Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Those Left Behind (Serenity #1)
This topic is about Those Left Behind
Archive - Series Reads > Serenity: Those Left Behind (Serenity #1) - February 2015

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Serenity: Those Left Behind is the first book in the Serenity Series. The group is reading the series in preparation for reading the Graphic Novels & Comics Winner Serenity: Leaves on the Wind later in the year.

Serenity Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1) by Joss Whedon

Here's how it is -- in a universe filled with hearts and minds as cold and dark as the reaches of space, one small Firefly-class starship named Serenity takes its ragtag crew of mercenaries, outlaws, and fugitives in search of a job, any job, that'll earn them enough cash to afford that most elusive commodity -- peace.

Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, unveils a previously unknown chapter in the lives of his favourite band of space brigands in the prequel to the Serenity feature film -- the blockbuster followup to Whedon's cult-hit TV show Firefly.

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I checked this out from the library in January. Never got to it. I just can't convince myself to care about this series... and so I returned it. I've read half the other nominees.

I think I just resent it winning so much I won't give it a chance. LOL.

message 3: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
I'm guessing you're not a fan of Firefly ally?

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I've never watched it. I know about the hype (after it was cancelled). But I've been disappointed by unresolved cliff hangers from watching cancelled series in the past so I've never watched.

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I have to admit I don't understand the hype. I like the series .. it's nice. But, it's really not all that special imo .. just nice. I'll read the comic as our library has it .. it's thin and we'll see. I highly doubt it deserves an award and I suspect it only won based on Firefly fans who don't read graphic novels. Same as last year.

message 6: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Well I love Firefly so I'm looking forward to reading this series.

However ally, you will be pleased to hear that I also planning on reading Saga :)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments Saga is wonderful .. you will love it. Especially if you like Firefly :)

message 8: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb Bartram | 115 comments Well, I will admit up front that I'm a Firefly fan. If you've never watched it in fear of its early cancellation and unresolved plots, be assured that the movie Serenity gives satisfactory conclusions to the main plot lines of the series, while still leaving the series open to continuance in comic book form (similar to what Whedon has done with Buffy, Angel, and Dollhouse).

So, on to this set of comics. I read them Saturday (it doesn't take more than 20 minutes or so) and if you are already familiar with the characters from the show/movie, you will have no trouble with it. I found it a nice story, basically like an episode from the TV series, that fills in some of what occurred between the time the TV series ended and the movie picked up.

I can't say how someone without prior knowledge of the show would find this. I can't see that there is enough back story to really establish the characters and previous story. However, I think this is true of most comic books where you pick up in the middle.

I thought the artwork was great, really capturing the characters as depicted in the TV/movie, and the dialogue was true to form. I will say again, though, I don't know how someone brand new will find it. It took me a couple episodes of the TV show to get used to the way the dialogue occurred - it's a unique blend of old west and Chinese speak. I'll be interested to see other comments on here.

So, as a fan, I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to more! (I've actually already read Leaves on the Wind, which picks up the plot following the end of the movie).

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Lynn wrote: "Well I love Firefly so I'm looking forward to reading this series.

However ally, you will be pleased to hear that I also planning on reading Saga :)"

Haha! YES!!! I'm planning on re-reading it now that I just picked up Volume 4. I might hold off and see if it wins for the buddy read.

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Deb, I have read two parts so far (Those left behind and The Better Days and other stories), and I was somehow confused at the beginning. Those left behind seems to be more of a continuation that the first part, and because I haven't seen the series or/and the film, I know next to nothing about the characters, their origins, place in the plot, and so on.

Still, I found the two books gripping and with great art work, so I got really interested in watching both screen adaptations (or predescesors, I don't know what was first - the comic books or the film/series).

And, of course, I love that Captain Reynolds resembles Nathan Fillion so much :D!

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I have red Those left behind last night, but found it rather uninspired.
I didn't like the art work a lot .. especially since the characters try to resemble to the actual actors, but many of them fail completely. And, the dialogues were just terrible imo (though the original series isn't all that great in that sense either). The plot seemed to be somewhat of a repeat or mixture of the series ..

To me it's neither a good adaptation of the series nor a gripping graphic novel on its own. I will read the others and hopefully, they will be more satisfying, but I'm not a fan.

message 12: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Janina wrote: "I didn't like the art work a lot"

Bizarrely I really liked the art work which is where most of my star ratings went to. Unfortunately I found the story lacking and the feel of the whole thing a bit disjointed.

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I'm not much of a comic/graphic novel reader (still unclear about the distinction), but what I do like about such illustrated stories are breathtaking images that I can't take my eye off .. such as the ones found in Saga. "Those left behind" just can't compete with that at all.
Plus, as a Firefly-liker, I am really not much of a fan of Mal/Nathan Fillon. I love Wash/Alan Tudyk or Summer Glau .. or maybe even Sean Maher (though he pales compared to them). And the cartoon does manage to depict Nathan Fillon somewhat (still fails to capture his expressions .. it's just looking like him), Wash or River or Simon look nothing like the series (apart from the hair color). And all of them are mostly still whereas all of the actors are wonderful (the one thing I love about Firefly). (Huge fan of Dollhouse btw .. hence my love for Alan & Summer).

And yes, the story didn't feel right.

But, it's a nice little read .. I hope the next one has a better story to tell.

message 14: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - added it

Savanes | 2044 comments Mod
I want to read this one. Lynn did you read it on your kindle or did you get a physical copy? I'm really worried of buying the kindle version and being unable to enjoy it.

message 15: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Yes I read it on the kindle, what aspects are you worried about?

message 16: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - added it

Savanes | 2044 comments Mod
The screen is very small so it might be difficult to read it + black & White. Do you have a kindle fire or regular kindle?

message 17: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Feb 12, 2015 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Kindle Fire; so all in colour and while words were a little small I had no problem reading it

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments I had never watched Firefly or Serenity, but they've been in my Netflix queue forever. I used this series challenge as a reason to watch and I loved them. Not surprising since I am a Joss Whedon fan.

I liked Serenity: Those Left Behind. I thought it was like an additional episode to the series. I also liked the artwork. They did better at capturing some of the actors than others, but I liked it a lot.

I am now trying to figure out how to get my hands on the next volume, since neither library has it. Grr.

message 19: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb Bartram | 115 comments Valerie wrote: "I had never watched Firefly or Serenity, but they've been in my Netflix queue forever. I used this series challenge as a reason to watch and I loved them. Not surprising since I am a Joss Whedon ..."

I agree with everything you said, and look forward to the other books. fortunately my husband has picked up a number of the comics as they came out.