The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1) The Maze Runner discussion

The Maze Runner Series: YES OR NO?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elaine McHale I've just added the first installment of the series to my 'want to read' list as the books were recommended to me by a friend.Are they worth reading please let me know??

Emma YES!!!

I absolutely LOVE this series. Not only is it my favorite dystopian YA series, The Maze Runner is my favorite book. Ever.

There are a lot of characters, and they're all different with their own personalities. There's a lot of mystery and suspense. I couldn't put it down and read the book in about 4 days (which is quick for me) and I've read it about 4 times since, and seen the movie about 20 times.

If you haven't seen the movie, I recommend waiting until you finish the entire series before you do.

But really, you should read it! 5/5 :)

Dana The first two books are fast reads, and fun if you can get past the imaginative ways they find to kill people.
The last book is rather uneven in plot and character development, and the series ending is just mediocre.
Yeah, read them.

Izzy I read the first two books, planning on reading the third, and yes, I think you should definitely read the series. It was good for me because it had short chapters, and every chapter you finish makes a tiny cliffhanger so you want to read more. The first two were fantastic, can't wait to read the third.

Piper Overall: Yes.
I give the series 7.5/10. I enjoyed all of books. I sped through them, not noticing much details so I can't give a very critical review. All that I can say is, theses books gave me the reading itch, because I really wanted to know the ending and what happened to characters. I couldn't stop reading it! The only things that I wasn't a huge fan about is how it ended, and the third book was lacking development of other characters.

message 6: by Shax786 (new) - added it

Shax786 i havent yet read them but im not sure whether i would like them can anyone help me!!!

Chandley Rose Definitely read them.
They were slow at times, extremely fast at others, but all in all they're worth it. I can still remember the characters, whom I loved, and I read them relatively quickly.

Sic Transit Gloria Maze Runner isn't bad. It all goes downhill from there.

Scorch Trials...eh. Okay.

Death Cure: Sickening. I never want to read any books by James Dashner again.

So there you have it.

Bryce I thought I would love the series, but I found the book frustrating and do not recommend it to an adult reader who enjoys YA. I DO recommend the movie and I am looking forward to the sequel coming out later this year.

I feel like the book is better suited for the "tween" or middle school aged reader. I personally hate when an author spoon feeds the audience. An example is when Thomas would have thoughts that he couldn't explain but "just knew." This is NOT rational! Characters don't build organically when they "just feel like they should." Yes this is a character with memory loss, but having an author use "he just knew" is an OBVIOUS foreshadow and leaves you unsurprised to a good majority of the plot. This is something that continuously happened and made me want to damage the book. Lucky for the book it belonged to the public library and I cannot afford to pay for literacy outrage.

I really do hope that I am wrong and the series is better than this. I'm just a silly 20 something man reading YA books, but I refuse to read tween books. Sorry maze runner.

Piper Shax786 wrote: "i havent yet read them but im not sure whether i would like them can anyone help me!!!"

There is many mixed reviews some people love it, some people hate it. I really enjoyed the books, I recommend that you read the first book and see if you like it or not. If you liked it and want to read more continue the series. If not you don't have to finish it.

Read1 Everyday The book(s) is/are pretty well written, but the story is getting old...Hunger Games...Insurgent.... Though Dashner is a little more graphic with his death scenes. I just felt like I have read the story before..

message 12: by Shax786 (new) - added it

Shax786 Piper wrote: "Shax786 wrote: "i havent yet read them but im not sure whether i would like them can anyone help me!!!"

There is many mixed reviews some people love it, some people hate it. I really enjoyed the b..."

thanks u

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2015 07:58PM) (new)

I liked the first book, but it definitely lost my attention as it progressed. You can tell that the author had a specific theme he was trying to carry throughout, but the way he went about this is very hit-or-miss. The first book is a definite indicator as to whether or not the rest of the series will be of interest, so I would recommend that you begin there. Use the impression that persists to decide if you should continue. You will likely either be refreshed by the style, or find that it seems altogether too familiar.

Either way, good luck. It's as intense as the Avengers battling in Ikea.

message 14: by Chelsea (last edited Feb 03, 2015 06:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chelsea The first book is quite enjoyable. The 2nd and 3rd books are progressively more annoying. I really enjoyed the prequel, The Kill Order, though. I actually liked it better than any of the series books. I would still recommend reading them though. They're quick and easy reads and I don't regret the time I spent reading them, even if I kind of just wanted all of the characters to die in book 3.

Bridget I found these books kind if immature (I read them at age 21+). The stories are pretty good in general, but the writing is kind of terrible. Not recommended for very mature readers.

Sarah I loved the first book. It was what I was looking for. The second book was okay, not as good as the first but still enjoyable. Then came the third book. I'm not sure what happened but it was not what I was expecting, hoping, or even wanting. I did not like it. Still, it was a good series minus the last book.

Docplasma You need this book NOW. Read this book and its series. I am enjoying it so far.

Jessica This is my all time favourite series! Its well worth the read and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Although I must admit the Death Cure (last book) ending wasnt as good as it could have been.

But definitely read this series!!!!

message 19: by Kelly (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly Im sorry but I hated every second of this book. It took all I had to get through it. There was no life in it at all. I got mine for $1.99 on Amazon. Sure glad I didn't pay full price

Malour Yes. It's a page turner. The last sentence of almost every chapter of this book is a cliff hanger.

Nicole I did like the book, which I read very recently. I hear that the series goes down hill, but I still really liked it, and I will continue on.

I actually did a video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFTc8...

Andrew They are the BEST books ever!!!!!!! 5/5 stars.

The Book Queen I've only read the Maze Runner, but I found it mediocre. I will read the Scorch Trials though, to see if it gets better.

Kelly Brigid ♡ YES! My favorite YA trilogy ever!

message 25: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma ♪~Kelly~♪ wrote: "YES! My favorite YA trilogy ever!"

Second thaaaaat <3

message 26: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Elliott Definitely worth a read!

Alexia Yes! Its really action packed.

Claire Jarrell YESSS i loved the first two the third was not as great but you should definately read