Fringe Fiction Unlimited discussion

Questions/Help Section > Would you rather a book end on a cliffhanger or anticlimacticly?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 1826 comments Mod
Topic says it all - would you prefer a book ends with a whimper or on a "to be continued"?

message 2: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 380 comments If there actually is another book in the series, then a cliffhanger. If it's a single volume, then just give me the whimper and put me out of my misery lol.

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 1826 comments Mod
I would sooner be enticed into reading a second book than have it just sorta end without any real resolution or something that just wraps things up without caring how plausible it is.

message 4: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Anticlimatickly. A made up word that should be a word.

Cliffhanger, definitely. Although I'm not the biggest fan of cliffhangers, I'd rather have that than an anticlimaticly let down full of diappointment.

message 5: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Whimper is better than to be continued.

message 6: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 503 comments Yeah, for me it also depends on the book. However, I absolutely hate it when the cliffhanger looks like there are pages missing. You know the kind that stops in the middle of something for no reason at all but to have the reader buy the next book to read the next sentence.

I believe there is a difference between a cliffhanger and a lazy way of cutting a book in half. The first one is intriguing, the second one, a let down, in which case I'd say, "Give me the darn whimper."

message 7: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) Unless the anticlimax works for the story, definitely gimme the cliffhanger.

message 8: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) Everyone loves cliffhangers. They might say they don't, but they totally do. ;)

message 9: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn I'd prefer the cliffhanger, whether there was a sequel or not.

At least the cliffhanger gives you the opportunity to imagine the best or the worst for the characters. It invites you to go back, re-read, hypothesize; it's the thinking man's (or woman's) option.

The anticlimax makes me think, "why the hell did I read this? What was the point?" No one wants a book that they've invested a considerable amount of time in to fizzle out like a bad relationship :0)

message 10: by Pili (new)

Pili (piwi) As a reader cliffhangers can be very enticing or very frustrating, but I definitely prefer them to endings without some resolution or just too open and no sequel to come, those are even more frustrating!

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1352 comments Mod
As long as its not a WTF ending then I'm all set. I've come across way too many of those to just put the book down and say...Ugh!!Why?!