Jodi Picoult Books Reading Group. discussion

Books Under Discussion > Second Glance

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clare (new)

Clare | 15 comments I just finished this book and found it to be very different from Picoult's other books. I wouldn't have known it was her writing except that she is listed as the author on the front cover. It is about supernatural events. Has anyone else read this? I'd be interested in what you think about it.

message 2: by Miss Kim (last edited Apr 01, 2008 09:34AM) (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) This book is different than the first few Picoult books I have read. I REALLY liked this one. I think its one of her best. I found the whole story interesting-- I had never heard of eugenics before this, and its hard to believe it was happening only 70 years ago.

I love a good ghost story, and this one has all of my favorite factors in it: mystery, romance, ghosts...

I loved this one.

What did you think?

message 3: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 23 comments I LOVED this one and I've always found it interesting that it doesn't seem to get as much attention as her other books. I remember feeling confused while reading it and waiting to see how it would all come together but then when it did I thought it was amazing.

I thought it was really interesting how she brought up the eugenics movement as a parallel to today's genetic counseling/testing. I'm interested to hear what others thought too.

message 4: by Clare (new)

Clare | 15 comments I have to admit I didn't care for this one. It was the supernatural stuff that I didn't like. The focus on eugenics/genetic counseling was interesting and timely.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (facetred) I really enjoyed this book it is one of my favorites of hers. The only way I thought it was different from her others is the lack of a trail of some sort... but now that I am typing I remember that Songs of the Humpback Whale and Harvesting the Heart did not have a trial either.

Anyway I love the Eugenics stuff especially how it brings to mind that some of man kinds most heinous acts are motivated by morality and a desire to help improve society in one way or another

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sariegirl) this wasn't one of my favorites by her. I had no issues with the topic - I thought that was interesting and in places I found myself down right creeped out. LOL

It was the ending that almost ruined the whole book for me. I found it to be totally unbelievable.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (skirt) | 5 comments I can't wait to read it! I love anything with a supernatural flair. The more crazy or unbeleivable the better. Why else read than to enter a totally different world and escape yours for a while!

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (skirt) | 5 comments Okay only 150 pages to go and this is now one of my favorites! I love this book!

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 27 comments I really want to read this one again!

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 7 comments the supernatural elements are what made me love this book....i loved it.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (greengirl1223) I just finished this book, and it was my first JP. Can anyone answer a question for me: Why did Ruby tell Luxe (Lia) about her identity? I inferred that Spencer Pike phoned Ruby, and that prompted her to tell, but this doesn't make sense after finishing the book.

I also thought the ending was a little far-fetched, but then again, the whole book has a supernatural premise.