Military Professional Reading discussion

the maroon machine

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brent (new)

Brent | 10 comments gidday guys im looking for some books to read about the british paras,anything recommended would be great.

message 2: by Manray9 (new)

Manray9 | 56 comments Brent wrote: "gidday guys im looking for some books to read about the british paras,anything recommended would be great."

There are plenty, but are you looking for general or broad histories or specific individuals or events? For specific, try:

Arnhem by R. E. Urquhart Arnhem by Major-General R. E. Urquhart

A Drop Too Many A Paratrooper at Arnhem by Maj. Gen. John Frost A Drop Too Many: A Paratrooper at Arnhem by Major-General John Frost

I Was A Stranger by John W. Hackett I Was A Stranger by General Sir John Hackett

message 3: by Geevee (last edited Apr 23, 2015 12:44PM) (new)

message 4: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) Although published in the early 1990's this book does give you a history of the Regiment up until that point:

Para! Fifty Years of the Parachute Regiment by Peter Harclerode Para!: Fifty Years of the Parachute Regiment by Peter Harclerode

message 5: by Brent (new)

Brent | 10 comments Thanks heaps guys there is great reading here it is exactly what I was hoping for.any books on the paras in Ireland would also be greatly appreciated once again thank you.

message 6: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) Hi Brent, one book that I absolutely loved about the British Army in Ireland was this book made up of first-hand accounts:

A Long Long War Voices from the British Army in Northern Ireland 1969-98 by Ken Wharton by Ken Wharton

It covers a range of units, not just the Para's but its graphic and interesting reading and since this was published in 2008 I think he has released another two books in a similar style.

message 7: by Brent (new)

Brent | 10 comments That's great first hand accounts make the best reading once again thanks for the info.

message 8: by Geevee (new)

Geevee | 111 comments Brent I can't speak highly enough of Ken Wharton's books. Also, again not wholly Parachute Regiment this is a good book too. It covers for instance Warrenpoint and again other incidents involving many British units deployed to the Province and includes interviews with those who served in the RUC. The author also spoke to those in PIRA.

Bandit Country The IRA & South Armagh by Toby Harnden Bandit Country: The IRA & South Armagh by Toby Harnden

Tenuous link to the Parachute Regiment here but another book by Toby Harnden that was very well received is

Dead Men Risen The Welsh Guards and the Real Story of Britain's War in Afghanistan by Toby Harnden Dead Men Risen: The Welsh Guards and the Real Story of Britain's War in Afghanistan by Toby Harnden