Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Calling All Travelers! Sail off with 1 of 5 Copies of BLY VS BISLAND on Sun. 1 Feb.!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Commins (karencommins) | 75 comments Could you use a vacation?

How about a trip around the world?

I have 5 gift copies available of my new audiobook BLY VS BISLAND: BEATING PHILEAS FOGG IN A RACE AROUND THE WORLD by Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland. This book is sure to delight the traveler in you!

---> Just leave a comment and tell me your favorite place in the world. <--
Winners will be chosen by random number at 5PM EST Sunday 1 February!

BLY VS BISLAND: BEATING PHILEAS FOGG IN A RACE AROUND THE WORLD
BLY VS BISLAND BEATING PHILEAS FOGG IN A RACE AROUND THE WORLD by Nellie Bly

Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland were journalists in 1889. On 14 November 1889, Nellie Bly’s newspaper sent her, a woman traveling alone, out on a trip around the world. She wanted to beat the time by Phileas Fogg, the fictional character in Jules Verne’s AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS.

The morning Bly left, Elizabeth Bisland’s magazine decided to send her around the world as well. She was racing against Bly and expecting to beat her back to New York.

As much as I love to travel, I can't imagine going alone today on such a bold journey, especially with such little planning. They also went in the winter, the worst travel season possible. I truly admire the tremendous courage and adventurous nature of these Victorian ladies!

Both reports wrote a book about their trips. Although they traveled to the same places at the same time, they saw and wrote about their journeys in totally different ways.

Neither book was previously available on Audible. In fact, to my knowledge, Elizabeth's book has never been recorded.

To celebrate the 125th anniversary of this amazing race, I decided to create a ** NEW BOOK ** from their accounts, interweaving their narratives along the same timeline! Now you can go around the world in 11 hours and 34 minutes!

Who will win the race?

I asked the very talented Melissa Reizian Frank to co-narrate with me. I was thrilled she immediately said yes and found room in her busy recording schedule to accommodate my short deadline.

I narrate Nellie Bly's account, and Melissa narrate's Elizabeth's story.

As an added bonus, the credits feature the Stephen Foster song "Nelly Bly" from which Elizabeth Cochran took her pen name. The music is brilliantly performed by noted musicians Vivian and Phil Williams and is used with their gracious permission. You can hear more of their music at VoyagerRecords.com.

To enter the giveaway:

---> Just leave a comment and tell me your favorite place in the world. <--
Winners will be chosen by random number at 5PM EST Sunday 1 February!

If I were entering this contest, I would have to say Paris, specifically at the top of the Eiffel Tower.

I can't wait to see your replies because you might give me new ideas of places to go! :)

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (nrlymrtl) | 95 comments My favorite place, besides where I live, is Port Angeles, Washington state, USA. Might seem mundane to some, but I love the mix of mountains and sea, lots of rain, some snow, long gardening season, and, especially, the monkey puzzle trees!

message 3: by Joan (new)

Joan Roman Pavlick | 123 comments My favorite place was in NH on top of Mount Washington to the New England coastline for lighthouse watching that my husband and I spent for our 35 anniversary. Only a few months before he unexpectedly past away . My next place is Gettysburg! I would love to see the Grand Canyon for I am so into photography and this would be another dream spot. Love to go back to Dominican Republic on the southern side of the island near La Romano.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Commins (karencommins) | 75 comments Congrats to Susan and Joan! Please send a PM to me with your email addresses, and I'll send your gift book to you!

@Susan -- I have a friend who wants to move to your area just for all the reasons you listed. It sounds like a beautiful and wonderful place!

@Joan -- I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I know those special memories of your 35th anniversary are all the more special now.

In Feb. 1999, I was in Phoenix for a business meeting. A few of us decided to go to the Grand Canyon. The days were still short in February, so we only had about 45 minutes at the Canyon before sunset. I'm glad I even got to see it for that long as it is truly breathtaking in person!

message 5: by Joan (new)

Joan Roman Pavlick | 123 comments Thanks Karen will send it along to you shortly.