Books on the Nightstand discussion

What are you reading February 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Clark | 11 comments Listening to The Secret Wisdom of the Earth for now, with My Sunshine Away already pre-ordered. Not sure what else I'll be reading/listening to this month, but it'll be crammed full of good books as always.

message 3: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 67 comments I haven't posted to one of these threads in forever! I can't seem to finish anything except romance novels right now, so as a result I am reading too many books.

Mansfield Park on my phone.
Too Much Happiness on my Kindle.
Max Overacts, Vol 1: Hold on to Your Stubs on my iPad.
Roots: The Saga of an American Family, Zorro, and We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves in print - one in each room of the house where I read.

message 4: by Johanna (new)

Johanna (johannamaciver) I've just this morning finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Listening to the book Wild by Cherly Strayed and about to start a new kindle and paper back haven't decided which yet but that's my excited part of Sunday morning

message 5: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 61 comments Cory Day wrote: "I haven't posted to one of these threads in forever! I can't seem to finish anything except romance novels right now, so as a result I am reading too many books.

Mansfield Park on my phone..."

I just finished Mansfield Park, Cory; it seemed a little long in the middle, but I still liked it! I think I was able to appreciate Austen's writing more in this book than the ones I read in high school.

Right now I'm reading Dear Life: Stories by Alice Munro and Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant? by Roz Chast. I may start The Lost and Forgotten Languages of Shanghai: A Novel on audio soon as well.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy H (sandyquiltz) | 0 comments I'm reading Half-Resurrection Blues on my Kindle, The Dance of the Dissident Daughterin paperback, and listening to Wicked Autumn as an audiobook. I'm also poaching one BOTNS resolution and reading a collection of short stories between novels, one story at a time. I chose Almost Famous Women: Stories for that one.

Speaking of Mansfield Park...

I'm nearly done with Wicked Autumn and my next audio will be Mansfield Park read by a cast (Audible) including Benedict Cumberbatch and David Tennant. I'm a Jane Austen fan from way back and have read Mansfield Park a few times--I'm looking forward to checking out this audio interpretation of it!

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I started Sweetland yesterday and have Rainey Royal and Fram waiting in the wings. I'll be starting Descent on audio either tomorrow, or Tuesday, if we get snowed in overnight.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate | 269 comments I just finished As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust (Flavia de Luce, #7) by Alan Bradley , As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust which I completely enjoyed and started A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman , A Man Called Ove.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 11 comments I'm just finishing up Fram and about to start The Girl on the Train. Is anything being published in February that people are planning to pick up and read right away?

message 10: by Liz (last edited Feb 01, 2015 10:12AM) (new)

Liz (hissheep) I'm listerning to The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant read by Linda Lavin (who does a great Jewish Boston accent!). Wasn't quite certain about continuing at first, but glad I did ... about half-way through.

message 11: by Marion (new)

Marion Hill (kammbia1) I just finished reading and reviewing The Book of Strange New Things by Faber

http://marion-hill.com/book-review-59...

A thought-provoking novel that should be selected for a lot of book clubs this year.

Marion

message 12: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 67 comments Rachel wrote: "I just finished Mansfield Park, Cory; it seemed a little long in the middle, but I still liked it! I think I was able to appreciate Austen's writing more in this book than the ones I read in high school."

I'm enjoying it but Fanny is so much more passive than the most familiar of Austen's heroines that it's not engaging me in exactly the same way. I think I'm over the hump though - I moved from 50%-65% pretty quickly :)

message 13: by Amy (last edited Feb 01, 2015 01:43PM) (new)

Amy (amybf) | 144 comments I have a reading dilemma -- hoping some of you can help... I just started Hild by Nicola Griffith. I think I'm about 10 pages in. Just found out that the author intends it to be the first of a trilogy. However, she hasn't even really started on the next two books yet. And it took her quite a while to write the first one. I'm looking forward to reading this, but I don't really want to start a hefty book that will leave me hanging at the end -- and having to wait a long time for the next one. (I'm looking at you and the Dark Tower series, Stephen King...) Has anyone read "Hild"?

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 261 comments Sue wrote: "I started Sweetland yesterday and have Rainey Royal and Fram waiting in the wings. I'll be starting Descent on audio either tomorrow,..."

Finished reading Descent and really loved it. Started one day after work and finished it the next day, non stop reading.

message 15: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments Finished listening to Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1) by Ann Leckie Saturday night. It was a good follow up from the first book and a good setup for the final book in the series.

message 16: by Janet (new)

Janet Hawn | 7 comments I am reading New York by Rutherfurd on paper and am listening to Prairie Nocturne by Ivan Doig on my iPad. I just finished reading All the Light We Cannot See a few days ago on my iPad. That is an amazing book!

message 17: by Melissa W (new)

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenniferborhi) | 2 comments I recently finished Station Eleven. I'm currently reading Just Alice as it's been on my bookshelf for a while now & the film is soon to be released. Also for February so far: The History of Love and Girl on the Train.

message 19: by Adore (new)

Adore Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng is this really a debut novel!? Celeste Ng is crazy gifted. The characterization alone merits five stars from me.

I plan to begin this short story collection tomorrow: Bobcat and Other Stories by Rebecca Lee

message 20: by Mamie (new)

Mamie | 6 comments At the moment I am reading "My Enemy's Cradle" by Sara Young and I am planning to start "The Hundred Foot Journey" soon!

Quick question: Does anyone know how to get rid of the new "recommended" and "trending" feature from the GR newsfeed? It's driving me c-r-a-z-y.

message 21: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments Jennifer wrote: "I recently finished Station Eleven. I'm currently reading Just Alice as it's been on my bookshelf for a while now & the film is soon to be released. Also for February so far: The History of Love an..."

How did you like Station Eleven?

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenniferborhi) | 2 comments I really enjoyed it, more so the second half until it ended as it wasn't immediately gripping for me. I did love the way everything unfolded & tied together. In the last few months it might be my favourite read.

Melissa W wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I recently finished Station Eleven. I'm currently reading Just Alice as it's been on my bookshelf for a while now & the film is soon to be released. Also for February so far: The H..."

message 23: by Melissa W (last edited Feb 02, 2015 12:37AM) (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments Jennifer wrote: "I really enjoyed it, more so the second half until it ended as it wasn't immediately gripping for me. I did love the way everything unfolded & tied together. In the last few months it might be my f..."

I agree; thought that the second half of the book was better than the first half for me as well. The way she brought the story full circle was really amazing. Now I want to go and read some of her backlist, but I have too much to read at the moment!

message 24: by Lianne (new)

Lianne Burwell (lianneb) | 13 comments I just finished an audiobook (The Cruelest Month) and I am currently reading a Rogue Angel pulpy-adventure novel, and Embassytown by China Mieville.

message 25: by Amie (new)

Amie | 14 comments Just finished The Girl on the Train. Best read this year so far.
I am starting brown girl dreaming . I'm really looking forward to it I've never read a memoir written in verse.

message 26: by Amie (new)

Amie | 14 comments Just finished The Girl on the Train. Best read this year so far.
I am starting brown girl dreaming . I'm really looking forward to it I've never read a memoir written in verse.

message 27: by Gerald (last edited Feb 02, 2015 09:09AM) (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments It must have been a Super Bowl senior moment but I finished Ancillary Swordon Saturday night.

message 28: by Susanne (new)

Susanne (heysus74) | 97 comments I finished The Girl on the Train last night ... very good! My husband tried starting a conversation when I was at the last 40 pages. Then he wanted to know why I wasn't paying attention to him. Then he wanted to know why I was getting frustrated at him. LET ME FINISH THE BOOK ~ GAHHH!

I'm half-way through Fairest, and I'm hoping to finish in the next couple days.

message 29: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Fun!

Lock In by John Scalzi

Informative.

Thirteen Days in September Carter, Begin, and Sadat at Camp David by Lawrence Wright

An instant all-time favorite. One of the best!

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

message 30: by Jill (new)

Jill I just finished The Bear by Claire Cameron and was riveted. Next up I have The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins on my IPod. I have Drink Down The Moon (book 2 of the Jack duology) by Charles de Lint on my Kindle. I am also in the midst of listening to The Kings of London by William Shaw .

message 31: by Jumana A (new)

Jumana A I'm currently reading How to Build a Girl

And listening to in the car Shopaholic to the Stars

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (thenovelbutterfly) | 101 comments I'm reading We Are Not Ourselves. It is crawling for me; I hope it gets better. I have been very, very busy at work so my reading time has been compromised so I really need this book to get better.

message 33: by Zuzu (new)

Zuzu | 8 comments Adore wrote: "Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng is this really a debut novel!? Celeste Ng is crazy gifted. The characterization alone merits five stars from me.

I plan to begin this short story ..."

I second your post. I was amazed by this book. I read it after finishing Station Eleven, which disappointed me (I think it was all they hype). "Everything I Never Told You" is one of the best books I have read in a long time.

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (thenovelbutterfly) | 101 comments I'm jumping on the Everything I Never Told You bandwagon. It was one of the best books I read in 2014! Enjoy!

message 35: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments It's slow and quiet, but I found it very powerful and gripping. I hope you stick with it and enjoy. I thought it was a fine piece of writing.

Melissa wrote: "I'm reading We Are Not Ourselves. It is crawling for me; I hope it gets better. I have been very, very busy at work so my reading time has been compromised so I really need this book to get better."

message 36: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Listening to World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War in the car but my mind is wandering. I did recognize Alan Alda's voice but none of the others. Should finish today. In print, reading Silence Once Begun for the TOB. The opening reminds me of Murakami's Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. I'm trying to read as many of the TOB shortlist as I can before the tournament.

message 37: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments Listening to The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins .

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (thenovelbutterfly) | 101 comments Sue wrote: "It's slow and quiet, but I found it very powerful and gripping. I hope you stick with it and enjoy. I thought it was a fine piece of writing.

Melissa wrote: "I'm reading We Are Not Ourselves. It ..."

I will stick with it...it is my February book club book! I usually like slow, unfolding stories...definitely won't give up.

message 39: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 11 comments Agree completely with Sue about We Are Not Ourselves!

Just finished The Girl on the Train and moving on to My Brilliant Friend

message 40: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) | 510 comments I also agree about We Are Not Ourselves, it is a slow moving story that builds & builds....very powerful but it takes its time

message 41: by Ellen (new)

Ellen B I'm listening to Euphoria by Lily King on audio, and today started reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Like Ann's daughter, I'm loving it.

message 42: by Linda (last edited Feb 04, 2015 02:51PM) (new)

message 43: by Janet (last edited Feb 04, 2015 07:00PM) (new)

message 44: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments Yesterday I decided to download the audio version of The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America. I am doing this to get through it. This is the first book that I started to read and decided to download. I find that listening is easier then reading which is sad for me. Why? Reading is the only way to build the world in your mind that the author intended. Listening can become a show that kills the story. I am also listening to The Girl on the Trainwhich happens to have three narrators. To me having more then one makes it a show. Its a great story but its like having a story told to you not a story that you are reading and you create in your mind. Does this make sense? Does anyone have the same feelings about audio?

message 45: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments I guess what I want to say is one narrator is OK but more then one, not so good. In The Girl on the Trainthe main character narrator didn't really need help. She could have pulled it off. Adding the other two voices I feel is not necessary. Just my thinking on the matter.

message 46: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments No, I don't feel that way at all. I love audio. Since I've been commuting 2 hours a day, it's become my preferred method of reading even though it's a little slower. For me, a great voice or dialect enhances the experience. It's still the author's writing, word for word, and I build the story in my mind the same.

message 47: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments Yes! This describes precisely how I am feeling listening to Descent, with two narrators reading four POV narratives with a non-linear timeline. The distribution of the POV narratives is not written in a simple pattern either, and between the different 'Parts's of the book, the structure changes again. I feel like I am listening to a story being acted out, not 'reading' the 'literary' thriller this book is purported to be.

Unlike you, I think in this case I might enjoy it more if I were reading it. The two narrators, each with their multiple characters, are distracting me from the writing and I'm just trying to hang on and keep track of what's going on.

Okay, maybe this is not exactly what you were talking about, but this book is a very good example of the differences between print and audio.

This book is definitely a page-turner, but I think it's also reinforcing my preference for single narrators.

Gerald wrote: "Yesterday I decided to download the audio version of The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America. I am doing this to get through it. This i..."

message 48: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I agree with this, too. When the narration is good, I think it can make a good book even better. Unfortunately, a bad narrator can do the opposite. I also commute 2+ hours per day and would be miserable without my audiobooks. I am thankful there are enough great narrators reading excellent books to keep me happy for a long time!

Janet wrote: "No, I don't feel that way at all. I love audio. Since I've been commuting 2 hours a day, it's become my preferred method of reading even though it's a little slower. For me, a great voice or dial..."

message 49: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments I like audio books but I just like the one narrator type. I guess what I was saying about down loading DITWC is I've listened to too many and I lost my ability to read esp from the Kindle. I do like large screen formats like a tablet or my laptop. Going home tonight and picking a real book, that might help.

message 50: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments I like audio books but I just like the one narrator type. I guess what I was saying about down loading DITWC is I've listened to too many and I lost my ability to read esp from the Kindle. I do like large screen formats like a tablet or my laptop. Going home tonight and picking a real book, that might help.

« previous 1