Support for Indie Authors discussion

Small Fish Big Fish
This topic is about Small Fish Big Fish
SIA Investigate > Submission services

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by P.J. (new) - added it

P.J. McDermott (goodreadscomjacobcarlisle) | 5 comments Hi, I apologize if this question has been raised before. I did a search but couldn't find anything to help. My book Small Fish Big Fish been accepted by Writers Relief Author Submission Services, and I wondered whether anyone has any experience they'd like to share?
Cheers
Jacob

message 2: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Don't pay people to submit for you, unless you have the money to waste. For the most part that I've seen, you're gonna get nothing for your money. Not saying you won't get a contact, but if you can find someone yourself for free.....That's just my opinion, either way if you decide to use it, please stop by and let us know how it worked out for you.

message 3: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Where are they offering to submit your work?

Tony

message 4: by P.J. (new) - added it

P.J. McDermott (goodreadscomjacobcarlisle) | 5 comments In short, they prepare and manage your submissions process (help create letters, synopses, provide you with a submission package, mailing labels, all tailored to the agents they consider the most likely, maintain a data base on replies etc.) You are responsible for printing off manuscripts (They do the query letter), posting/emailing out and paying them. Initial fee is $449 for a 2 months cycle, plus(I think) a one time set up fee of $225. They will submit your work worldwide.

message 5: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

....I'd say you could spend your money in better ways yourself. Do a targeted facebook ad, or a google ad. Those will be targeted to people who look for your kind of book then, unless you're determined to get an agent or a publisher.

message 6: by Maurice (last edited Apr 22, 2015 06:41PM) (new)

Maurice Miller (mauricegmiller) | 116 comments I just completed the submission process to Createspace and Kindle for the very first time and it went off without a hitch. I used Joel Frielander's http://www.thebookdesigner.com/ template for the print copy $37 (6x9). Print version came out awesome. For Kindle, copied MS into Scrivener ($40), exported to MOBI then uploaded to Kindle and so far so good in the online reviewer.

Print and Kindle covers were designed, created and formatted by Pro Ebookcovers on Fiverr. Less than $70 included all the extras and tip. Oh yes, done in one day.

I will be using Scrivener for all my writing going forward, so really total submission cost for me was around $100. The value is really in the time you save to deliver a high quality end result without having to worry too much about formatting on your own.

If you are going on multiple platforms Scrivener exports to EPUB format as well as MOBI.

Two cents from a newbie :)
Maurice

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I'm so internet jaded that I automatically assume anyone who wants my money is a scam artist.
If you are looking to query agents or small press publishers, there are some great online resources that are free and I am pretty sure they're all linked here under the Author Resources thread.

message 8: by Maurice (new)

Maurice Miller (mauricegmiller) | 116 comments Good question I don't know the answer to, but I can try and find out. I downloaded to my MS Surface which is the only device I use for writing. I imagine the license is to the person, and not just a single device.

message 9: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Christina wrote: "I'm so internet jaded that I automatically assume anyone who wants my money is a scam artist.
If you are looking to query agents or small press publishers, there are some great online resources th..."

Or sign up for Author Publish Magazine, once a week they send me a list of new publishers looking for new authors. An awesome mailing list...I should add that in there...

message 10: by Uma (new)

Uma (witcheyez) | 37 comments Maurice wrote: "I just completed the submission process to Createspace and Kindle for the very first time and it went off without a hitch. I used Joel Frielander's http://www.thebookdesigner.com/ template for the ..."

Thanks for sharing Maurice! I think I'm going to give Scrivener a try.

message 11: by Maurice (new)

Maurice Miller (mauricegmiller) | 116 comments Haha!! Mistook the expression "submission"...sorry for the off topic blab. I think I'm just feeling giddy right now, having received my author print review copies in the mail today from Amazon.

message 12: by Maurice (new)

Maurice Miller (mauricegmiller) | 116 comments Uma wrote: "Maurice wrote: "I just completed the submission process to Createspace and Kindle for the very first time and it went off without a hitch. I used Joel Frielander's http://www.thebookdesigner.com/ t..."

You can get a 30 day free trial. Just an FYI it is a pretty steep learning curve and you def should go through the tutorial that comes up when you first open it. Kind of long but worth it to go thru. Not as intuitive as regular WP software. It has so many great features to help organize, compile, and produce your writing. Can't go wrong for $40.

message 13: by Uma (new)

Uma (witcheyez) | 37 comments Maurice wrote: "Uma wrote: "Maurice wrote: "I just completed the submission process to Createspace and Kindle for the very first time and it went off without a hitch. I used Joel Frielander's http://www.thebookdes..."

I know what I'm doing this weekend already! Learning the Scrivener ways :-)

I suppose some of us (especially me) like skipping tutorials. But since you mentioned it, I'm definitely going through the entire tutorial!

message 14: by Maurice (new)

Maurice Miller (mauricegmiller) | 116 comments Yes, you almost have to use the tutorial to learn how to navigate around. It is very well organized though.

Best of luck and let me know how you make out.

message 15: by Uma (new)

Uma (witcheyez) | 37 comments Maurice wrote: "Yes, you almost have to use the tutorial to learn how to navigate around. It is very well organized though.

Best of luck and let me know how you make out."

Sure! And if I'm stuck, you're getting a message from me :-)

message 16: by Maurice (new)

Maurice Miller (mauricegmiller) | 116 comments Uma wrote: "Maurice wrote: "Yes, you almost have to use the tutorial to learn how to navigate around. It is very well organized though.

Best of luck and let me know how you make out."

Sure! And if I'm stuck,..."

OK...but I am a newbie at this too. The tutorial is pretty straightforward. I will confess that I jumped to "Importing/Exporting" having not completed all the sections above it to get my MOBI file quickly *confession and serving penance*. Note it is best if you are copying a manuscript into Scrivener to do it one chapter at a time so that it will come out right when compiling.

I will be around this weekend :)