Historical Fictionistas discussion

Ancient History (Old Threads) > Spell It Out Challenge - February 2015: Rules and Questions

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (last edited Jan 31, 2015 09:02PM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1287 comments Mod
This month, we are doing a straight up Spell It Out Challenge.

The rules are simple. Pick a historical figure and then read books to "spell out" their name. Since this is a historical fiction group, we will use the historical fiction rule of 50 years so this person needs to be famous pre-1965. For the US folks, in honor of President's Day you can pick a president.

To spell the name, the letter must correspond to the first or last name of the author (not middle initial) or be one of the key words of a title. The key word of a title means no articles, prepositions or conjunctions (e.g. a, the, and, but, on, at,....).

Each book can only count once.

The books should be at least 200 pages. Re-reads and audio books are fine.

Books should be started and completed in the month of February -- however, there is no validation or scoring for this.

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8051 comments Two questions? Do the books have to be historical fiction and can we have more than one book for a single letter?

message 3: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

No -- the books can be any genre.

I'm not sure I understand the 2nd question? The idea is that you try to find a book for every letter.....there is no real need to do 2 books for a letter since this is a non-scoring challenge.

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8051 comments Some letters are easier than others to find books. I guess we have to find s book for each letter.

message 5: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

Yes, it says that each book can only count once!
This is why you probably shouldn't choose Queen Zenobia (a queen in Syria from 3rd century) :-D

message 6: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments You mean q and Z are hard to find :)

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8051 comments I imagined we could fill in books next to the letters. I use an iPhone and I am not able to fill books where I've set out my letters? Am I missing something?

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8051 comments I imagined we could fill in books next to the letters. I use an iPhone and I am not able to fill books where I've set out my letters? Am I missing something?

message 9: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

I'm not sure I understand your question....if you look on the tracking thread, you should be able to see it.

I think that sometimes on the iPhone, when you add a book link, it automatically puts it at the bottom of the box. I think you can cut and paste it to the letter you intend.

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8051 comments I just want to be able to write next to the letter and I can't

message 11: by Louise (new)

Louise | 4496 comments Margaret, to list your book next to the letter you have to edit your comment. I'm not sure you can do that on the goodreads mobile site: I suspect you have to go to the full goodreads site for that.