YA LGBT Books discussion

C. Kennedy
This topic is about C. Kennedy
Author of the Month > April 2015 AotM - C. Kennedy

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 14537 comments This year, rather than talking about one book a month, we're choosing an author each month whose works we want to discuss.

You can read a new book by the author, or just comment on what you've already read by them. If you want to discuss a major plot point in a book, please put it into <*spoiler> tags so it is hidden from view. (If you don't know how to do this, PM me.)

You can discuss one book, or several, or the author's work in general. Hopefully, we'll help each other find authors and books to enjoy.

This month we will discuss the books of C. Kennedy. C. Kennedy

Cody Kennedy is the author of several YA books with LGBT main characters. His stories often deal with childhood abuse and its impact, both on the child and on those around them. They send a message of hope, but are also a call to action, and may be triggering for some individuals so do check blurbs if that topic is a tough one for you. In the end, though, the outcome of Cody's stories reminds us that life can get better, however bad it has been, and that human compassion and human love can outweigh darkness. With vivid characters and smooth writing, Cody brings us hope. His stories include

Omorphi
Safe
Fairy

And coming April 9th, Slaying Isidore's Dragons.

Cody Kennedy is also known for his real-life work with teens at risk.

Feel free to discuss any and all of these works. Please do use <*spoiler> tags to hide information that may spoiler a book for new readers. If you don't know how the tag works feel free to PM me. I hope you enjoy the books and the discussion.

message 2: by Mel (new)

Mel (MelLeach) | 828 comments Very well put, Kaje. That sums up Cody's works perfectly.

Where Cody really blows me away is with his ability to convey the horrors that his characters experience without traumatizing his readers. The readers who have been victims of abuse are spared the reliving of their own hell in his pages. And those who have not been victims are not crushed with such overwhelming grief and helplessness that they put the book down and walk away because they just can’t bear it. It is a fine line to walk and I have found that Cody walks that line with skill, grace and empathy. He delivers a very powerful message, but is always gentle with his readers.

His characters, through their evolution from ultimate devastation to a place of strength, courage, and perseverance, are truly inspiring. His message is a clarion call to everyone... to pay attention, be vigilant and reach out. Be a friend, listen and support. One person truly can make a difference.

message 3: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 14537 comments I'm really looking forward to Isadore coming out in a week :)

message 4: by C. (last edited Apr 11, 2015 06:32PM) (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments Kaje, thank you for your wonderful support and outstanding operation of the YA LGBT Books group. You are this group by making it what it is--a godsend to LGBT youth. It is a high honor and privilege of being Author of the Month!

Kaje wrote: "This year, rather than talking about one book a month, we're choosing an author each month whose works we want to discuss.

You can read a new book by the author, or just comment on what you've alr..."

message 5: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments Thank you for the wonderful comments, Mel. If I can offer even one young person an ounce of hope, then my work is done here. If can inspire each of us to take part in protecting youth and being a good friend, even better. Thank you again for the nomination!

Mel wrote: "Very well put, Kaje. That sums up Cody's works perfectly.

Where Cody really blows me away is with his ability to convey the horrors that his characters experience without traumatizing his readers...."

message 6: by Mel (new)

Mel (MelLeach) | 828 comments C. wrote: "Kaje, thank you for your wonderful support and outstanding operation of the YA LGBT Books group. You are this group by making it what it is--a godsend to LGBT youth. it is a high honor and privileg..."

I agree. Kaje does an amazing job with this group with all the picture prompts, updates on current events relevant to LGBT+ issues, and her wonderful stories. Plus she's a wonderful mentor and offers a great environment for people to just be who they are.

message 7: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments Mel wrote: "C. wrote: "Kaje, thank you for your wonderful support and outstanding operation of the YA LGBT Books group. You are this group by making it what it is--a godsend to LGBT youth. it is a high honor a..."

Totes agree, Mel! All of you are wonderful!

message 8: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 14537 comments Slaying Isidore's Dragons is now available.

I got my copy and when I'm done emoting over Heidi Cullinan's new book about an autistic guy and a guy with anxiety and depression then I'm looking forward to probably crying over this one :)

message 9: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 14537 comments Cody is doing a blog tour for Isidore - this post in particular caught my attention - http://lovebytesreviews.com/2015/04/1...

It's hard to write about abused characters, to make their situation feel real, their character feel authentic, and yet not seem like you are mining their pain for your fictional angst. Also important to remember there is no single reaction, or single timetable, for healing.

message 10: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments Kaje, you make me smile. All of my books have happy endings. :D

Thank you for sharing the post about the differences between Isidore and Christy. It is an important post not only for readers, but for those who suffer abuse, and those who work with them.

message 11: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 14537 comments I read Slaying Isidore's Dragons for this month's AOtM-

This book is a wild ride, a plot full of twists, some quite violent (mostly off-page), against a backdrop of abuse, but with a very sweet love story and one truly awesome mother in Sorcha, Declan's widowed Mum. The drama of the story has almost a modern fairytale feel to it, with near-archetypes of good and evil, leavened by some fun humor. The ending is definitely happy and hopeful for healing and joy after surviving childhood abuse. There is a message about strength coming in different forms, and also of letting yourself accept help when it's needed. If you have enjoyed other books by C. Kennedy, you will almost certainly like this one. 4 stars from me.

message 12: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments Thanks for the great comments and review, Kaje! I'm sorry I didn't see this comment sooner. Thank you very much!

Kaje wrote: "I read Slaying Isidore's Dragons for this month's AOtM-

This book is a wild ride, a plot full of twists, some quite violent (mostly off-page), against a backdrop of abuse, but with..."

message 13: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 14537 comments :) I'm seeing a lot of love for this book in its reviews. Congratulations.

message 14: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments Thank you so very much, Kaje.