Lovers of Paranormal discussion

To Swear or Not To Swear. You Decide . . .

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lilo (new)

Lilo Abernathy (lilo_abernathy) | 1 comments Take the poll!

SWEAR WORDS IN URBAN FANTASY / PARANORMAL ROMANCE BOOKS?
I just checked my reviews today and saw a new one came in addressing swear words. The reader writes,

"I like that you told a great story and you didn't have to use curse words. Thank you for that."

This isn't the first time I've received this comment and I love that readers are communicating their thoughts on this. However, this wasn't really a goal of mine when I wrote the book. I'm not pro or con swear words. I'm fine with them when they fit the story . . . (Click here for the poll: http://bit.ly/1J5imrp)

message 2: by Anna, LoP BOTM & R2R mod (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) | 795 comments Mod
It depends on whether the swearing is integral to your character, and also the age-range and market you aim your book for. Obviously, the Christian Sweet market doesn't want any potty mouth at all! For young adult books, you're often dealing with gatekeepers who might sideline your book for outright swearing, although sometimes it's integral to your character (psuedo-swearing usually works better for YA).

But if you have a character who is a biker or gangbanger or crass mercenary, then NOT having them swear is disengenuous. Yes, it will turn some people off, so use it sparingly and always consider carefully whether it is necessary in that moment.