Purple Elephants of Epic Proportions discussion

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
This topic is about The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Book Discussions > The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Feb 2015)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Jan 31, 2015 06:05PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 190 comments Mod
Since February's mere hours away...

Here's the thread for February's book, The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. :)

I won't be able to join in on reading/discussions until the 7th at least... but y'all feel free and enjoy! ^_^

...Can't wait to read my first Neil Gaiman. :D I've heard great things of his books! :) This particular book of his also sounds like something I wouldn't normally read, which is interesting in itself... Sometimes it's fun to step out of comfort zones and try new things. ;)

I just got The Ocean at the End of the Lane from the library! Yay! :D So now I can start reading, finally. ^_^

message 3: by Deborah (last edited Feb 09, 2015 07:07PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

So I've read the prologue and the first three chapters... I'm enjoying it so far! It's one of those just-a-little-disturbing but also whimsical things... I really like Gaiman's style. I feel like it's rather like Diana Wynne Jones with a pinch of dark and without the hilariousness. So far, I'm really glad we picked this book!

My thoughts on it so far (don't read if you haven't read the first 3 chapters!)
(view spoiler)

I dunno. That's what I think so far. :) Looking forward to continuing...

Has anyone else started yet? :D

Abigail | 28 comments I'm gonna try and find this book at my library tomorrow.

Yay Abi! :D (Libraries are the best. ^_^)

Abigail | 28 comments I haven't been able to find it yet. :(

Odile | 124 comments @Abi: You can't find it in library? :( Do you know if they have a copy at all or is it just borrowed at the moment?

I started reading today and so far I like it a lot! I've read the prologue and first three chapters now.

@Celti: (view spoiler)

I'm looking forward to reading more. :)

Abigail | 28 comments I haven't been able to get a library card yet, so I can't borrow a copy from another library. :(

message 9: by Deborah (last edited Feb 26, 2015 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

So I finished it! I gave it a brief, spoiler-free review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... It was a solid 4-stars for much of it, but it was a little bittersweet which almost dropped it to 2... Overall I settled for 3-stars. Scary and kind of sad are not my "things", but I loved a lot of it! :) I'm sooo glad we read it -- it was so intriguing and different! I really really want to read more Gaiman soon now. :D The writing was awesome and it was so dark and elusive and eerie... :) I will be writing up some more detailed spoilery thoughts soonish! :)

@Odile: Yes, that was sad! :( But I'm glad you're mostly liking it so far! :)

@Abi: Awww. :(