The 2015 Book Genre Challenge discussion

The Song of Achilles
This topic is about The Song of Achilles
Group Reads > February Group Read - Mythological Retelling (The Song of Achilles)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Hey everyone! The poll has ended and we've chosen our group read! Remember it isn't required to participate in the group read, but the book looks absolutely amazing!! THE SONG OF ACHILLES! I can't wait to start it!!

What do you all think? :D

Brenda (brendalindesouza) YAY soooooo ready (or maybe not?) to read it!

Alethela Awesome! I was going to read this either way!

message 4: by May (new) - rated it 5 stars

May Awesome! Can't wait to start reading it!

message 5: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments May wrote: "Awesome! Can't wait to start reading it!"

WOOP WOOP! Me too!

Leslie wrote: "Awesome! I was going to read this either way!"

Glad to hear it!!

M wrote: "Wish I could read it :("

Aww, why can't you? You don't have a copy? :(

Kirsty (kirstymc) Yay I just brought this on my kindle :) can't wait to start reading it!

message 7: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Kirsty wrote: "Yay I just brought this on my kindle :) can't wait to start reading it!"

AWWW YISSS :)

message 8: by Mandajayne86 (new)

Mandajayne86 Whoop! Going to download this asap

message 9: by Mandajayne86 (new)

Mandajayne86 Whoop! Going to download this asap

message 10: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (foreverlostinlit) | 3 comments Awesome! I had never heard of this book, but it looks great! Getting a copy right now! :)

Jamie | 11 comments Excited to start something new!

message 12: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments I am so excited that everyone is excited ;) What do you all think about Greek myths? Anybody new to the genre out there?

Marissa (legendaryriss) | 17 comments I like mythology but I'm pretty new to this genre so I'm excited

Cheyenne (desert_windmill) | 2 comments This is kind of ridiculous but I bought it last night and finished it today and I'm kind of a mess. It was beautifully, beautifully done. When I've got a little more distance and composure I'll probably have more to say except "WONDERFUL" but I'm very excited to speak with you all about it!

message 15: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Cheyenne wrote: "This is kind of ridiculous but I bought it last night and finished it today and I'm kind of a mess. It was beautifully, beautifully done. When I've got a little more distance and composure I'll pro..."

AHHHH REALLY?? This absolutely made my day. <3333 I am THRILLED to hear you loved it!!!

message 16: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments M wrote: "Yeah, and books are expensive and my library doesn't have much stock *dramatic sigh* oh well, just more books for a Christmas list"

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that... :( I wish I could send you a copy. I hope you get all the books in the world for Christmas!

Melany (globalbymel) Yay! The library is transfering it over to my local branch right now :) I should have it by Friday and can't wait to get started on it!

message 18: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 4 comments Obviously my psychic sixth sense has been at work, because I got this out from the library a couple of weeks ago without even a thought that I could use it for the February genre!

I studied a bit of Classics in high school so I have a wee bit of a grasp on the Greek mythology behind the book. Excited to get into it :)

Linda (lightvvorm) | 3 comments Just got a copy and I will start reading tomorrow! I'm so excited because I have read a lot of books about Greek Myths and I absolutely adore them all!! Can't wait to talk to you guys

message 20: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments @Melany - YAY! I love the library transfer systems. It's like one big family <3

@Rachel - OOH YAY! I love when that happens! I need to visit my library soon and have a look around for the upcoming genres. Also, I'm excited what you have to say on this retelling!

@Linda - Woop woop! I love Greek myths too, but I rarely focused on Achilles and Patroclus, so I've been googling them nonstop! I love the retelling so far!! The characters pop to life!! Tell us what you think when you start!!

message 21: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (foreverlostinlit) | 3 comments Just started this and so far I am loving it! I absolutely love everything about the Greeks, so this is retelling is right up my alley.

Linda (lightvvorm) | 3 comments I've read about 25% so far and I am loving it!! I love the way these ancient characters seem so alive and real and not like some old myths.

message 23: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Linda wrote: "I've read about 25% so far and I am loving it!! I love the way these ancient characters seem so alive and real and not like some old myths."

I completely agree! They are so vibrant, and the book makes them so realistic. It's disturbing to realize that historical figures were often extraordinarily young, isn't it?

Emily (emilytalksbooks) | 9 comments I've already read it, but I'm very excited for you all!

I'm probably going to see if I can track down a copy of Gospel of Loki, but I'm looking forward to the end of the month when everyone can talk about Song of Achilles.

Jamie | 11 comments It's really cool how I can apply what's happening to these royals and gods to my own life and reflect on it, maybe even be a better person because of it. Really enjoying it so far, but only 5 chapters in!

message 26: by Mandajayne86 (new)

Mandajayne86 I haven't started it yet. I am making myself finish Gone Girl before I do anything else.

message 27: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (last edited Feb 04, 2015 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Mandajayne86 wrote: "I haven't started it yet. I am making myself finish Gone Girl before I do anything else."

That's fine, take your time! I love Gone Girl too :)

Jamie wrote: "It's really cool how I can apply what's happening to these royals and gods to my own life and reflect on it, maybe even be a better person because of it. Really enjoying it so far, but only 5 chapt..."

I love that you feel that way! The characters really are so much more relevant than we expect, aren't they? I'm about 40% done, and I am loving how the siege on Troy is beginning to come into focus along with their friendship! The events are also brought to life!

message 28: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Gomez | 3 comments looking forward to reading it! ❤

Frogli | 75 comments *shuffles in sheepishly* Hi!

I have to say, thank you for getting me off my butt and finally reading this - it was one of the first books I bought on my kindle and for some reason I still hadn't read it.

Don't know why I kept putting it off but I absolutely loved it. I did not expect it to be such an easy read, finished in a couple of days and now I just want more!

Maggie (thebookjockey) | 20 comments This is one of my favorite books of all time! I want to reread it, so I think I'm going to use this group read as an excuse. :) It will be so fun to have other people(besides my mom and grandma, who both adore it as well) to talk about it with.

Marissa (legendaryriss) | 17 comments I just downloaded this to my kindle and can't wait to really get into it

message 32: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (last edited Feb 07, 2015 09:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Frogli wrote: "*shuffles in sheepishly* Hi!

I have to say, thank you for getting me off my butt and finally reading this - it was one of the first books I bought on my kindle and for some reason I still hadn't r..."

I'm am so HAPPY to hear you say that!! I'm loving Patroclus and Achilles. Patroclus might not have the same strengths as Achilles, but he would do anything for him and it's beautiful *sighs* His voice is so easy to read too.

message 33: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Maggie wrote: "This is one of my favorite books of all time! I want to reread it, so I think I'm going to use this group read as an excuse. :) It will be so fun to have other people(besides my mom and grandma, wh..."

YAY! Come discuss whatever parts you want to!! ;) (It's so cute that your mom and grandma love it too haha <3)

message 34: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Marissa wrote: "I just downloaded this to my kindle and can't wait to really get into it"

Woop woop! Tell us what you think!!

Marissa (legendaryriss) | 17 comments It's so easy to read and I love how Patroclus and Achilles would do anything to protect each other. I'm about 30% through it and I love it already

Marissa (legendaryriss) | 17 comments It's so easy to read and I love how Patroclus and Achilles would do anything to protect each other. I'm about 30% through it and I love it already

Linda (lightvvorm) | 3 comments Omg this book was so great I really liked it and the ending was so bittersweet. Can't wait for everyone to read it it was soo sooo good

Rhia (rhiareads...) (rhiasaurus) I am loving this book so much, seriously. it's not necessarily something i would've picked up myself either, but i'm so glad i have now!

message 39: by Dallas (new)

Dallas (dallieb) | 14 comments Oh my gosh I started this yesterday and I'm only 80 pages in and I can already tell this book is going to ruin my liiiiiiiiiife. Miller is such a great writer.

message 40: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments @Marissa - YESS OH GOSH. They are too cute aren't they??

@Linda - Ohhh, I've seen this book drive people insane. I'm scared to get to the ending! I'll prolong it as much as possible haha.

@Rhia - I am so EXCITED to hear you say that!! I love it when people discover books they might never have had a chance to. Enjoy!!

@Dallas - I have seen so many lives ruined because of this book!! I'll probably join you soon hahaha. I really do like Miller's simple but impactful writing style!!

(AHHH I'm so happy so many of you are loving this book!!!)

Maggie (thebookjockey) | 20 comments Renuka wrote: "YAY! Come discuss whatever parts you want to!! ;) (It's so cute that your mom and grandma love it too haha <3)"

I'm about a 1/4 if the way through my reread! It's as good as I remember. And I am so exited to see all these people who like it so much! This was such a good pick!

Haha, I got them both to read it and they fell in love. My mom read it twice before I did! And she's gotten like three other people to read it, so we have a little TSoA chain going. :)

message 42: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Maggie wrote: "Renuka wrote: "YAY! Come discuss whatever parts you want to!! ;) (It's so cute that your mom and grandma love it too haha

I'm about a 1/4 if the way through my reread! It's as good as I remember..."

That is honestly adorable. There's just something about this book that makes people fall in love. I think it might just be the compelling characters reborn from myth!

message 43: by Dallas (new)

Dallas (dallieb) | 14 comments Hopefully it's okay for me to post this now... It has no spoilers. :'D
But I've just finished the book and boy was I correct, this book ruined. My. Life. There are tears on my cheeks and my heart aches terribly.
This book was so beautiful and as Linda had said, the ending was very bittersweet but still amazing.
I need a hug.

message 44: by May (new) - rated it 5 stars

May So I finished it last week and I'm still not over it. It was beautiful and sad and amazing. I'm with you, Dallas, I need a hug as well!

Maggie (thebookjockey) | 20 comments Renuka- I agree! I also hear a lot of people praise the writing in particular. It's such a beautiful style. I love all the detail and description.

Dallas and May- Sending hugs your way! I know how you feel!

message 46: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments @Dallas - Oh gosh, I am simultaneously happy and terrified!! Only the best books ruin lives haha. *HUG*

@May - So glad you loved it!! *HUG*

@Maggie - It really is very neat and clear. Sometimes retellings can get so jumbled up. Fancy writing and mythology can get confusing sometimes. (One of the big problems people have with Deathless is the confusion the writing style can have, especially with Russian words and myths mixed in. I know a few people who don't understand it at all). With The Song of Achilles, that is not a problem at all! Everything is concise but full of emotion!

Shivangi (stixer) | 25 comments Oh my god, I loved this story so much. The way it was written was so beautiful, and I was crying by the end of it. I thought I wouldn't be as effected by the ending, because I know the myth, and I knew how it was going to end, but I think that made it worse because I couldn't even enjoy the parts where they where happy because the ending was always gnawing in the back of my mind.

message 48: by Dallas (new)

Dallas (dallieb) | 14 comments Yay for hugs! Hugs for everyone! Especially the people who haven't finished the book yet... cause you're gonna need it. ;D

@Renuka: I agree with what you said to Maggie. Her writing is very clear and she knew exactly where she was going and what she wanted. Cause yeah most stories like this are jumbled like you said, cause the author is trying to fit as many details as possible to make it correct but then it ends up strange and doesn't flow right. But this book flowed so nicely. (Also Mary Renault is another author whose writing flows super nicely with these types of stories)

@Shivangi: Yeah I had that issue too and it made me so heartbroken. I kept hoping Miller would mess with us all and say, "Blast the myth I want these dudes to be happy!" And just make everything all sunshine and rainbows. But nope, all we got was pain and misery. :'D

Jamie | 11 comments Over half way there. I had a hard time getting into the beginning, but it has picked up nicely. I am really enjoying the changes that Achilles and Patroclus are going through...Anticipating where this going and can't wait to finish it!

message 50: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments @Shivangi - Awww I'm glad that you loved it, even if you couldn't properly enjoy all of it hahah. I know how it ends too, but I don't know so many of the details so I'm loving the story anyway haha. It's still a sort of surprise to me even if it isn't really ;)

@Dallas - HUGS everywhere!! <3 Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look up Renault! And yup, pain and misery sounds about right.

@Jamie - I'm around where you are right now! They are undergoing so many interesting changes, especially as they grow older and are pulled apart by events!

« previous 1