Beyond Reality discussion

Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
This topic is about Gardens of the Moon
SERIES—List & Discussions > Malazan Book of the Fallen--GARDENS OF THE MOON: Roll Call and First Impressions (*NO SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3153 comments Mod
Please let us know if you've read or are planning to read Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson.

Please, **NO SPOILERS!!**

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well, I'm about 50 pages in and telling myself not to be too concerned about keeping every place and character straight since I've barely dipped my toes in the deep pool of this story/series.

Maggie K | 298 comments I'd say the whole first half of this book is confusing! I almost gave up the first time I read it... You definitely don't get a lot of info dumps!

After a while though it really starts to come together....

message 4: by David (new)

David Blyth | 3 comments It's on my to read list starting later this month

Tani | 132 comments I'll be starting as soon as I'm done with my current read.

message 6: by Shel, Moderator (new) - added it

Shel (shel99) | 2175 comments Mod
I'm on the waiting list at the library!

Zachary Roner | 4 comments I read this book just about a year ago, along with the second in the series. I might do a quick skim of the first two before we start on the third book in the series.

Helen I'll be joining in, might read my library book next though. I'm looking forward to it.

message 9: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 819 comments I meant to get started this weekend but was distracted and never got the chance to read anything. I should tonight though and I'm hoping to be near done by the 15th.

Antonis (antonakis) | 43 comments I will also start reading this very soon, hopefuly around mid-February.

message 11: by Ken (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I finished this one couple of years ago.
I enjoyed it, it was good but it was the weakest of the series so far(I will be starting book 8 end of March)

Teanka I've just begun listening to an audiobook version of Gardens of the Moon. It's my fourth re-read (I read it for the first time when it came out) and it's my favourite of the series. So far, I've read 5 out of ten Malazan books (plus a couple by Esslemont, and recently also the prequel) and now I'd like to read all of them from the beginning. I'm really happy that I have found this group and topic.

I know that for many people the beginning of this series is confusing, as there are lots of characters, facts and viewpoints. However, this is exactly what I enjoyed most about the book. It starts right there in the middle of a story and you just have to figure out who is who and what is happening, and the world is huge. Plus it contains so many POVs it's hard to remember them all. The list of characters is very helpful there.

message 13: by Justine (new) - added it

Justine | 2 comments After reading WOT I needed a new epic series of books to get my teeth into. Started Gardens of the moon last week and I'm on 30%. the complexity of the book is fine but I just cant seem to get into it and I don't know why, the book has all the ingredient that I love so why is it not happening?

Teanka Well compared to WOT Erikson is not so focused on his characters so maybe that's why, it was far easier to connect to Rand or Perrin than to Paran or Anomander. However the worldbuilding in Malazan series is amazing. I hope you warm up to the story eventually :)

message 15: by Ken (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments They other thing with Malazan is its not warm and fuzzy like WOT. Malazan is hard and brutal.

Teanka This is not a WOT thread so maybe I shouldn't comment on that, but it's obvious you haven't read all 14 volumes of the WOT, Ken, or otherwise you'd know it's many things but not warm and fuzzy :) . And its ending 3 volumes cowritten by Brandon Sanderson are great IMHO. The feel of the series changes after some books. But you're right that Malazan is even more brutal, especially in dispensing with some of the protagonists early on.

Antonis (antonakis) | 43 comments I will start reading this today as I can't wait until the 15th nor can I squeeze in another book in the meantime. :D

message 18: by Justine (last edited Feb 06, 2015 08:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments I'm planning to read Gardens of the Moon hopefully mid-February. I have read it once before a few years back, but I wasn't completely taken with it; however, I want to give the series another try as so many people just love it.

message 19: by Ken (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Teanka wrote: "This is not a WOT thread so maybe I shouldn't comment on that, but it's obvious you haven't read all 14 volumes of the WOT, Ken, or otherwise you'd know it's many things but not warm and fuzzy :) ..."

Yeah I read it, warm and fuzzy was maybe the wrong way to describe it. Couldn't think of a better way to describe the difference. WOT is mostly your garden varity Fantasy. Farm boy revealed to be the hero that will save the world.
Malazan isnt quite like that.

Helen I've started, this poor book has been on my shelf since publication, bless. I'm at the 'What is going on...? ' stage

message 21: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Feb 08, 2015 06:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Re: Wheel of Time and Malazan:
Wheel of time, at least in the first several books, is a kind of "quest" story, with the main character/hero and his/her supporting cast on one hand and the source of evil/villain and his/her supporting cast on the other. I know, it's more complex than that, but that is the bare bones and the heart of the story is how the characters change to fulfill their destinies.

Malazan is more like space opera, with a series of events that unfold and we get to know the characters as they live through the events. The heart of the story is how those events unfold and the various POVs that help the reader understand how & why.

I'm basing my opinion on having read WoT recently and what I've heard & read about Malazan, since I am a Malazan virgin. After I've read the series, I may have a totally different viewpoint.

Helen I just reached a 'What??!! You can't do that!' moment in book one. It's heating up.

message 23: by Teanka (last edited Feb 08, 2015 11:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teanka Now I wholly agree with the descriptions above. I just objected to the 'warm and fuzzy' part.
Malazan as a whole is also a lot more complex, with far more protagonists... but because of that it's harder to get into, at least for some readers. And even if you like a character and even if he/she doesn't get killed, there's no guarantee you'll hear from him/her in the next 2-3 volumes. Speaking generally, of course.

Helen No!!!

message 25: by mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 114 comments it has been a while, but I remember being distinctly underwhelmed and annoyed by the book for its first half. my main problems were the prose, which I found clunky and amateurish, and the characterization for several characters but especially Paran, who I found flat and annoying.

but somewhere around the middle or later, the prose just didn't matter much to me any more because the narrative itself was so thrilling. and the characterization (except for Paran) became a lot richer and more interesting too. I may have read the last third all in one sitting because it was really exciting.

I've been told that Erikson's writing skills dramatically improved after the first book, so I'm especially looking forward to restarting this series with Deadhouse Gates.

message 26: by Ken (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I feel the same way.
The first book was all over the place. The rest seemed to settle down and concentrate on specific storylines.

message 27: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 819 comments I have not managed to get as far as I would like (why can't reading be a priority like work and paying bills?), but I'm really enjoying what I have read so far.

Helen Yes, work has interfered with my reading, my boss will insist I turn up!

Juliana | 18 comments I'm in for a re-read!

message 30: by Shel, Moderator (new) - added it

Shel (shel99) | 2175 comments Mod
Just got notified that my library copy has arrived, but I have another library book (Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption) that I've just started and have to finish first!

Daniel (dward526) starting a read through of the Malazan books (1st time) So far, I am loving it.

Helen Welcome to the party.

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments Yes, great to have another person join in. :)

message 34: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel wrote: "starting a read through of the Malazan books (1st time) So far, I am loving it."

Glad to have you along!! Please join in the various discussions, if you wish. Most of us are monitoring all the threads in the Malazan folder.