Support for Indie Authors discussion

SIA Investigate > Alternatives to Absolute Write

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Bluntly but politely put, my trial with Absolute Write did not go well at all.

I do not give a rat's who you are. Call me things like "Aussie" or use conjunctions like "with autism", and everyone around you gets what you deserve. This place is literally so blind to the fact that being born with a different beat in your head obviates the "being difficult" normie defense.

As it is my goal to wake readers up to the fact that diversity means thinking different, I have no time for people who think it a slur to call the people you are writing commentary about what they are. None whatever.

So where else do I look? Or is this not the place to ask?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess mainly what I want to find at this stage is "somewhere to go to find evaluation and beta reading". Because what made AW toxic to me in essence is that the people there allowed themselves to write me things that really do make my adrenal glands go ape (eg "with autism", "aussie"). So I am going to obey my original instincts and just not talk to people about anything other than my writing.

That is, assuming I want to continue it anymore. One of them did ask me something that I think is quite valid. Why do I continue writing if I am not-enjoying it this much? The best answer I can give that question no longer helps me.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess what I am saying is "is there another board?".

message 4: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1511 comments Mod
you're on another board.

message 5: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Ann Andrews (annliviandrews) | 679 comments Mod
Hi Dean!

I believe what Riley means is that the purpose of this Goodreads group is to be supportive of all diverse readers, writers, and thinkers. We have a variety of resources available for everyone and with such a large group of self published authors involved, most questions can be answered.

We offer feedback and beta reading, as well as written reviews published on Amazon and Goodreads, with the focus always being respectful and encouraging.

One of the reasons that I started this group was because I was unable to find this type of group anywhere else.

I hope this answers your question. If not, feel free to message me and I will help in any way that I can.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 01, 2015 12:51PM) (new)

Feel your pain, Dean. I don't use writing boards. Nuff said. Well, except for Goodreads.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin Zarro | 95 comments That is awful, Dean. I'm a member of AW and I've seen some of the stuff they've done to people. Totally not cool.

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments I've been a member of AW for a long while and have found it helpful in many respects, but I don't use the critique or beta reader boards. It certainly has its share of opinionated individuals, but personal attacks such as you experienced, Dean, have no place on any discussion board. Sorry you had to deal with that.

I believe there are beta reader groups on Goodreads but I haven't tried them.

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 138 comments Not to sound like a total N00b but what's "Absolute Write"?

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 138 comments Gotcha.

message 11: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1022 comments Dean wrote: "I guess mainly what I want to find at this stage is "somewhere to go to find evaluation and beta reading"..."

OK, given that statement, my instinct is to direct you away from public boards and toward online writer workshops like critters.org.

Critters.org used to be science fiction only, but I think now they have different workshops for different genres.

The difference with these is that you have to sign up for the (critters is free), and then you have to participate by critiquing other people's work before your own will be eligible for critique.

As such, everyone has skin in the game. They have to work at helping others before getting anything out of it themselves. So the population they attract are people serious about writing and about improving their (and others') skills. They won't be as susceptible to flaming or insensitive behavior.

They do require commitment, though.

message 12: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1511 comments Mod
I can vouch for critters too. I use them on a couple of chapters I was having problems with in Breath of the Titans.

message 13: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments Micah wrote: "The difference with these is that you have to sign up for the (critters is free), and then you have to participate by critiquing other people's work before your own will be eligible for critique.

As such, everyone has skin in the game. They have to work at helping others before getting anything out of it themselves. So the population they attract are people serious about writing and about improving their (and others') skills. They won't be as susceptible to flaming or insensitive behavior."

That's pretty awesome.

message 14: by Edward (new)

Edward Antrobus (edwardantrobus) | 1 comments You can try critiquecircle.com Like what Micah described, to post your story for critiques, you need to earn credits by critiquing others work. That's what I use.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I know I have been AWOL for a while, but I just want to say thanks for the suggestions of critters and critiquecircle. I will go and investigate those now.

message 16: by B.E. (new)

B.E. (besanderson) Sorry you had that experience, Dean. You're not alone. I left AW in 2006 because of the behavior of some of the members, the cliques, the catty-ness. I've tried other forums since then with the same result - with the exception of this one. I'm still gun-shy, though, so I don't post much or often even here. Good luck in your search.

message 17: by V.W. (new)

V.W. Singer Have you tried WritingForums? I'm active there and the mods and regulars are nice or at least reasonable.

http://www.writingforums.org

message 18: by BR (new)

BR Kingsolver (brkingsolver) | 27 comments For critique and beta reads, here or WLC. Check out the various groups. There is one specifically to connect with beta readers. Kboards is good for publishing questions, but not so much for writing help.

message 19: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 59 comments There's a Beta Reader Group on Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...