Lovers of Paranormal discussion

Token Huntress (Token Huntress, #1)
This topic is about Token Huntress
My new Dark Dystopian Vampire Paranormal. Do you prefer some raunch or YA?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kia Carrington-Russell (kia_crystal) | 11 comments I have a question for readers. Token Huntress is my sixth book, only recently published. My first book Posession Of My Soul is a Yound Adult. It has one three awards and I have a lot of readers who love it. So my question is do you prefer to read Yound Adult with unquenched romance and suspense. Or like in my new book, Token Huntress there is a lot of build up, raunch, teasing and sex. Poll time, which do you prefer?

message 2: by Xen (new)

Xen Randell (xeniya) | 29 comments I'm young, I'm just not THAT young. I don't like "unquenched" as a word. I don't like to experience it, I don't like to read it. Suspense? Yes! Teasing? Sure! Unquenched... whatever... Kill me, please! I like a little (lot) action. Don't be shy, write it all :)

message 3: by Kia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kia Carrington-Russell (kia_crystal) | 11 comments Hahaha Thank you Xeniya. It is my first that I have gone full blown raunch in admidst it. I have to admit I loved writing it haha But I was wondering how other's who have read my Young Adult might take it, as they probably weren't expecting it lol I have had great feedback, but this gives me an idea and understanding as to where most readers sit on the fence :)

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (britbrit96) | 46 comments I pretty much go with the flow. If the author writes it and it's good I totally love it. It just has to make sense though, not something random and thrown in like going off on a tangent. I do prefer some romance though because I guess I'm just one of those girls.

message 5: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 407 comments I've always been a romance reader with sex scenes and all that and used to love it. But now as I get older-38 next month- I've discovered I really like the YA suspense books more.

Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮ (deliah_wilson) My favourite part of books is the sexual tension and build up. And some of my favourite books have little more than a kiss in an entire trilogy, but the writing and world building is so great that I barely even noticed.

Basically, if it is well written, I will read it. If it makes me feel, I will read it. If I don't believe in the characters or the story that is being told, I will move onto something else...

message 7: by AK (new)

AK Mama Reads (reniazen) | 3 comments I agree with Jess(Delilah_Wilson), the writing is more of an issue to me than whether or not there's sexy sex times. If it's just thrown in for the hell of it, that's no bueno. However, if, as mentioned, there's already tension and a relationship built then even in upper ya/na I totally see the merit in full on sex scenes. I think ya means something very different than it did a decade ago.

message 8: by Xen (new)

Xen Randell (xeniya) | 29 comments I must agree that the world building, the depht of characters and their relationships are much more important than sex scenes. I've read books where the only plot was them having sex. Not interesting and not sexy at all. But when you have a deep and interesting story, great and threedimensional characters... then if you add sex in, you have a winner. But that's only me, of course!

message 9: by ~JustMel~ (new)

~JustMel~ | 59 comments I completely agree with Xeniya. The tension between the characters, an excellent plot with lots of twists, and some intense sex makes for an awesome read in my opinion.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Chanticleer (rachelchanticleer) | 39 comments I tend to prefer adult over YA or even NA, but for me it has more to do with character maturity and plot, as opposed to whether the book features sex scenes or not.

New Adult novels are often quite explicit, but high angst levels and a few other common NA themes aren't my favorites to read.

I normally gravitate toward books with a good deal of external conflict instead of a lot of internal conflict. Probably also depends on my mood at any given time!

message 11: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 8 comments I agree with Rachel, in fact I was about to write pretty much the same thing. I don't mind if thetre is sex or not, as long as it's not just thrown in here & there, it has to be part of the story & fit in, unlike quite a few books. I like characters to be more mature, less angst, as Rachel said external conflict over internal

message 12: by Xen (new)

Xen Randell (xeniya) | 29 comments I have nothing against angst (if not exaggerated), but maturity is a MUST! So, I agree with you Rachel and Nicola.

message 13: by Karri (new)

Karri (ikarri) | 2 comments I like both. But, the raunch has to fit. It's like the difference between reading Laurell k Hamilton, and J.R. Ward. Hamilton's books are about 80% sex, that is unnecessary. Ward's has a place, and is completely integral to the story.

If it makes the story even better, then raunch away!

Nook Books and More Blog (nookbooksandmoreblog) | 0 comments I like a lot of build up it brings in the heated frustrations of it lol. I loved Token Huntress just got through with it! It rocked! I don't like plain out dirty talk but romance with heated sex scenes. There was that with lil erotica but not so much it over powered the story. Amazing author! Kia kudos to you!

message 15: by Kia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kia Carrington-Russell (kia_crystal) | 11 comments Aww thank you Julia. I was nervous about it haha Thank you. And thank you everyone for your thoughts. I must aggree with a lot of them as to when I read books from some authors. Thank you :)

message 16: by Ron (new)

Ron Estrada | 1 comments I think the raunch is overplayed these days. Readers won't give you a bad review because there wasn't enough skin in your paranormal. But if the excessive sex pulls them out of the plot, they might not even finish the book. Remember the rule: every scene should advance the plot. A hot sex scene that doesn't do that will fall flat. If readers want erotica, there are plenty of places to find it.

message 17: by Joselyn (new)

Joselyn  Moreno Burke (joselynraquel) | 82 comments I think it should be 50/50 a good balance between the two maybe you can creep the idea and let us readers imagine the other more sexy parts so that way it's not like a just raunch book but more like a good story with some spicy scenes