Fringe Fiction Unlimited discussion

Questions/Help Section > Library Question for Readers

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) I'm just curious. This question is for readers only.

How often do you buy a book after reading a borrowed copy from the library?

Personally, if I absolute love the author's writing style, I'll go on a shopping spree after visiting the library. But, I have to admit, that only happens about 10% of the time.

How about the rest of you?

message 2: by Quentin (last edited Apr 21, 2015 11:32AM) (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 380 comments If you mean the same book, then pretty much never for me. I'm just not the type to read a book over and over because I have so many books I haven't read yet. I do read a book over from time to time, just not often.

message 3: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Yeah, the same book. It's rare for me as well. Usually, it's more like the other way around. I've bought and read one book from an author, and want to check out other books from the same author. I'll go to the library. My curiosity is usually satisfied enough with the library, I don't bother to take it from there.

When I buy books it's because I want it as a part of my collection, not always to read over and over, but just to have a full set. Comic books are a great example. Sometimes I just have to have the full collection. Libraries can be useful to sample and see if I really do want the whole collection.

message 4: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 380 comments Comic books I actually will read over and over, just not so much novels.

message 5: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Totally understand. Sadly, seeing comic books in libraries is rare. The standards maybe, like Superman, if you're lucky.

I don't know. Reading novels from libraries is more like a past time for me, if I have the time. Just a hobby.

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) V.M. wrote: "I like the trade versions of comics, because you can get an author's entire run. If I buy (bargain bin) individual issues or get one from the library, that usually tells me whether I want that auth..."

For sure, it's handy to sample.

message 7: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 175 comments If I adore the book, then I will buy it for myself. It doesn't happen a lot, though.

message 8: by Dina (new)

Dina Roberts What do you mean for reader's only?

Are there people on Goodreads who are not readers?

message 9: by Shari-amor (last edited Apr 21, 2015 12:59PM) (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments Well it depends really. Usually I'm like Lily with reading a book that I love and finding out it's a long ass series then getting books from the library.

I have bought books that I first discovered in the library. I do re-read often so I have no issue with purchasing a book that I've already read. I usually wait until it happens to be on sale by the author or it was cheap in the first place. I like having my own physical copy. I'd say I do this about 40% of the time. I'd do it more if I had the funds. Library is an excellent way to figure if an author and/or book is for you before you decide you wanna spend money on that author's work.

message 10: by Shari-amor (last edited Apr 21, 2015 12:57PM) (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments Dina wrote: "What do you mean for reader's only?

Are there people on Goodreads who are not readers?"

Because there is another Library topic for authors. This is to help people know they are in the appropriate thread. Is there anything you'd like to add to the discussion!?

message 11: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Dina wrote: "What do you mean for reader's only?

Are there people on Goodreads who are not readers?"

Just for the sake of clarity in this group, that it's not an author question. Any author who would like to answer the question, put on your reader's hat :)

message 12: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Heh, what Shari said ;)

message 13: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 503 comments I never reread a book, yet a few months ago, I wanted to buy a sequel to a book I adored. I found it in a second hand store. Since the eBook was ten dollars and the hard cover, 15$, I opted for the physical book. They also had the first one I had already read, and yes, I bought that one too.

As I said, I don't reread, but I love to have my favorites on hand when I can. Something about holding them. I know I'm silly.

message 14: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) It's not silly, that's how I feel about my personal library. I bought a bookshelf specifically for the purpose of having my own collection where I can grab a book I want anytime.

message 15: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments G.G. wrote: "I never reread a book, yet a few months ago, I wanted to buy a sequel to a book I adored. I found it in a second hand store. Since the eBook was ten dollars and the hard cover, 15$, I opted for the..."

Nothing silly about that at all. Having books is very comforting.

message 16: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn Yes, I've bought many books after borrowing them from the library.

But, 1)it had to be a book that I loved and 2) one that I definitely envisioned myself reading again.

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1352 comments Mod
When I read a book I read it once and am done with it. Though I suppose if it's good enough from my library and I really really enjoyed it I'd buy it and read again. Though I also don't delete my books off kindle after I'm done reading them.

On a side note, our library here has a whole small section of graphic novels/comics.

message 18: by Gem (new)

Gem Larkspur (gemsl) | 62 comments I haven't done it often, but occasionally I'll buy a book I borrowed if it meet's Tabitha's criteria: 1)it had to be a book that I loved and 2) one that I definitely envisioned myself reading again.

message 19: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) A couple of times I thought I lost the library book, went ahead and paid the full fee, later found the book. So, acidentally bought own a couple of library books. But hey, at least I'm supporting my local library with my forgetfulness.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  | 1 comments I absolutely love audiobooks which is a very expensive format so I will first get them at the library. Though if I love a book or series I will buy the e-audiobook on my nook.I also love to buy my favorite books in hardcover.

Working at a bookstore and having a sweet discount can sometimes make it hard to resist buying things. Though working at a library keeps those urges in check.:)