The Pickwick Club discussion

David Copperfield
This topic is about David Copperfield
David Copperfield > Reading schedule, and general remarks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Tristram (last edited Feb 01, 2015 04:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tristram Shandy Dear Fellow Pickwickians,

I am now posting our reading schedule. The dates are posted in European fashion, i.e. day before month.

12/02 - 18/02: I, 1-3
19/02 - 25/02: II, 4-6
26/02 - 04/03: III, 7-9
05/03 - 11/03: IV, 10-12
12/03 - 18/03: V, 13-15
19/03 - 25/03: VI, 16-18
26/03 - 01/04: VII, 19-21
02/04 - 08/04: VIII, 22-24
09/04 - 15/04: IX, 25-27
16/04 - 22/04: X, 28-31
23/04 - 29/04: XI, 32-34
30/04 - 06/05: XII, 35-37
07/05 - 13/05: XIII, 38-40
14/05 - 20/05: XIV, 41-43
21/05 - 27/05: XV, 44-46
28/05 - 03/06: XVI, 47-50
04/06 - 10/06: XVII, 51-53
11/06 - 17/06: XVIII, 54-57
18/06 - 24/07: XIX, 57-64

I hope there will be quite some members who are going to take part in the group read and the discussions!

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Hurry Everyman, post the schedule in real American fashion I'm already getting a headache.

Linda | 712 comments Kim wrote: "Hurry Everyman, post the schedule in real American fashion I'm already getting a headache."

LOL. I thought perhaps I might beat Everyman to it and post the American dates to help out. But looking at the list IS giving me a headache!! Let's see if I can forge ahead and give it a go, though...

Linda | 712 comments American dates listed below.

David Copperfield 2015

2/12 – 2/18: I, 1-3
2/19 – 2/25: II, 4-6
2/26 – 3/4: III, 7-9
3/5 – 3/11: IV, 10-12
3/12 – 3/18: V, 13-15
3/19 – 3/25: VI, 16-18
3/26 – 4/1: VII, 19-21
4/2 – 4/8: VIII, 22-24
4/9 – 4/15: IX, 25-27
4/16 – 4/22: X, 28-31
4/23 – 4/29: XI, 32-34
4/30 – 5/6: XII, 35-37
5/7 – 5/13: XIII, 38-40
5/14 – 5/20: XIV, 41-43
5/21 – 5/27: XV, 44-46
5/28 – 6/3: XVI, 47-50
6/4 – 6/10: XVII, 51-53
6/11 – 6/17: XVIII, 54-57
6/18 – 6/24: XIX, 57-64

message 5: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee Looking forward to the discussion... I read Copperfield a few weeks ago, or at least I managed to get halfway through. I loved Micawber, but couldn't stand Copperfield himself or the novel as a whole. So I'm curious what everybody else will make of it.

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Linda wrote: "American dates listed below.

David Copperfield 2015

2/12 – 2/18: I, 1-3
2/19 – 2/25: II, 4-6
2/26 – 3/4: III, 7-9
3/5 – 3/11: IV, 10-12
3/12 – 3/18: V, 13-15
3/19 – 3/25: VI, 16-18
3/26 – 4/1: V..."

Thanks Linda. I suppose I could have done it myself, but all that switching numbers around was bringing back nightmares of long past math classes. Long past and yet, still not long enough. :-}

Linda | 712 comments Kim wrote: "Thanks Linda. I suppose I could have done it myself, but all that switching numbers around was bringing back nightmares of long past math classes."

You're welcome. I still do plenty of math for work, so it's all good. :)

message 8: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2034 comments Linda wrote: "American dates listed below."

thanks for saving me. If one person volunteers to do it for each book we can spread the headaches.

At least until Tristram gives in and posts in Americanism!

message 9: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2034 comments Started DC last night. I thought I knew the book, but I'm finding some neat things I either hadn't noted on earlier reads or noted but forgot about.

But I'll save mentioning them until the discussion officially starts.

message 10: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2034 comments Tristram wrote: "Dear Fellow Pickwickians,

I am now posting our reading schedule. ."

Do these follow the original publication schedule?

Tristram Shandy Everyman wrote: "Tristram wrote: "Dear Fellow Pickwickians,

I am now posting our reading schedule. ."

Do these follow the original publication schedule?"

Yes, they do.

Uhm, sorry: Do they, yes. ;-)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) Yay for the American military then, Barbs! Logic wins again! :D

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Tristram wrote: "

Yes, they do.

Uhm, sorry: Do they, yes...."

OK, that was funny.

message 14: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Barbs wrote: "Kim wrote: "Hurry Everyman, post the schedule in real American fashion I'm already getting a headache."

American military do it day/month/year, like us."

Then it's good I never joined the military, I would have had to quit over the math. :-}

Hilary (agapoyesoun) Haha Kim! ;-)

Linda | 712 comments Everyman wrote: "thanks for saving me. If one person volunteers to do it for each book we can spread the headaches."

That sounds like a great plan!

message 17: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2034 comments Linda wrote: "Everyman wrote: "thanks for saving me. If one person volunteers to do it for each book we can spread the headaches."

That sounds like a great plan!"

We beat those Europeans back in 1776 and we can do it again!

Hilary (agapoyesoun) Hahaha! I hope that you have ALL your fingers and toes crossed! ;-)

Linda | 712 comments Everyman wrote: "We beat those Europeans back in 1776 and we can do it again!"

Ha! We need to do a headcount in the group here!

Hilary (agapoyesoun) Good idea, Linda, as long as you count 10 non-Americans for every 1 American. Seems fair to
me! :D

Tristram Shandy Everyman wrote: "We beat those Europeans back in 1776 and we can do it again! "

The military can, but the civilians would not be able to follow suit because they would always mix dates up.

Tristram Shandy Kim wrote: "Barbs wrote: "Kim wrote: "Hurry Everyman, post the schedule in real American fashion I'm already getting a headache."

American military do it day/month/year, like us."

Then it's good I never join..."

About the military and math, did I ever tell the story here when I was in the army - in the 90s ours used to be a country with general conscription - and some comrades and I had to load the floor of a truck with empty petrol cans because our sergeant wanted to find out how many of them would go onto it? Probably also because he wanted to keep us busy?

In case I didn't tell you, here goes:

We were given that thankless task with the intimation that it might keep us busy for some hours, and so what we, of course, did was put one row of cans along the length of the cargo area, another along the breadth and a last one along its height. The rest - I'm looking at you, Kim! - was a matter of multiplication.

We then whiled away two hours in the sunshine but after a while we felt bored and I went to the sergeant telling him the result. He looked at me, full of suspicion, and said, "You cannot have loaded and unloaded the truck in so short a time."

"No, we didn't", I answered.

"Then how do you know how many cans can go on that truck?"

So I explained to him how we did it. The man looked at me, flabberghasted and even more suspicious, and then he said, "Well with those new-fangled methods it can also be done. I guess you'll have the rest of the day off then", and he grumpily shooed me away.

So much for the German military and maths.

message 23: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2034 comments Tristram wrote: "The military can, but the civilians would not be able to follow suit because they would always mix dates up. "

Confusion to the enemy!

We would leak our attack plans to you, but because you read our dates wrong you would be waiting on the wrong day, and all asleep on the real day. So we would march right in and steal all your books and you would have to surrender to get your books back.

Tristram Shandy Well, in that case we might simply write new books, mightn't we? However, you're right, E-man: I'd rather surrender to get back the old books written by Dickens et al. than read anything new ;-)

message 25: by Bionic Jean (last edited Feb 03, 2015 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) LOL Tristram! In another group I was complaining about how bored I was with a particular novel and how I went scampering back to Dickens. This seemed to cause some hilarity on the lines of, "Only you could go scampering back to Dickens from a long boring novel, Jean!" ;)

message 26: by Kim (last edited Feb 03, 2015 03:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Tristram wrote: "so what we, of course, did was put one row of cans along the length of the cargo area, another along the breadth and a last one along its height. The rest - I'm looking at you, Kim! - was a matter of multiplication."

That makes absolutely no sense. There is no way making one row each way will ever tell me how many cans will fill the truck so don't bother trying, and why you put one on top is beyond anything I'll ever comprehend. I could drive to Harrisburg, fly to Germany, fill the gas cans (which I've never done before) and put them all in the truck before I'd figure out that height-breadth-length thing.

I'm going to look up what general conscription is.

message 27: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Germany had conscription (Wehrpflicht) for male citizens between 1956 and 2011. On 22 November 2010, the German Minister of Defence proposed to the government to put conscription into abeyance on 1 July 2011. The constitution, however, retains provisions that would legalize the potential reintroduction of conscription.

The Basic Law for the Federal Republic of Germany and several special laws (e.g., Wehrpflichtgesetz) were regulating these duties and the exceptions. During the last year when conscription was active, men were obliged to serve six months either in the military, which they could refuse, and do alternative civilian service, or honorary service (like any volunteer) for at least six months in a civil protection organisation.

message 28: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2034 comments Kim wrote: "fill the gas cans"

Exactly why would fill the cans? It would make them much heavier, and therefore much harder to stack, and it wouldn't make a hill of beans of difference how much room a metal gas can takes up whether it's full or empty.

But I guess if someone gave you a diary and asked you to count the pages in it, you would fill each page with writing before you counted them. Same theory.

Peter well, well, well ...

It's good to see that on my two week holiday w/o internet (I refused to pay the outrageous fee) you all have solved the reading date crisis and gas can multiplication question. LOL

Soon David Copperfield will come to the rescue!

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Interesting! I must admit to feeling ambivalent - how many of these will be worth reading? Don't usually like "sequels" of classic works ... but then this is Dickens!

Barbs - it would be nice if you could add the one you suggest to the list please (click the tab top right and follow instructions) as I've book marked it! Thanks! :) (Or let me know if there's a problem, and I'll do it.)

message 31: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane Greensmith (janegs) | 33 comments My favorite Dickens' novel--I read it 2-3 times as a teen, once as an adult, but I haven't read it in >20 years.

So excited to reread this wonderful book.

Hilary (agapoyesoun) Fabulous, gas can story, Tristram! Having said that I would almost certainly have gone the Kim route! :s

message 33: by Jo (new)

Jo (asenath61) | 11 comments Yay! I started reading David Copperfield in mid-January.

message 34: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Everyman wrote: "Kim wrote: "fill the gas cans"

Exactly why would fill the cans? It would make them much heavier, and therefore much harder to stack, and it wouldn't make a hill of beans of difference how much ro..."

True, I didn't think of that. As for the diary, it wouldn't be a diary if the pages were blank so of course I'd fill them. I've been doing it for years, I tell people that when I'm dead my kids will have them published and make millions of dollars.

message 35: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Peter wrote: "well, well, well ...

It's good to see that on my two week holiday w/o internet (I refused to pay the outrageous fee) you all have solved the reading date crisis and gas can multiplication question..."

I was wondering where you were! I hope you went somewhere cold for your holiday. If you can figure the gas can thing out, good for you, I never will. He might as well posted it in German if it was meant for me, especially that one on top part. :-}

message 36: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2034 comments Kim wrote: "If you can figure the gas can thing out, good for you, I never will."

I have to admit that it's incomprehensible to me that you can't understand the gas can thing. I mean, it's not really math, it's more like the manipulatives that kindergarten students learn.

Any second grader doing math today would know exactly what Tristram meant and why it worked. You don't even need to be smarter than a sixth grader; just a first grader.

Peter Kim wrote: "Peter wrote: "well, well, well ...

It's good to see that on my two week holiday w/o internet (I refused to pay the outrageous fee) you all have solved the reading date crisis and gas can multiplic..."

Kim

My wife and I did our annual Caribbean cruise thing as we crave sun and warmth at least once in the winter.

We did, however, return home to Victoria through Toronto to visit the kids just in time for the worst storm and cold of the winter. As we looked out of our hotel window we realized why we moved to the west coast.

message 38: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2034 comments Peter wrote: "As we looked out of our hotel window we realized why we moved to the west coast. "

Which is why I moved from Pittsburgh to San Juan Island!

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Barbs - Sure, I've just done it. Hope things went well on your visit :)

message 40: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Everyman wrote: "Kim wrote: "If you can figure the gas can thing out, good for you, I never will."

I have to admit that it's incomprehensible to me that you can't understand the gas can thing. I mean, it's not re..."

It is incomprehensible to me that someone of your advanced age (old) is able to remember kindergarten, first grade, second grade and sixth grade. I wouldn't have thought they had kindergarten in one room school houses.

I thought you lived in Philadelphia before going off to your deserted island.

message 41: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2034 comments Kim wrote: "I thought you lived in Philadelphia before going off to your deserted island. "

Was brought up in Phila (actually, just outside). But my last job before coming west was in Pittsburgh. I could deal with snow. But not snow and the perpetual steep hills of Pittsburgh along with a decided lack of snowplows. There were nights I thought I would never get my spinning wheels to maneuver up the long hill to where I lived. Ugh.

message 42: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Tristram - what date will you open up the first discussion for chapters 1 - 3? Just so I can keep up and read just before I post!

The new school year is absolutely chaotic. I'm hoping I can keep up with the three chapters a week and get involved with the discussion in time.

Looking forward to DC. Another I have never read!

message 43: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Kate wrote: "Tristram - what date will you open up the first discussion for chapters 1 - 3? Just so I can keep up and read just before I post!

The new school year is absolutely chaotic. I'm hoping I can keep..."

He is away for the weekend - I will be posting the Sketches tomorrow if I ever get them finished :-}. As for DC if I'm reading his European dating correctly (don't worry I skipped down to the American) since he usually opens the threads on a Sunday the first thread should be on Sunday, February 15th. Or if you prefer 15th February, Sunday. :-}

Peter Kate wrote: "Tristram - what date will you open up the first discussion for chapters 1 - 3? Just so I can keep up and read just before I post!

The new school year is absolutely chaotic. I'm hoping I can keep..."

Would it be possible to teach DC to all your classes, at a pace of one chapter per week? With reviews, time for group activities and all that other stuff you should be able to limp through the entire semester/year with ease.

Just a thought ...

message 45: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Korner | 22 comments I notice that David Copperfield is NOT available on Kindle Unlimited...any suggestions on the best Kindle edition of DC???

what is the correct page count, I notice a wide variance between the editions available...

Tristram Shandy I bought the following edition of Dickens for Kindle:

http://www.amazon.de/Complete-Charles...

I don't know whether it is the best Kindle edition but all in all I am quite satisfied with most of the Delphi editions.

As a book, DC should at least have 800 pages, shouldn't it?

message 47: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2034 comments Lindsay wrote: "I notice that David Copperfield is NOT available on Kindle Unlimited...any suggestions on the best Kindle edition of DC???

what is the correct page count, I notice a wide variance between the edit..."

Gutenberg.org is almost always the best source for classic Kindle editions. Most of the free editions available from Amazon or elsewhere start with Gutenberg copies, but don't always incorporate the corrections that Gutemberg makes whenever they are identified in the text. And some source, like Archive, are simply awful -- they use OCR and seem to do nothing to correct the errors that OCR always puts into a text (every Gutenberg text that starts as OCR is proofread by real readers, usually more than one).

While people are at it, toss a $10.00 donation Gutenberg's way every now and then. They need and deserve it.

message 48: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Frankham (johnfrankham) I'm a fan of the Delphi Complete Works series: cheap and competent. They do the same for artists/paintings, too.

message 49: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Kim wrote: "Kate wrote: "Tristram - what date will you open up the first discussion for chapters 1 - 3? Just so I can keep up and read just before I post!

The new school year is absolutely chaotic. I'm hopi..."

Phew, I thought I was going to be late! Thanks Kim. :)

message 50: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Peter wrote: "Kate wrote: "Tristram - what date will you open up the first discussion for chapters 1 - 3? Just so I can keep up and read just before I post!

The new school year is absolutely chaotic. I'm hopi..."

Hi Peter

A good thought but unfortunately I'm not teaching English at the moment. I'm teaching Geography and Commerce. Lucky I like Geography and don't mind Commerce! Trying to get work in English, over here, is ridiculous. But that's another story.

I've just sat down after cleaning the house, so I'm going to try and read the first chapter, at least, today.

« previous 1 3