Mock Newbery 2021 discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Oct 14, 2009 07:49AM) (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 509 comments Mod
There are a lot of sequels in our poll this month.
Has anyone followed any of these books? What do you think about them as a series?

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins is a sequel to her book The Hunger Games.

Al Capone Shines My Shoes by Gennifer Choldenko is a sequel to her book Al Capone Does My Shirts.

Fire by Kristin Cashore is actually a prequel to her book Graceling.

Forest Born by Shannon Hale is in her The Books of Bayern series, following: The Goose Girl, Enna Burning, and River Secrets.

A Season of Gifts by Richard Peck is the third book about Grandma Dowdel, following A Long Way From Chicago and A Year Down Yonder.

message 2: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 45 comments I really loved Graceling. I have n't gotten to Fire yet. I'm trying not to find out much about it, so when I read it, it will all be new.

I also loved Al Capone and Hunger Games. I know the Hunger Games is serial material, but I'm skeptical about the Choldenko one.

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 66 comments Fire isn't actually a prequel to Graceling, it's a companion novel. There's a crossover character but that's it. It is simply amazing! I loved Graceling but thought Fire was even better!! You don't have to read one before the other either.

The Hunger Games rocked and Catching Fire was good. I don't think Catching Fire is distinguished and you really need to read Hunger Games to enjoy Catching Fire.

Al Capone Shines My Shoes was fantastic, great voice! You don't need to read Al Capone does my shirts to understand or appreciate this one.

Rumor says you can read A Season of Gifts without reading the other Grandma Dowdel books. We'll see.

I'm reading Goose Girl now even though for Newbery, each book MUST stand on its own.

Great question!

message 4: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Cole (bookwink) | 11 comments Fire definitely does stand alone, but knowing who that crossover character is from Graceling makes Fire that much more compelling I think. I wonder if Fire would have the same impact for readers who haven't read Graceling yet.