Horror Aficionados discussion

Ghost Story
This topic is about Ghost Story
Group Reads > Februrary 2015 Group Read: Ghost Story by Peter Straub

Comments Showing 1-50 of 150 (150 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ms. Nikki (new) - added it

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Ghost Story is the first winner which brought in twice as many votes and our second read.

For you new folks, be courteous and use spoiler tags and be sure to add page/chapter number or percentage so we know where you're at.

I hope you all have a great time discussing this one~

message 2: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments Well, this is bizarre. It's not available on Kindle. :-/

message 3: by Ms. Nikki (new) - added it

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Shaun wrote: "Well, this is bizarre. It's not available on Kindle. :-/"

It is not available for pricing at the moment. Wow.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Mitton (goodreadscomdeborah_mitton) | 10 comments yes I just went to purchase it too - not on Kindle ??? so what do we do now?

message 5: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments Physical copies, audiobook is available, and check your local library I guess. :-/ Go with the other book first and check back in a couple weeks otherwise I suppose.

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Mitton (goodreadscomdeborah_mitton) | 10 comments Yes - I purchased the next one on the list.

Monica Go | 464 comments I read it a couple of months ago and enjoyed it. I will check out your thoughts.

Myst | 401 comments I can get ghost story from the library, but no library I have access to has In the Dark.

My copy of Ghost Story is in transit currently.

Mike (mikebrough) | 24 comments Sorry to sound smug but it's available on Kindle in the UK. But I've ordered the paperback anyway, just so it's a level playing field.

What do you mean 'it's not a competition'? :-)

message 10: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments It's not a competition. It's where we all read the same book and share our experience and opinions. As simple as that.

message 11: by Ms. Nikki (last edited Jan 31, 2015 07:56PM) (new) - added it

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Post removed. We do not promote piracy.

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Hopefully I can get a cheap paperback copy of this one, I'd like to read along.

message 13: by Gary (new)

Gary (glmoore) | 87 comments I read this years ago. Dont know what I did with the copy though.

Char  | 13888 comments Mod
I I've been pressing that button at Amazon " Tell publisher you would like to read this on Kindle" for years. I don't think the publisher cares what I want. :(

message 15: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Nikki, I quite understand.

message 16: by Addy (new) - added it

Addy | 4989 comments I do have this one but I'm on the fence with Peter straub. The last book I read from him, I really had a hard time trying to finish, so I think I'll wait for now and read everybody's comments. The kindle thing sucks:(

message 17: by Mike (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike (mikebrough) | 24 comments Any idea why the Kindle version isn't available in the US when it is in the UK? Is it a licensing thing?

And, John, I suspect you don't do humour.

message 18: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Sorry, Mike, I was a bit slow there.

message 19: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Mike, it could very well be a licensing thing. The one thing I've noticed with Straub, for instance, is that the majority of them are indeed available as ebooks, but you can only get a couple of them in the UK (Ghost Story and a book of his non-fiction called Sides). Why is this? As regards the Kindle library in the States, I'd really like to know just what is available when it comes to Peter Straub, being only one author of course.

message 20: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Sorry, and Koko.

I asked Mr. Straub when it would be available for Kindle and he said they were "working on it." This was about 2 years ago and I've never heard anything since.
This is one of my favorite books of all time and I would love to read it again on a Kindle. My paperback is beyond repair.

message 22: by Mike (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike (mikebrough) | 24 comments Am I missing something? I can see Ghost Story for the Kindle on both the US and UK Amazon sites:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Story-P...

and

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Story-Pet...

Kirstin | 415 comments Mike wrote: "Am I missing something? I can see Ghost Story for the Kindle on both the US and UK Amazon sites:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Story-P......"

The US link states ' Not available for sale'

message 24: by Mike (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike (mikebrough) | 24 comments Thanks, Kirstin. That explains it.

Doesn't show that way when I look at the page but I'm assuming that, as I'm UK-based, they'd just re-direct me to .co.uk. Showing as $5.92.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

This and Hell House are my two favorite horror books. I hope everybody enjoys this one.

message 26: by Ms. Nikki (new) - added it

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments John wrote: "Nikki, I quite understand."

Thank you for being understanding and nice about it. So rare :)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10839 comments Mod
I just read this last year so I'm going to skip this group read. I hope everyone enjoys it.

message 28: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 13 comments I read it recently and enjoyed it. Thought it was well written and I can see why such a fuss has been made over it and writers such as Caitlin Kiernan and Stephen King have sung its praises.

I did feel I lost out a little in terms of having only read a small amount of horror stories and seen few films as I think there might have been references I was missing but there was still plenty to love.

I thought the writing was very solid and atmospheric - polished is perhaps the word.

message 29: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Ben, having read the book while being not too versed in the horror field would, I think, have benefitted you. With nothing in it's genre to compare it to, your opinion would therefore not be influenced or bias. Indeed, Straub would be a fine starting point as his style is very literary.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5840 comments Mod
ARG! I can't find my copy! (Sigh...I have a feeling that it was "acquired" by a family member--I would never have given that one away.....) To the library!

message 31: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Israel | 1 comments Got an archived version from the library that has the default library hardcover. Never read Peter Straub or even participated in this. Excited for sure.

Dennis Anthony | 33 comments Charlene wrote: "I asked Mr. Straub when it would be available for Kindle and he said they were "working on it." This was about 2 years ago and I've never heard anything since.
This is one of my favorite books of ..."

I listened to it on Audible, so that's an option if you can't get it any other way.

message 33: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments Well, I still have to finish last month's read. Then I'll jump onto the other book we picked for this month. I have a trip to the library scheduled in a couple weeks, so I'll see if they have this one available then.

message 34: by John (new) - added it

John B. (njshorereader) | 27 comments I just picked up my paperback copy from Barnes and Noble today. It cost me around eight bucks, but from what I'm hearing it is well worth the price. I hope I enjoy it as much as everyone else.

Jeremy Hurd-McKenney (jtcontinental) My copy of Ghost Story has arrived.

Simon Dot (simondot) I got the ebook. Hopefully I can read it before March. Including Ghost Story, I will be reading 3 books at the same time plus writing two of my books and running my own business :)

Simon (simon-revels-in-reading) | 17 comments I've already read this book. I loved it, so will observe with interest and see how it fares.:)

I just got notice that my copy came in the library--hoping to start this weekend. :)

Simon Dot (simondot) read the first few pages and I like how it's written already. Do we discuss the book on this thread?

message 40: by Kasia (new) - added it

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3123 comments Mod
I thought i was going crazy not being able to get the kindle copy lol, guess I have to dig through my books at my mom's house, I know it bought it years ago.. hardcover too :P

Kasia wrote: "I thought i was going crazy not being able to get the kindle copy lol, guess I have to dig through my books at my mom's house, I know it bought it years ago.. hardcover too :P"

I know for a fact that I had a copy, too--LOL! Just when I need it back....

message 42: by Kasia (new) - added it

Kimberly wrote: "I know for a fact that I had a copy, too--LOL! Just when I need it back.... "

Isn't it always like that? I started reading Laymon instead for now even though I have a paper copy at mom's house but I have Kindle Unlimited, so it was easy peasy. I guess I can check out my favorite ancient relic, the library, haven't been there in ages.

Simon Dot (simondot) I tend to buy the hard copy when I want it as a collection. Any do that too?

message 44: by Kasia (new) - added it

Simon wrote: "I tend to buy the hard copy when I want it as a collection. Any do that too?"

Yes, always if I can, and it looks so nice too on the shelf, double enjoyment.

Simon Dot (simondot) Kasia wrote: "Yes, always if I can, and it looks so nice too on the shelf, double enjoyment."

I am running out of room to put my books lol

Simon wrote: "read the first few pages and I like how it's written already. Do we discuss the book on this thread?"

Simon, yes. We ask that you preface any posts with the chapter or percentage of the book you're commenting on and then use spoiler tags. This way everyone can see where in the book you are, and then choose to click or not click on the spoiler, depending on where they are.

Simon wrote: "I tend to buy the hard copy when I want it as a collection. Any do that too?"

All too often.....

Jeremy Hurd-McKenney (jtcontinental) (Part 1, Chapter 4, p 60/576) So far a bit slow, but it's still early. The teaser drew me in right away, but once the action shifted to old men sitting around a parlor, it sort of lost me.

The book is long, so I'm expecting some ebb and flow.

message 49: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Jeremy, Peter Straub has to be digested slowly. Don't rush, pace yourself. His style is a thing to savour.

message 50: by Char (last edited Feb 06, 2015 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeremy wrote: "(Part 1, Chapter 4, p 60/576) So far a bit slow, but it's still early. The teaser drew me in right away, but once the action shifted to old men sitting around a parlor, it sort of lost me.

The bo..."

Jeremy, please use spoiler tags for your posts in the future. Directions as to how to do that can be found in the link about the posting box that says (some html is ok).
Thanks!

And John is right, Straub has to be digested slowly. Also, I feel that this book does drag at first. Which is why it took me 3 tries to get into it. :)

« previous 1 3