Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

Genre Discussions > Paranormal or Steampunk

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1632 comments Mod
Do you like a paranormal twist with your history and your mystery? This is the place to discuss historical mysteries with paranormal or steampunk elements.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 144 comments Do we consider Historical Fantasy in this category? I'm fond of the "Gentleman Bastards" series and "Song of Ice and Fire" which have sort of a historical flair.

message 3: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Chris wrote: "Do we consider Historical Fantasy in this category? I'm fond of the "Gentleman Bastards" series and "Song of Ice and Fire" which have sort of a historical flair."

I don't know that I'd consider the Gentleman Bastards either a historical or a mystery (haven't read the other series so I don't know about that one). The books are set in a world with no technology (very common in epic fantasy) but the world is so different from ours that I wouldn't call it historical.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1632 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "Do we consider Historical Fantasy in this category? I'm fond of the "Gentleman Bastards" series and "Song of Ice and Fire" which have sort of a historical flair."

I wouldn't think so. Both of those series are solidly in the fantasy genre and are neither historical nor mysteries.

Steampunk is historical in the sense that the genre depicts an alternate history (either Victorian England or the American Wild West) in which technological advances based on steam power are more advanced than in the actual historical period.

Moreover, many books in this genre include mysteries to be solved like in A. W. Exley's Artifact Hunters and Paul Crilley's Tweed & Nightingale series.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

My fav steampunk mysteries are the Burton & Swinburn series that begins with The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack