The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2015 > Spring Challenge 2015: Task Ideas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Feb 01, 2015 04:26AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17877 comments Mod
It's time to start thinking about fun tasks for the Spring Challenge. The bonus theme is "Mythologies of the World: Norse Mythology"

As in past challenges, some tasks may revolve around the seasonal theme of spring. Others may reflect the bonus theme. Other tasks may have nothing to do with either of these themes, they’re just fun ideas for unique reading challenges.

Feel free to post as many ideas as you can come up with. Don't worry about repeating what another player might have already suggested. The more ideas, the better!

The moderators will draw from these ideas as well as their own to create the 5, 10, and 15 point tasks. This thread will be open for ideas until 2/13. Spring tasks will begin to be posted on February 14. We look forward to seeing what you come up with!

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1794 comments The names of several days of the week come from Norse mythology (Tuesday=Tyr's day, Wednesday=Woden's day, Thursday=Thor's day). Read a book with a day in the title.

message 3: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2400 comments wasn't there some business with a golden apple? cover challenge for an apple (or piece of fruit to make it easier?)

Thor & his hammer: book about storms / weather?

Valhalla: book about death? celebrations?

or: the gods spent a lot of time doing magical stuff, from Arthur C Clarke's third law read a science or science fiction book?

message 4: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Catherine wrote: "wasn't there some business with a golden apple? cover challenge for an apple (or piece of fruit to make it easier?)

Thor & his hammer: book about storms / weather?

Valhalla: book about death? ce..."

Golden apple is Greek mythology -- Eris and the start of the Trojan War

I like the third law one especially. I might just be biased with science/science fiction though!

message 5: by Annapoorni (new)

Annapoorni Julia wrote: "The names of several days of the week come from Norse mythology (Tuesday=Tyr's day, Wednesday=Woden's day, Thursday=Thor's day). Read a book with a day in the title."

great idea!

message 6: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Bifröst (the rainbow bridge) connects Asgard to Midgard. Maybe an author whose initials can be found in "ROY G BIV"?

Or something about rainbows or bridges...

message 7: by Victoria (RedsCat) (last edited Feb 01, 2015 09:31AM) (new)

Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) I know it's obvious, but - a book originally published in Norwegian or Icelandic :)

Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) A book with "saga" in the title, subtitle, or series title.

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1388 comments How about the 9 worlds connected by Yggdrasil? Read a book based on each:

1. Menn (humans): Miðgarðr. Read a contemporary book (no science fiction or fantasy)
2. Aesir (gods): Ásgarðr. Non-Fiction about religion
3. Vanir (gods): Vanaheimr. Fiction book with Gods
4. Jötnar (giants): Jötunheimr/Útgarðr. Book with a Giant creature on the cover
5. Álfar (elves): Álfheimr (Ljósálfheimr). Book featuring elves/sidhe
6. Náir (corpses, the other world of the dead): Hel. A mystery book surrounding a death
7. Dvergar (dwarves): Niðavellir/Svartálfaheimr. Read an Epic Fantasy
8. Primordial element of Ice: Niflheimr. Book taking place in a Nordic/Scandinavian country
9. Primordial element of Fire: Múspellsheimr. Book with fire on the cover

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments @Deborah - that's all the five points subject right there :) Just need a 5.10 "pick your favorite realm".

message 11: by Catie (new)

Catie | 193 comments Valkyrie - books about women in war?

message 12: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 820 comments Catie wrote: "Valkyrie - books about women in war?"

That's a good one!

message 13: by KSMary (last edited Feb 01, 2015 10:44AM) (new)

KSMary | 820 comments for the cosmological tree, Yggdrasil in Norse mythology - read a book with a tree on the cover.

A Viking related book

Odin - wolf, raven or one eye on cover or with Odin, wolf, raven or eye in title or subtitle or series name

message 14: by Trish (last edited Feb 01, 2015 11:49AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2545 comments Morgan wrote: "Catherine wrote: "wasn't there some business with a golden apple? cover challenge for an apple (or piece of fruit to make it easier?)

Golden apple is Greek mythology -- Eris and the start of the Trojan War

There are also apples in Norse: Idun grew the apples which kept the gods young, and when they were stolen (by Loki, I think- he stole most stuff that got stolen), all the gods began to age. So then he somehow had to get them back...

Julia wrote: "The names of several days of the week come from Norse mythology (Tuesday=Tyr's day, Wednesday=Woden's day, Thursday=Thor's day). Read a book with a day in the title."

KSMary wrote: Odin - wolf, raven or one eye on cover or with Odin, wolf, raven or eye in t..."

I was thinking along the exact same lines as both of these :-)

Love the Nine Worlds idea, too.

I also had a couple of other thoughts

Brotherly Love: maybe read a book where one of the Author’s initials can be found in each of THOR and LOKI.

The Eddas: read a book written by an author whose initials (including middle name/initial) can be found in "Snorri Sturluson" (who compiled the Prose Edda). Or read either the Prose or Poetic Edda.

Wisdom: Back with the one eye thing. Odin gave up his eye for wisdom: maybe read something non-fiction or mythological along the lines of gaining wisdom. Or perhaps a book who's initial letters for the title are found in WISDOM

There was also the Mead of Poetry, which Odin brought back to Asgard. "Whoever "drinks becomes a skald or scholar" to recite any information and solve any question. So maybe a book of poetry or a mystery? Or a book with some kind of alcoholic beverage in the title or on the cover.

The Norse gods also seem popular characters in Urban Fantasy at the moment (Joanne Harris, Kevin Hearne, Neil Gaiman to name just a few), so perhaps a book where a Norse god or gods is a major character. Or has a Norse God's name in the title.

message 15: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 820 comments March - Women's History Month - read a book by a female author or features a famous woman in history

St. Patrick's Day - read a book set in Ireland, by an Irish author or with a green cover

April - Tax day - read a NF book about money, budgeting or finance

Earth day is also in April - Read a book that is borrowed from a friend or the library, NF book about environment

In honor of Cinco de Mayo- read a book set in Mexico, by a Latino author or with the colors of the Mexican flag red, green and white on the cover

message 16: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1794 comments KSMary wrote: "March - Women's History Month - read a book by a female author or features a famous woman in history..."
or has Women's Studies as genre/shelf
(I had also been thinking of this one)

Outside of the United States, May 1st is International Workers Day - read a non-fiction book about labor history or a fiction book where union organizing is part of the plot

message 17: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1657 comments April is Science Month - read a NF book with a Science genre

March 8 is international women's day - read a book that has won or been nominated for a prize for women authors (e.g. Orange Prize, Baileys Prize, Stella Prize)

Yggdrasil is the Norse cosmic tree that contains the universe - read a book with a tree on the cover

Hans Christian Anderson was a Danish writer who wrote and collected the most famous Northern European and Scandinavian fairy tales (e.g. Little Mermaid, Ugly Duckling, the Princess and the Pea). Maybe read a fairy tale retelling, or read a book with a word in the title that matches one of the title's of his fairy tales.

message 18: by Happy (new)

Happy (worldhasteeth) | 173 comments Is it really Spring? Read a book set in the Southern Hemisphere, where Autumn reigns.

Read an anthology of short stories. The fact that it's an anthology should be clear from the description or the main page genres.

message 19: by LouLouReads (last edited Feb 02, 2015 03:01AM) (new)

LouLouReads | 237 comments Just dropping by to second the excellent Valkyrie (Women in War) idea :-)

Oh, and CS Lewis and JRR Tolkein were both fascinated by Norse mythology, and used it to varying degrees in their work. Read a book written by one of the Inklings literary society, either a regular member or an infrequent visitor (listed on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inklings).

message 20: by Teri-K (last edited Feb 03, 2015 10:11AM) (new)

Teri-K | 954 comments If it's spring where you are the days are getting longer, if it's autumn they're getting shorter. Read a book with "day" or "night" in the title or the sun or moon on the cover.

ETA- Can I withdraw the suggestion I added here? I may use it in my task. :) Not the one listed above about the days, however. I'll leave it.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments ohh I like Loulou's idea ;)

message 22: by Teri-K (last edited Feb 02, 2015 07:45AM) (new)

Teri-K | 954 comments The ideas suggested so far are making me eager for the next challenge to begin! Here are a few more to throw in the mix.

March - International Mirth Month and Humorists Are Artists Month
Read a genre "humor" book.

April 7 - National Beer Day (The end of Prohibition)
Read a book set in one the top 10 beer drinking countries. (I found a list here: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/top-10-heavi...) Or some other beer-related book.

This challenge contains days for pathologist assistants, April 14; lawyers, April 8; and nurses, May 6. Read a book with the MC in one of these professions - Pathology, Law, Nursing. Or a NF book related to one of these professions.

May 2 - National Scurvy Awareness Day
Read a book that features pirates or other sailors. Or a book with orange on the cover.

May - Cinco de Mayo
Read a book with "5" or "five" in the title, or a book that is #5 in a series.

May 29 - End of the Middles Ages Day (seriously)
Read a book set in the Middle Ages, between 476 and 1500 AD. Or read a NF book about this time period.

message 23: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyd) | 256 comments Cindy C.

As a teacher, I look forward to spring break more now than I ever did as a student. My suggestion is read a book that is set in a place where you would like to go on a vacation, either fiction or nonfiction and it cannot be where you currently live.

message 24: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 655 comments Victoria (RedsCat) wrote: "I know it's obvious, but - a book originally published in Norwegian or Icelandic :)"

I like that idea; maybe make it Scandinavian authors, to give more choices.

message 25: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 655 comments Title/series title and/or author names have a name or concept from Scandinavian mythology. For example, Asgard, Thor, Freya/Freyr, Aesir, Viking, etc,
Or, the title or author's name contains the letters in one of the above.

message 26: by Happy (last edited Feb 02, 2015 09:22AM) (new)

Happy (worldhasteeth) | 173 comments Thoughts:

1. Something about Runes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runes

2. Cinco de Mayo: I'd like this to have something to do with Mexican or Mexican-American literature rather than the number 5 or colours.

3. The Inklings Society seems limiting, unless it's one of a choice of tasks.

4. Love the idea of Scandinavian authors in translation. I've read quite a few this SRC and can recommend. :)

5. Christianisation of Europe

6. Spring Independence Days - Countries that had their independence days in spring

message 27: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2545 comments Here in the British Isles, St George, St Patrick and St David all have their saints days during the spring challenge. I wonder if there might be some mileage there.

message 28: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Morgan wrote: Golden apple is Greek mythology -- Eris and the start of the Trojan War ."

I believe this is referring to the golden apples which kept the gods young in Norse mythology. Not the golden apple which Paris gave as a prize in the beauty contest between Athena, Hera and Aphrodite in Greek mythology.

message 29: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1745 comments I just want to share this link about Iceland building a new temple to the Norse gods:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/world...

It might give us some ideas for tasks!

message 30: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 954 comments The Scandinavians were great explorers and traveled a lot further than many of us realize, trading and settling new places, so maybe a task to read a book about an explorer or exploration?

message 31: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 471 comments Memorial Day

If you had a relative fight in a war, read a book about that war (ex: my grandfather fought in World War II, or I had an uncle fight in Vietnam). If you haven't had any relatives in combat, read a book about the US Civil War, which is attributed with starting the American holiday.

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3765 comments Spring Forward / Fall Back - Read a book with a time piece on the cover

Color me Spring - pastel colored cover

Easter - Hat on cover
Easter - Rabbit on cover
Easter - "religion" genre on main page

Spring break - beach on cover

message 33: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Nicola wrote: "Morgan wrote: Golden apple is Greek mythology -- Eris and the start of the Trojan War ."

I believe this is referring to the golden apples which kept the gods young in Norse mythology. Not the gol..."

Yeah they were asking about "something with a golden apple". I was just trying to pinpoint a story with a single golden apple as the central point which is Greek mythology. Not discounting apples from existing in Norse mythology. ;) Quick phone response = no run down of "here are all the possible apple(s) in mythology references". Sorry for the confusion-- was just trying to help them/start convo with regards to what they were recalling specifically. It just never progressed to suggesting various other apple mythos.

message 34: by Morgan (last edited Feb 03, 2015 03:35PM) (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments March Holidays

Multiple Personality Day -- conflicting genres like "horror" and "romance" or "thriller" and "fantasy" or "humor" and "non-fiction" (ok that last one is usually a given. :P)

Middle Name Pride Day -- Read a book by an author who uses their middle name/initial.

National Pi Day -- 3,1,4 in page numbers or publication date or some such thing. in a series! (Thanks Cait!) IT'S PI DAY.

Saint Patrick's Day -- Read a book with green on the cover DON'T GET PINCHED.

Extraterrestrial Abductions Day -- "Science Fiction" or Set in space/another planet.

Everything You Think is Wrong Day -- Pick a book that a goodreads friend didn't like, but you think you will like.

Everything You Do is Right Day -- Pick a book rated 5 stars by a goodreads friend.

National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day -- Choose to read something independently published.

Take a Walk in the Park Day -- Cover shows outside. Forest, park, etc. not just the outside of a house, but some sort of "green space" (or desert space if you prefer a more arid terrain).

message 35: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 954 comments Good idea for Pi Day. I looked at that and only thought of pictures of pie, or a cover with a circle. You used the numbers. Clever. :)

message 36: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments April Holidays

National Poetry Month -- Read a book of poems/genre "poetry".

Week 1 Library Week -- Choose any book from the library (or the library of a friend aka borrow a book to read).

Children's Book Day -- Childrens genre -- must meet all other SRC requirements.

Tell a Lie Day -- "LIE" found intact in title.

Plan Your Epitaph Day -- Titles that could also be used as epitaphs. Examples: "As You Wish" "Death by Sudoku" "Beyond the Pale" "Second Helpings"

Draw a Picture of a Bird Day -- Illustration of bird on cover.

National Siblings Day -- Book featuring siblings (clear from synopsis)

Blah, Blah, Blah Day -- A book over 400 pages long. (Alternatively a book with a title/subtitle of 5 words or more.)

Hairstyle Appreciation Day -- Hair featured on the cover.
Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls, #1) by Tera Lynn Childs Wicked Girls by Stephanie Hemphill etc.

Hug an Australian Day -- Set in Australia.

National Pretzel Day -- Read a book that ties you up in knots "thriller" or "mystery" genre.

message 37: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Teri-k wrote: "Good idea for Pi Day. I looked at that and only thought of pictures of pie, or a cover with a circle. You used the numbers. Clever. :)"

I also thought "MATHEMATICS" but then I made myself sad. lol. Math is not my most favorite of things. ;)

But everyone loves pie! Now I want pie.

message 38: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Morgan wrote: "National Pi Day -- 3,1,4 in page numbers or publication date or some such thing. IT'S PI DAY.

No at your page number tasks. *slaps your hand* Walk away.

3, 1, 4 as a series number or a book that has numbers on the cover. Something I don't have to open 395 individual books before I find ONE that works :P

Hug an Australian Day though. Thumbs up.

message 39: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Cait wrote: "Morgan wrote: "National Pi Day -- 3,1,4 in page numbers or publication date or some such thing. IT'S PI DAY.

No at your page number tasks. *slaps your hand* Walk away.

3, 1, 4 as a series number..."

Somehow I thought you'd like the Australian one. Somehow.

We could call it Hemsworth day, really.

And yeah I like series even better! I wanted it to be number SOMETHING. I'm editing lol.

message 40: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Morgan wrote: We could call it Hemsworth day, really.

Hug an Australian Hemsworth Day: Read a book written by an author named Liam or Chris (what third brother?). A book with a shirtless blue eyed man on the cover. A book about superheros. Read The Hunger Games and praise the light that is Gale Hawthorne. Read a book about something you'll never have. Read a book that makes you sob uncontrollably.

I could do this entire season based on this idea.

message 41: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments May Holidays

MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU -- Read something Star Wars related or with the genre "Science Fiction".

Foster Care Month -- Stories featuring characters/people who were adopted or taken in by people who were not their birth parents.

Older Americans Month -- Read a book written by someone over the age of 50. (We've done authors below 30...) (Doesn't even have to be limited to Americans. Older people are awesome.)

Mother Goose Day -- http://www.mothergoose.com/Rhymes/Azr... Match a word (4 letters or more) from the title of one of these nursery rhymes to a word in a title of a book. Include the nursery rhyme title you chose. Ex. "THE FARMER AND THE RAVEN" and then you read The Raven Boys

Beverage Day -- Some sort of drink on the cover.

National Tourist Appreciation Day/National Tourism Day -- A book set somewhere you'd like to travel that you haven't been to before. Fiction or non-fiction, but has to be a real place that you could actually travel to.

Fatigue Syndrome Day -- 'S,L,E,E,P' found in title OR author name
ex wiLdErnESs tiPs by Margaret Atwood

Wear Purple for Peace Day -- Purple on cover.

Victoria Day(Canada) -- Set in Canada or by Canadian author.

National Escargot Day -- 'S,N,A,I,L' found in title/subtitle.

message 42: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Cait wrote: "Morgan wrote: We could call it Hemsworth day, really.

Hug an Australian Hemsworth Day: Read a book written by an author named Liam or Chris (what third brother?). A book with a shirtless blue ey..."

LOL!!

message 43: by Abby (new)

Abby (gidget33) | 3 comments Not sure if someone talked about this yet, but I love Odin's ravens Huginn (thought) and Munnin (memory). Maybe books with birds on the covers? Or that feature ravens and crows - like Bellman and Black? Or a book about spies, since they are Odin's sources of information?

message 44: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 655 comments Morgan wrote: "Teri-k wrote: "Good idea for Pi Day. I looked at that and only thought of pictures of pie, or a cover with a circle. You used the numbers. Clever. :)"

I also thought "MATHEMATICS" but then I made ..."

Oh, but I LOVE math! :))

message 45: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 655 comments Morgan wrote: "May Holidays

MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU -- Read something Star Wars related or with the genre "Science Fiction".

Foster Care Month -- Stories featuring characters/people who were adopted or taken..."

Love these!

message 46: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 655 comments Morgan wrote: "April Holidays

National Poetry Month -- Read a book of poems/genre "poetry".

Week 1 Library Week -- Choose any book from the library (or the library of a friend aka borrow a book to read).

Chil..."

Love these too!

message 47: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 655 comments Morgan wrote: "March Holidays

Multiple Personality Day -- conflicting genres like "horror" and "romance" or "thriller" and "fantasy" or "humor" and "non-fiction" (ok that last one is usually a given. :P)

Midd..."

I need a LIKE button now!

message 48: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Cait wrote: "Morgan wrote: We could call it Hemsworth day, really.

Hug an Australian Hemsworth Day: Read a book written by an author named Liam or Chris (what third brother?). A book with a shirtless blue ey..."

Nice!!

message 49: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 471 comments Seafaring

The Vikings were known for their ships and sea travel, read a book that takes place on a boat.

Daylight Savings Time

Daylight Savings Time begins in March (or as my boss likes to call it, Daylight Snatching Time). Since we lose an hour of potential reading time, read a short book 100-200 pages.

message 50: by Happy (new)

Happy (worldhasteeth) | 173 comments Morgan wrote: "
Fatigue Syndrome Day -- 'S,L,E,E,P' found in title OR author name
ex wiLdErnESs tiPs by Margaret Atwood"

*winces* On behalf of those of us who do have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, please don't equate it with sleep. If more sleep made us feel better, we'd do that!

May 12 is CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia awareness day:

* Look for an author whose initials can be found in "The Spoon Theory"

* A picture of a spoon on the cover

* Read a non-fiction book about chronic illness (apparent in description or main page genre)

* Find the letters P,A,I,N in the title

« previous 1