What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Secret of Crickley Hall
This topic is about The Secret of Crickley Hall
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. english ghost story/movie [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Harry | 34 comments This is an adult horror book. I believe it takes place between ww1 & ww2. The movie switches back from the past to the future throughout. A woman comes to an orphanage to teach. She soon realizes the children are being physically abused by school master. School master gets migraines and whips himself to make them go way. There is a huge well in the basement with a grate over it. Years before some children had drowned. I think a couple is investigation the modern haunting and they go to the church cemetery to find an elderly man tending the graves of a row of children. At the end the teacher seems to realize she is a ghost and the children are also and she leads them all out of the school, so they can be free.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
So it's a book that was made into a movie? What year did you read it?

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 256 comments Was English the original language?

I'm thinking of the Orphanage, it sorta fits but is in Spanish.

message 4: by Lannette (new)

Lannette (dancinqueen) | 3 comments No nothing like that and i dont believe it was made into a book.i dont think im even explaining them right. She an author and she made a collection of teenage highschool young adult books and their all based on normal teenage stuff nothing extra nothing magical or anythinglike that thanks.

message 5: by Isabel (kittiwake) (last edited Feb 02, 2015 04:40AM) (new)

Isabel (kittiwake) | 117 comments I am fairly sure that you are thinking of The Secret Of Crickley Hall by James Herbert. It was made into a 3-part TV series a couple of years ago. The orphanage story is set in WWII, and there is a modern-day story about a couple and their teenage daughter who move into the house after their 5-year-old son was abducted, and maybe it is their loss that makes them more susceptible to the haunting.

message 6: by Suki (new)

Suki (sukisu) | 3 comments Seconding Isabel's suggestion of The Secret of Crickley Hall. I just watched the film a few days ago and it sounds exactly as you describe.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Harry | 34 comments Thank you, thank you, thank you Isabel!! I get obsessed about these things and now I can calm down and go get the book!