The Official Darynda Jones Fan Group discussion

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1)
This topic is about First Grave on the Right
FIRST GRAVE ON THE RIGHT Re-Read > Chapters 4-6 of FIRST GRAVE ON THE RIGHT

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (last edited Apr 22, 2015 07:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie (amgiammarino) Hello Grim Readers! Thanks for joining us on Monday and Tuesday as we read Chapters 1-3 of FIRST GRAVE ON THE RIGHT!

You can read Chapters 4-6 for free until 4/24 HERE: http://www.wattpad.com/user/DaryndaJones

This thread is where you can discuss Chapters 4-6, but be considerate of any newbies who are reading for the first time and keep your spoilers to a minimum! And here's some exciting news: anyone who joins in the discussion will be entered for a chance to win a phone call from Darynda Jones! A winner will be chosen using random.org on 4/24. Happy reading!

Chapter 4 picks up with Charley back in her apartment, rinsing her face in the sink. When she stands up, a name forms in the condensation on the mirror: "Dutch." Dream Guy, aka Reyes, is around.

When she steps out of the bathroom, we meet Cookie (and her daughter Amber) for the first time. According to Charley, "Cookie was a lot like Kramer from Seinfeld, only not so nervous, like Kramer might have been on Prozac." Over coffee, the two discuss Charley's battered face and her run-in with hot-but-annoying Garrett Swopes that morning, and Charley spills about Reyes. Apparently, Cookie already knows the story of how Charley met Reyes for the first (and only) time.

One night, Charley was accompanying her sister to a bad neighborhood for the sake of a photography project. They stumbled upon a lit window, through which they could see a man abusing a boy. In a panic, Charley threw a brick through the window to stop the man from killing the boy. The boy escaped and Charley found him in the alley outside of the building. Of course, he was smoldering hot, and of course, he was troubled. He gave Charley the nickname "Dutch:"

His features darkened. He stepped closer, pressed the length of his body against mine, leaned into me, and whispered in my ear. "What's your name?"

"Charley," I said, suddenly afraid, too afraid not to answer. Then I tried to say Davidson, but he pulled the scarf down to see my face better, and Davidson came out as one mangled syllable that sounded more like-

"Dutch?" he asked, scrunching his brows together.

He was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. He was solid and strong and fierce. And vulnerable. "No," I said in a whisper as his fingers drifted down and brushed intrusively over my breast. "Davidson."

After establishing that Reyes doesn't seem like a ghost, Charley heads over to the office and Cookie promises to follow. Charley runs into her family eating breakfast -- Dad, wicked stepmother, and sister -- before heading up to her office and finding Garrett there. He is trying to come to terms with her abilities, and is just starting to believe her (and to flirt with her) when Reyes shows up and Charley is compelled to make out with him in front of Garrett, Cookie, Uncle Bob, and the three dead lawyers. To the living, it looked like a panic attack, but to the dead it looked like her soul left her body to be with him. When Charley asks if the lawyers got a good look at Reyes, Elizabeth informs her that he was wearing a prison uniform.

Meanwhile, Uncle Bob is there to discuss the case of the three dead lawyers. Another body has shown up -- the body of a man who asked one of the lawyers to meet him the night before, Carlos Rivera. According to Carlos, a client of the lawyers, Mark Weir, was convicted of murdering a teenager but is actually innocent. Carlos gave the lawyers a flash drive before he was murdered, and told them that they could find the evidence they needed to clear Mr. Weir at a warehouse on the West Side. Charley makes plans to break into the lawyer's office to get the flash drive and the case files for Mark Weir later that night.

Extra points for discussion:
1. What do you think of Cookie and Charley's relationship?
2. Do you think Garrett believes Charley is the Grim Reaper?
3. What do you think of Charley and Reyes's first meeting?
4. Would you go to your own funeral if you were able to? Why or why not?
5. What do you think the hardest part would be of having Charley's abilities?

Shardallinee | 48 comments 1. Cookie and Charley are an awesome duo of true friends. They have eachothers backs, understand the humor each of them posess and share love for coffee and not kill each other over it - great acchievement! I'd love to have a friend that would understand me as much as they do each other. Seriously, they fangirl over Reyes like there is no tomorrow (even in later books, this does not change). They are sweet and their antics always make me laugh OUT LOUD. In public. Yeah. What more could anyone want? :D

2. Oh, at first he didn't, I'm sure. It's a hard nugget to swallow for anyone who does not think out of the biggest box that is the universe.

3. As the Big Bad? I was intrigued and a bit wary. Also hopeful. As that sweet thing that visits her during dreams?... Sheeesh... Hot. As a boy? I was totally intrigued and scared for him, also sad and again intrigued. As fully grown Reyes? *fans herself* I have no words. I mean... I have them too many and they are probably not allowed to be said aloud. Or thought. Or exist. ;)

4. Yep. I am curious by nature (which is not always a good thing, let me tell ya!) and would like to see and know everything. I would love to know what legacy I left behind aa a person.

5. Every time a ghost passes Charley, their life is described with such beauty and simple details - those moments in books always leave me in tears. These are my favorite and the saddest parts of Charley's abilities.

Lori (krazy4mykids) 1. I love the relationship Charley and Cookie. They understand each other and work well together which is important in any friendship.

2. I dont think Garrett believed in Charley at first but the more time that went by the more I think he started to.

3. I think she always realized that the Big Bad would never hurt her since he always protected her. When she meets him in the alley after breaking the window. He became her dream guy then. Who could blame her though.

4. No I would not go to my own funeral because I couldnt stand to see my family grieving.

5. I think having the ability since birth you would get use to it. I think it was be something hard to adjust too, but in the end you would be able to help others.

message 4: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie Bee | 50 comments 1. Cookie and Charley have a sisterly relationship filled with love and mutual respect. They have each other’s back no matter what. Which is sad because she doesn't share the same fun loving relationship with her sister Gemma.

2. I think Garrett is reluctant to believe Charley is the Grim Reaper.

3. Which meeting?!! They all leave Charley hot and bothered. Whether Reyes is corporal or not.

4. No I don’t want to attend my funeral.

5. To feel the departed emotions when they pass through Charley has got to be the hardest part of her abilities.

Linda Parish | 78 comments 1. Charlie's and Cookie's friendship is a rare and special gift. Everyone should have a friendship so deep. Full of absolute trust and love.
2. I think Garrett doesn't know what to think when it comes to Charlie. He's trying to accept a truth he had adamantly discarded up till now.
3. Charlie and Reyes first meeting was a heartbreaker for me. I loved the history of Charlie's character development, and her first meeting with Angel.
4. I wouldn't want to go to my own funeral. It would be too sad. To watch helplessly the pain your family and friends would be suffering and being helpless to offer comfort would be frustrating and painful.
5. The hardest part to having Charlie's abilities would be to have to hide what your doing. Secrets are hard on everyone.

message 6: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat | 9 comments 1. Charlie would struggle on so many levels without the Friend/Mom known as Cookie.
2. Can't blame Garrett for being skeptical. How often have YOU met a Grim Reeper?
3. Charlie displayed her core need to "save" everyone she encounters, corporal or not.
4. No thanks for the funeral - I'm moving on.
5. The hardest part would be the inability to turn it OFF.
So LOVE this series!

Angie (amgiammarino) Thanks for chatting everyone! Chapters 7-9 are up on Wattpad now! Click here to read: http://www.wattpad.com/user/DaryndaJones

The winner of a phone call from Darynda is Angie! Angie, please message me with your contact info so we can set up your call!

Another winner will be chosen in the discussion of Chapters 7-9, so make sure to stop by!