Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Strangers
This topic is about Strangers
Stand Alone Novels 1986-1990 > Strangers (Group Read - March 2015)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 6034 comments Mod
Here is a brand new thread for discussing our March 2015 Group Read, Strangers! There is an older thread from when this title was previously featured and the older thread is also available to view in the Current Group Read Discussion Folder until the end of March.

Please use Spoiler Alerts where you feel necessary, so as to not ruin the story for others while discussing. Thank you for your participation & Happy Reading!

message 2: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 71 comments Excited for this one! :D

I will probably start Strangers this weekend. I think I have only read it twice.

message 4: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley (ashpur7) | 2 comments Now that I am done with Saint Odd I don't know how soon I will be able to start another Koontz book. However since I have not read this one yet and I own it I want to read it!

Ashley wrote: "Now that I am done with Saint Odd I don't know how soon I will be able to start another Koontz book. However since I have not read this one yet and I own it I want to read it!"

Okay, You can take a break from Koontz until next month :-) AKA Next Week.

Strangers is quite interesting. I'm looking forward to re-reading the book. I remember liking the overall message of the novel.

Mike | 2 comments I know that it isn't March yet. However, I already started reading this book because of the length. Even though I'm a Dean Koontz fan, I haven't read this book before. So far, I'm loving it. I don't want to put it down. If I could forego sleep, I would in order to read this book!

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Oh Mike, that's how I felt when I first read this book. Being a teacher, with piles of papers to grade, I didn't get much time to read before bedtime. Finally on the last day of reading it I stayed up till 2:00 am to finish it.

message 8: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Aizenberg (vanessaturnspages) Ok after i fonish eyes of darkness

This is one of Dean's lengthier novels :-)

I am currently re-reading Odd Interlude and then I will start Strangers. Glad to see so many people interested in the March Book.

message 11: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Aizenberg (vanessaturnspages) awesome then let's read what the night knows

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Vanessa maybe we can do a mini group read with What the Night Knows. Let's see if we can get some more interested in it.

Vanessa wrote: "awesome then let's read what the night knows"

I didn't like the book, but I am willing to give it another try. Can we do a start date of Mid March?

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Do you want to do a mini-group read then. That's good for me.

What the Night Knows is on :-) I'll update the book & discussion thread soon for a mid-march start date. Anyone is welcome to join in reading or reading that title.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 94 comments I've been meaning to read Strangers for a long time- ordered it from the bookstore-can't wait!

Rachel wrote: "I've been meaning to read Strangers for a long time- ordered it from the bookstore-can't wait!"

Awesome! :-)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments It's always fun to re-read a Koontz book!

message 19: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Aizenberg (vanessaturnspages) Thanks this group is awesome

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments I don't know how many times I have read Strangers but when I started yesterday, it was like the first time, it was that exciting. (Maybe part of it is that being a "senior" my brain forgets) That's okay because THIS is the style of Koontz I love and much better than some of his more recent non-Odd books.

First thing I noticed ... Laguna Beach ... isn't that where one of the Odd books is set? Also realizing I had read this when it first came out in 1986 I felt so old when there is mention of the word processor display writer.

Warning for Dustin ... Beware susurration awaits you.

David Dux | 2 comments I'm almost done. I can't wait to see how it all ends. This is definitely one of the best Koontz books I've ever read.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments David I feel the same way. I wanted to stretch it out over several days but because I am having difficulty walking today I have a feeling I'll be finished today.

David wrote: "I'm almost done. I can't wait to see how it all ends. This is definitely one of the best Koontz books I've ever read."

Hell Yeah!

Karen, ever since you mentioned the word "susurration" back in the day, I have noticed the word in nearly every Dean Koontz book I have read since. I had never noticed it before you mentioned it :-) It is so funny how just the mention of the word "susurration" makes me notice it.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Wow this was a great read ... again! I know Watchers is my favorite but this has to be my second favorite.

message 26: by PF (new)

PF O'Friar (wineamyhouse) | 61 comments I will start tonight, it is lengthy!

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 94 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Karen, ever since you mentioned the word "susurration" back in the day, I have noticed the word in nearly every Dean Koontz book I have read since. I had never noticed it before you mentioned it :-..."

so now i have to look up "susurration" because i have no idea what it means lol- it's been too long since i've read a dean book-he always helps me expand my vocabulary :D

message 28: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 109 comments Susurration : a soft murmur or whisper.

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 94 comments Betsy wrote: "Susurration : a soft murmur or whisper."

Thanks Betsy! :D

Karen B. wrote: "Wow this was a great read ... again! I know Watchers is my favorite but this has to be my second favorite."

Done Already?

Tracy | 528 comments Rachel wrote: "Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Karen, ever since you mentioned the word "susurration" back in the day, I have noticed the word in nearly every Dean Koontz book I have read since. I had never..."

He does that for me as well Rachel.

Tracy | 528 comments This is one of the many I have not yet read. I hope to do that this month.

Reading Strangers brings back recollections of reading The Key to Midnight and The House of Thunder, but perhaps these are just false memories.

message 34: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 71 comments How's everyone coming along with this? I'm on page 268.

Holly wrote: "How's everyone coming along with this? I'm on page 268."

Which edition are your reading?

Holly wrote: "How's everyone coming along with this? I'm on page 268."

I am also on page 268 of this large paperback edition:
Strangers by Dean Koontz

message 37: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 71 comments I have the smaller paperback edition.

Tracy | 528 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Holly wrote: "How's everyone coming along with this? I'm on page 268."

I am also on page 268 of this large paperback edition:
Strangers by Dean Koontz"

You aren't listening to it Dustin? Dick Hill narrates is and I really like him. He narrates in a lot of the mysteries I listen to.

Yes, I am listening but I like to follow along in printed form - easier to help me keep track and update my progress :-)

I have listened to Dick Hill before because he narrates many of the Stephen White books which are set here in Boulder. I was thinking that the voice he used for Ginger changed from the beginning - to me it sounded different - almost the same as the female child voice he is using for Stacie. I have noticed before that sometimes narrators get mixed up the character voices. This is just something I pick up on and with a large cast of characters such as this, it can happen.

Tracy | 528 comments Yeah, he does Stuart Woods Stone Barrington series. I really like his voice.

message 41: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike | 2 comments Just finished! Overall, I loved the book. I just wanted a little more at the end.

Tracy | 528 comments I've started this but not to in it yet. Work is killing me.

Mike wrote: "Just finished! Overall, I loved the book. I just wanted a little more at the end."

It has been over 7 years since I last read this book. There is much background given on specific characters in this novel. I am hoping for a good payoff in the end. I remember enjoying the ending last time and I hope that happens again :-)

Tracy | 528 comments This is my first go round with Strangers. There is a lot of intro though.

Yes. A Lot!

What are your thoughts on government conspiracies? Does the government cover up things? Strangers was written before The X-Files. In the X-Files we learn who shot JFK and that it was a cover-up. (view spoiler)

Just curious if we have any conspiracy theorists among us :-)

Tracy | 528 comments Haha yeah Dustin. Even if they don't I will always think they do. And I LOVED the X Files.

I have wondered if The X-Files got some ideas from Dean Koontz and then you see Dean Koontz mentioning The X-Files quite a bit in his novels that were written in the 90's - early 2000's.

I'm looking forward to the third X-Files Movie :-)

Tracy wrote: "This is my first go round with Strangers. There is a lot of intro though."

Have you read The House of Thunder or The Key to Midnight?

Tracy | 528 comments No Dustin, I haven't. Are they XFile'ish? Or do they have conspiracy theories in them?

« previous 1