't read since! :( Words currently become a jumbly mess and instead of reading I find I've truly taken nothing in!! So, I'm giving it a bit of a break BUT I do miss being swept up in someone elses imagination/world.

Liam || Books 'n Beards (madbird) Through late high school I barely read at all, but I can't remember those dark times anyways.

In recent memory, like a week maybe? Two weeks?

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69357 comments Mod
Maybe an hour if I was busy ;)

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Popped this in Book Related Banter Laura :)

message 5: by Jodez (new)

Jodez (jodez4) | 30 comments I hate those periods when the words are just a blur on the page, that's when I know I've hit a reading slump. I've taken to reading comics when that happens, helps break the monotony of text only books.

I sadly went years without reading anything (with the exception of books aimed at preschoolers). In the last 4 or 5 years I've been increasing my read count again, but I'm still no where near the amount I read at school.

message 6: by Sally906 (last edited Apr 23, 2015 03:33PM) (new)

Sally906 Even in a reading slump it might be a day tops - in fact a slump is a day :)

message 7: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Woodland | 313 comments I never go out without my current book that I'm reading. Yesterday waiting for my car to be fixed - I'm reading, go to the doctors - I read and so on. I get depressed if I don't have a book / Kindle handy. :-o)

message 8: by Stef (new)

Stef Rozitis Over a year when I had small children and was very depressed. That it to say I read to the children and whatever but I didn't really READ in the hungry devouring books way

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda wrote: "Maybe an hour if I was busy ;)"

That is wrong! Overnight when sleeping - when we're travelling... But when I'm able my book is in my hand, always:)

message 10: by K (new)

K | 1140 comments I'm not so sure. It was probably when I was living in Zurich. Too busy nannying and sightseeing!

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments @Brenda no worries for the move..Wasn't exactly sure which spot to put it.

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Laura wrote: "@Brenda no worries for the move..Wasn't exactly sure which spot to put it."

message 13: by Regina (new)

Regina A day or two at the most.

message 14: by Ben (new)

Ben Stevens (bsevens1989) | 2 comments About three years. There was a period where reading was, absolutely, the last thing on my mind

message 15: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8153 comments somewhere along the line, I went for a few years, I think, but lately, a few hours max

message 16: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 7951 comments When my first son was born I went for at least a year without reading. Sleep suddenly became more of a priority than books (hard to imagine!)

message 17: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8153 comments and then I'm talking when I sleep or when I work.

message 18: by David (new)

David Menon (wwwgoodreadscomdavidmenon) | 231 comments In the words of Patsy from Absolutely Fabulous when asked about a time when she'd gone without drinking 'it was the worst thirty minutes of my entire life!' Same for me about not reading. And not drinking for that matter too. Well, perhaps a bit longer than that. Maybe forty minutes?

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda E (thenovelbookshelf) | 4 comments I feel like I'm in a reading rut! i have 9 books that ive started but cant finish and i keep buying books (over $1300au this year spent at bookdepository).
I open a book gwt a few pages in but cant go on.
have i lost my reading mojo?
please help, any suggestions on how to restart my reading?

message 20: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3158 comments Amanda wrote: "I feel like I'm in a reading rut! i have 9 books that ive started but cant finish and i keep buying books (over $1300au this year spent at bookdepository).
I open a book gwt a few pages in but cant..."

Maybe revisit an old favourite? Sometimes it's nice to go back and just read familiar words, rather than galloping through something new, feeling that you need to get to the end.

A comfort read for want of a better expression.

message 21: by Tesh (new)

Tesh | 7 comments Laura wrote: "So, I was just wondering how long you've gone without reading a novel? Or is this simply too hard to even imagine? ..."
Amanda wrote: "I feel like I'm in a reading rut! i have 9 books that ive started but cant finish and i keep buying books (over $1300au this year spent at bookdepository).
I open a book gwt a few pages in but cant..."

Would audiobooks help?

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda E (thenovelbookshelf) | 4 comments Thanks Leonie and Tesh. Im going to just retry in the new year

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Amanda wrote: "Thanks Leonie and Tesh. Im going to just retry in the new year"
Sometimes a new year is all that it takes :D I hope it works out well for you :)

message 24: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3158 comments Amanda wrote: "Thanks Leonie and Tesh. Im going to just retry in the new year"

I hope the new year brings back your enjoyment of reading.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Umm is this like from the earliest I can remember? Bc if so I wasn't a reader when I was younger bc it was too hard and took forever to get through a book due to learning difficulties...so was frustrating for me to read...in that case I would say 4months
But if we go from the moment I became a book lover that would b 2 days and it was torture hehehe

message 26: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Robards (sharonrobards) | 944 comments I didn't read much for almost six years, when my daughter was young. Between heavy work load, husband, and all the rest, I neglected something quiet enjoyable.

message 27: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3068 comments My reading has slowed down significantly since starting uni. I've just been so busy during the semesters that I dont get nearly as much time as I'd like. On holidays at the moment but theres so much to do, I need to read more :(

message 28: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 ★ Jess wrote: "My reading has slowed down significantly since starting uni. I've just been so busy during the semesters that I dont get nearly as much time as I'd like. On holidays at the moment but theres so muc..."

When I was working full time - and hubby was working full time (shiftwork) - and our 2 kids were under 10 - and both hubby and I were doing part time uni degrees (Ah - those were the days!) reading was at a minimum - but I use to read books of short stories. Even if I only read one short story a day - it was perfect. I just got overwhelmed at the idea of committing to a whole book - so the short stories were just wonderful.

Its funny because I rarely read short stories nowadays

message 29: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1861 comments From birth to age five :P

Don't think I have ever gone more than several hours since then...

message 30: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Alexander (nicole_alexander) | 87 comments Ellie wrote: "I studied philosophy and behavioural studies at Uni., so I went through a period of time where I was reading nothing but very complicated philosophy texts and controversial ethics journal articles...."

I can relate to that Ellie, when I'm researching and writing my brain also gets tired. When I finish one of my projects I usually don't read any books for a month or so and when I'm researching, fiction has to take a back seat. A couple of years ago I didn't read any fiction for 3 months. A long stretch for me.

message 31: by Blight (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) Maybe two months, when I was really sick.

message 32: by Ed (new)

Ed Pope | 5 comments I try to read every day. Sometimes that doesn't happen, but I always have my Kindle with me.