Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Malazan Book of the Fallen: Introduction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments (I am posting this general info, written by Kathi, so that this series folder will be open and accessible for posting. From this point forward, Kathi and/or members reading along can post whatever threads are necessary or useful. Please note that the abbreviated name of the series folder was a compromise with the character limit imposed by Goodreads. - Candiss, for the mods)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Malazan Book of the Fallen series read, and thanks for joining us!

While there are a number of books related to the world of Malazan, we will be sticking to the 10 books by Steven Erikson that are identified as the Malazan Book of the Fallen, in the order listed here (publication order).

Gardens of the Moon
Deadhouse Gates
Memories of Ice
House of Chains
Midnight Tides
The Bonehunters
Reaper's Gale
Toll the Hounds
Dust of Dreams
The Crippled God

Our discussion of the first book, Gardens of the Moon, will begin on February 15 and will continue through March 14 (and beyond). In addition to the standard topics for "Planning to Read-No Spoilers" and "Finished-Spoil Away", there will also be weekly topics with spoilers allowed for sections of the book so that we can discuss the book as we are reading it (see schedule below). You can also feel free to add your own topics about particular characters, plot points, etc.

Starting Feb. 15: Prologue, Books 1 & 2
Starting Feb. 22: Books 3 & 4
Starting Mar. 1: Books 5 & 6
Starting Mar. 8: Book 7 & Epilogue

We will divide the other novels into similar chunks, so the longer books may take us 6-8 weeks to discuss rather than one month. Thanks again for joining this discussion!

message 2: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2150 comments Mod
Awesome! Thanks Kathi! I'm on the waiting list for Gardens of the Moon at the library, so hopefully it arrives in good time for the discussion :)

message 3: by David (new)

David Blyth | 3 comments I've bought all 10 books in this series as they were published with the intention of reading them as a series at some point. This provides the stimulus. Many thanks. I look forward to contributing to the discussions

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3111 comments Mod
I am posting all the thread topics for the first book, Gardens of the Moon now so that people can discuss plot developments as they read. Please be careful to post in the correct sections of the book so that any spoilers (or questions that may lead to spoilers) match that section of the book. Thanks!

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments David wrote: "I've bought all 10 books in this series as they were published with the intention of reading them as a series at some point. This provides the stimulus. Many thanks. I look forward to contributing ..."
I did to. After Martin and Jordan I was worried that Erikson wouldnt keep it up. He did. Every year a new book.

message 6: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 501 comments Mod
I read the first four books last year, but then kind of fizzled. I welcome the series read, going to give it a try again.

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Just a reminder that the discussion for Gardens of the Moon continues through March 14 and the threads will remain available throughout the entire series read.

I will post the discussion topics for Deadhouse Gates prior to March 15, which is when our discussion for that book officially commences. I will post all the threads for the book at once, as I did for GotM, so that people can read and discuss as they go along. Please continue to respect the practice of having spoilers match the section of the book for each thread.

Let me just add that Gardens of the Moon has not been as bleak or as overwhelming as I feared--there are lots of great moments, some humor, catchy dialogue, and fascinating characters. The plot developments are intriguing and sometimes confusing, with gods, magic, soldiers, budding romance. I'm hooked, and I hope you are, too!

Xan Shadowflutter (shadowflutter) | 24 comments I'm enjoying to too, Kathi, but am a little behind. Still in the second section.

What's with Hairlock becoming Pinocchio? Is that a joke?

message 9: by Maggie (last edited Feb 23, 2015 01:41PM) (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments xan-(view spoiler)

message 10: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Feb 23, 2015 07:18PM) (new)

Xan Shadowflutter wrote: "I'm enjoying to too, Kathi, but am a little behind. Still in the second section.

What's with Hairlock becoming Pinocchio? Is that a joke?"

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2150 comments Mod
I just finally started last night, am about 30 pages in. So far so good, though I'm not sure I know what's going on yet!

Can we avoid spoilers in this thread please? Thanks!

message 12: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Shel wrote: "I just finally started last night, am about 30 pages in. So far so good, though I'm not sure I know what's going on yet!

Can we avoid spoilers in this thread please? Thanks!"

My bad, sorry! Will edit to add spoiler tag.

message 13: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I have posted the topics for Deadhouse Gates and our discussion officially begins on March 15. However, I know some of us have started (or finished) it already, so feel free to post.

Remember, all the topics will remain available, so if you are not "up to date", no worries. Join in any time!!

message 14: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Mar 31, 2015 08:42AM) (new)

I am looking ahead to Memories of Ice and deciding how to divide it up. The simplest way would be similar to what we did for the first 2 books in the series, but there are a lot of pages in the last 2 sections of the book, so my inclination is to do a week for the Prologue and Book 1, a week for Book 2 (both would be about 200 pages) and then divide the rest of the book into 3 sections. Any reactions?

Edited to add that our discussion of Memories of Ice (MoI) is scheduled to begin April 12.

message 15: by Helen (new)

Helen I'm happy whatever you do Kathi, I tend to start and keep going regardless of the structure anyway - I'm such a rebel.

message 16: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Helen wrote: "I'm happy whatever you do Kathi, I tend to start and keep going regardless of the structure anyway - I'm such a rebel."

:-)
I just don't want those who are pacing their reading to feel overwhelmed. I, too, have just been barging ahead, which is part of the reason why I post all the topics for the book at once, so people can comment in the appropriate places without worrying about spoilers.

message 17: by Helen (last edited Apr 01, 2015 11:15AM) (new)

Helen Split it into three, that should please the racers and plodders. :)

message 18: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments Yes, please split it however...although since I too tend to be a barge ahead person who then forgets what happened when I sometimes end up just putting all my comments at the end so that I don't inadvertently spoil anything by putting it in the wrong section (unless I'm responding, which makes it easier). :)

message 19: by Helen (new)

Helen I'm so glad that I'm not alone!

message 20: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Hello intrepid MBotF readers!
I have posted the topic threads for Memories of Ice. As you can see, we will be taking 5 weeks for this book, so please watch where you post once you get into Books 3 & 4 so that, if you share any spoilers, they are in the appropriate topic.
Thanks!

message 21: by Helen (new)

Helen Yessir. My cold is affecting my brain, I couldn't work out the dates for ages, kept thinking why are we reading in December. Lol.

message 22: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments I forgot to post this sooner (my apologies), but here is a link to the wiki page with the maps so anyone who wants to print or view them in a larger size can do that:

http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Categor...

I've been advised this page is spoiler free, although the rest of the wiki is not, so don't click around off that page if you don't want to inadvertently spoil something for yourself:)

message 23: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Thanks much!

message 24: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Hello, Malazan Readers!! Welcome to May!

We are working our way through Memories of Ice, but if you are reading Gardens of the Moon or Deadhouse Gates, no worries. Those discussions are still open and will continue to be available for questions & comments. Please add your thoughts!!

Later this month we will start House of Chains. Like Memories of Ice, this is a large book. I am planning to divide it into chunks of about 200 pages per week for the discussion. Please let me know what you think of that idea. As I have been doing for the other books, I will post all the topics for the book at once, so readers can go at their own pace and comment in the appropriate threads.

Also, please note that anyone can add a topic. If you want to talk about the magic system, the military, Erikson's writing in general, etc., please feel free to start a topic!

Thanks!

message 25: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments Technical question...How do you actually add a spoiler tag? I've see people do that but I have no idea how to actually do it in the comments. The reason I'm asking is that even though I'm commenting in the appropriate area, there are some things that are just so huge that I didn't feel right even putting them into words know that someone else might accidentally read them before they get there. If I know I'm ahead of everyone (like I was in Memories of Ice) I really don't want to spoil things for people coming up behind me. I'd feel better knowing certain things could be hidden. :)

message 26: by Teanka (new)

Teanka Click on the some html is ok in the upper right corner of the message box and there are some handy hints there, including how to add a spoiler tag. It's basically (spoiler)your text(/spoiler) just use <> brackets instead of () as I did in order to show you :)

message 27: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments Thanks, Anna, I will try that. :)

message 28: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments Oh my goodness, June already. Kathi, do you have a sort of date in mind for Midnight Tides? I'm OK doing it whenever, I just want to do some planning. :)

message 29: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Justine wrote: "Oh my goodness, June already. Kathi, do you have a sort of date in mind for Midnight Tides? I'm OK doing it whenever, I just want to do some planning. :)"

We will officially finish House of Chains on June 21. I'm OK with starting Midnight Tides then, but we have a few people who are not reading as quickly as the schedule, so I'm debating a short break before moving on. Or maybe after Midnight Tides, since we would be halfway through the series at that point.

Opinions?

message 30: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments I'm fine with whatever everyone else wants to do. I'm all caught up, but I don't mind waiting if there are a few people who want to catch up.

message 31: by Helen (new)

Helen I'll finish book I started on holiday and leap straight back into memories. I'll move on to chains then. It'll probably be at least the end of June by then but don't wait on my behalf, I can visit the threads and wake you up.

message 32: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Jun 14, 2015 12:43PM) (new)

Just to let everyone know...
The last section of House of Chains is officially this week's read. I know people are all over the place, and that's OK, no worries. Just join in whenever and wherever works for you!

However, I am putting up the folders for Midnight Tides today (but with the correct dates, with the first section starting 6/21/15) because I will be away next weekend and don't know if I'll have a chance to post them.

I just want to say that I'm so happy to have fellow travelers on this journey to Malazan! Thanks to everyone who has or will join the discussion!

message 33: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments Thanks for being such a great read moderator, Kathi, especially on a big project like this which requires so much organization!

message 34: by Tani (new)

Tani | 132 comments Yes, thank you, Kathi. You've been doing a tremendous job!

message 35: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Jun 15, 2015 08:07AM) (new)

*blush*
Thanks!

message 36: by Helen (new)

Helen Well done indeed.

message 37: by Helen (new)

Helen Maggie, how do the other Malazan books and author fit into the scheme? Also, are they as good?

message 38: by Helen (new)

Helen Is it irresponsible to spend almost £50 on the remaining six Malazan books? Well if it is tough, I've already ordered them!

message 39: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments It's never irresponsible to spend money on books. :)

message 40: by Helen (new)

Helen :-D

message 41: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Jun 28, 2015 07:26PM) (new)

Helen wrote: "Is it irresponsible to spend almost £50 on the remaining six Malazan books? Well if it is tough, I've already ordered them!"

Good for you. I am adding them to my list of books to watch for but am not (NOT) going to order them new. *Kathi says sternly to herself*

Edited to clarify that I was talking about the Esslemont books that take place in the same world as Erikson's core series of 10 books.

message 42: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments The Esslemont Books? They deal with particular back stories in Malazan, and give some great insight into what happens...
The first book, Night of Knives is about the night that Emperor Kellanved and Dancer 'die' and become ascendants, leaving Surly the barmaid to become Empress Laseen!
A lot of people criticize the writing, which really isn't fair, because you cant expect someone else to write like Steven Erikson. But they were solid, and kept improving.

message 43: by Helen (new)

Helen That sounds quite interesting, I might have to read a couple. I can't believe I've waited so long to read this series.

message 44: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Tomorrow (July 19) will be our final week with Midnight Tides, so it's time to look ahead to our next book, The Bonehunters.

We will start The Bonehunters on July 26, but I am posting the discussion threads today because I have the time. This book will be spread over 8 weeks, with about 150 pages per week. I am spreading it out for a couple reasons--it is the longest book to date in our series read, and I will be out of the country for 3 weeks while we are reading this book, so it gives me a little cushion to keep up and to monitor the discussions as well as possible.

I hope those of you who are reading the series, at whatever point you are in the series, are enjoying the books and our discussion.

message 45: by Helen (new)

Helen Going anywhere nice? I have two books that I need to read then I'll read two back to back. Finish school a week Monday, four weeks off for lovely reading, woohoo. Although I do have a 5000 word essay to write, again!

message 46: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Helen wrote: "Going anywhere nice? I have two books that I need to read then I'll read two back to back. Finish school a week Monday, four weeks off for lovely reading, woohoo. Although I do have a 5000 word ess..."

My husband & I are going to spend 3 weeks in Ireland, visiting his cousins and playing tourist. I think it will be fun--it's been about 16 years since our last visit.

message 47: by Helen (new)

Helen I'm in north England. It's finally earning up here. We've had actual sunshine. Just in time for you to enjoy. Safe travels.

message 48: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments That sounds great, Kathi. I'm going to be a bit late starting The Bonehunters so the extra cushion is good for me too. I'm glad you are getting away for a nice holiday with your husband; I'm sure you will have a lovely time. :)

message 49: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Just a reminder to all the intrepid MBotF readers: I will be traveling until early September, and while I will have access to email & internet, I don't know how much time I will be spending online. The folders for our current book, The Bonehunters, are all accessible (as some of you already know), and the folders for the previous 5 books are also open for discussion.

I had hoped to finish The Bonehunters before I left, since it is a brick to bring on the plane, but I won't finish in time and so I guess I'll just lug it along. I don't want to start something else because I fear I won't remember what is going on in this complex book.

message 50: by Helen (new)

Helen Lol. I left HoC when I went on holiday! Have a great time, we'll try and cope without you.

« previous 1