Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

Series > Sebastian St. Cyr by C. S. Harris

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Quite a few members are reading this series. This is the place to discuss the books.

Please use spoiler tags so as not to give anything away to those who are just starting out.

message 2: by Veronica (last edited Feb 02, 2015 01:30PM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments I'm anxiously awaiting the next book, Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr #10) by C.S. Harris , next month. While I always enjoy the mysteries, I find I've really become quite attached to Sebastian and his personal life. Anyone else hoping that (view spoiler) lol

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 144 comments Just started When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr #2) by C.S. Harris #2 in the series. I like the beginning!

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Chris wrote: "Just started When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr #2) by C.S. Harris #2 in the series. I like the beginning!"

I'm also reading it now, Chris :0)

I'm up to chapter 11 and (view spoiler)

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Skipping that spoiler until I've caught up with you, Veronica :0)

message 6: by Chris (last edited Feb 03, 2015 10:26AM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 144 comments Lauren wrote: "Chris wrote: "Just started When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr #2) by C.S. Harris #2 in the series. I like the beginning!"

I'm also reading it now, Chris :0)

I totally agree with you on that spoiler! I'm just trying to figure motive.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Chris wrote: "I totally agree with you on that spoiler! I'm just trying to figure motive. "

Me too!

Do you think (view spoiler). Also, do you also think that (view spoiler) and (view spoiler)

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments See? Those are the issues that really riveted me to this series. I enjoy the mysteries and the setting, don't get me wrong, but Sebastian's life is what truly hooked me.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 144 comments Lauren wrote: "Chris wrote: "I totally agree with you on that spoiler! I'm just trying to figure motive. "

Me too!

Do you think [spoilers removed]. Also, do you also think that [spoilers removed] and [spoilers ..."

I think there must be something to (view spoiler) and (view spoiler) Sebastian's sister was pretty awful (view spoiler)
What about Kat? (view spoiler)

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Veronica wrote: "See? Those are the issues that really riveted me to this series. I enjoy the mysteries and the setting, don't get me wrong, but Sebastian's life is what truly hooked me."

Yes, it is the personal issues that are really gripping me although the mysteries are also good.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Regarding Sebastian's family (view spoiler)

Kat - (view spoiler)

Motive - (view spoiler)

message 12: by Veronica (last edited Feb 04, 2015 06:22AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Chris, you have a point about Sebastian's sister, Amanda, and the (view spoiler) I'm never sure how those old laws work.

I don't much care for Kat either. Her history (view spoiler) should've made her interesting but she's always seemed bland to me. Thankfully she doesn't eat up much page time in the books.

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 144 comments Veronica wrote: "Chris, you have a point about Sebastian's sister, Amanda, and the [spoilers removed] I'm never sure how those old laws work.

I don't much care for Kat either. Her history [spoilers removed] shoul..."

I agree about Kat (view spoiler)

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 144 comments Just finished, and I might have enjoyed the ending. I'll have to think about it for a little while. (view spoiler)

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments I'm still on book one, so I can't really join in. I wasn't sure at first as it seemed like it was going to be too much action, but I am really liking Sebastian now! I'll try to read faster!

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 144 comments Michelle - read at whatever pace you enjoy! We can watch what we say :-)

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Thanks!

message 18: by Lauren (last edited Feb 05, 2015 08:06AM) (new)

I'm also done and I agree, Chris - (view spoiler)

Regarding the mystery - (view spoiler)

I loved the fact that (view spoiler)

Kat - (view spoiler)

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Chris wrote: "Michelle - read at whatever pace you enjoy! We can watch what we say :-)"

Don't worry Michelle, we will use spoiler tags and don't hesitate to comment so we can put in our two cents :0)

message 20: by Veronica (last edited Feb 05, 2015 09:12AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Michelle - I'm glad you're reading the book. Sebastian is a great character. I hope you like the first book enough to keep going with the series. Please be sure to share your thoughts as you go. I'm up to date on the series but I always love to hear others' thoughts on the books.

I agree with the thoughts regarding Amanda. I don't think there's a nice bone in her body.

I'd forgotten about (view spoiler) I've done one re-read of the series but I started with book four so it's been quite awhile since I've read the first three books. A bit of foreshadowing???

Kat - (view spoiler) Lauren, you and I seem to be of very like mind about her so far.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Thanks, Veronica!

message 22: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 80 comments I have read all of the St.Cyr books and am anxiously awaiting my library to get the 10th book, "Who Buries the Dead." I love the characters in this series and the way in which the author has developed them. As someone earlier stated, even though I love the historical mystery being developed in each book I also love the continuous story being told about Sebastian, his wife, and more importantly his own past. All in all a great series!!!

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Finished Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3) by C.S. Harris - this series is getting better and better with each installment. The mystery was disturbing and there were moments as the details of the underlying crime were revealed that I could understand the motive if not condone or accept it.

The developments in Sebastian's personal life were also excellent and I'm really pleased in the direction his relationship with Kat has taken. Its about time we (view spoiler)

message 24: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments I'm glad you're still enjoying the series, Lauren. I agree with you about Kat. It's not that I hate her so much as I just find her bland. And I was always disappointed that the reveal of her involvement with the French as a spy didn't come with more fireworks.

The next book is one of my favorites of the entire series.

message 25: by Lauren (last edited Apr 27, 2015 07:56AM) (new)

I know what you mean, Veronica. My problem with Kat is that, regardless of whether her motives are justified, she is a (view spoiler)

I also thought that her actions were glossed over too quickly and that Sebastian was far too forgiving and accepting.

I'm really looking forward to the next book because of your review :0)

message 26: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments I hope it lives up to my hype, lol.

message 27: by Lauren (new)

I finished Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4) by C.S. Harris and it is fantastic!

The mystery is interesting and Harris is so skilled at incorporating historical fact into her storylines.

Sebastian is great as usual, but the character who shines the most is definitely Hero Jarvis. I really enjoyed her forthrightness and her banter with Sebastian. One thing that surprised me in a good way was her courage and lack of squeamishness. I couldn't believe it when she (view spoiler)

Can't wait to read the next one.

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments I'm so glad you liked it, Lauren. Hero definitely added that something extra to the series and I think she makes a perfect counterpart to Sebastian. The fact that she's Jarvis' daughter adds another interesting dynamic to the mix.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

I just finished books #5 and #6 in the series. What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5) by C.S. Harris and Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6) by C.S. Harris

It is rare for me to read two books in a series back to back (I don't want to get burned out) but these are just so good that I'm hooked.

The developments in Sebastian and Hero's relationship are the best aspect of the books. She is a fantastic heroine and I loved the fact that in book #6, she (view spoiler)

message 30: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments It also makes me happy to see someone else enjoying this series. I think the author does a great job of making me feel the time period.

I totally agree about Hero and especially your spoiler. I love that about her! I also love that she (view spoiler) Good for her!

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Totally agree with that spoiler, Veronica. Their (view spoiler)

message 32: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 80 comments I completely agree....I love this series. Hero is a great character the perfect wife for Sebastian. I am anxiously awaiting for my library to get the next one!!

message 33: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Check back after you've read it, Michell. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments I can't wait to get back to this series. Several books piled up in front of it, but don't forget about me!

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Michelle wrote: "I can't wait to get back to this series. Several books piled up in front of it, but don't forget about me!"

Which book are you up to, Michelle?

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Woefully, I've only read the first one! I'm reading Book 2 of the Bess Crawford series An Impartial Witness (Bess Crawford, #2) by Charles Todd right now.

Everyone says the Sebastian books get better over time, so I'd like to keep going. Book 1 was good, but didn't blow me away...

message 37: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 80 comments Yes, you should go back to the St. Cyr books they are wonderful but the Bess Crawford series is fantastic as well!

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Thanks, Michell!

message 39: by Lauren (new)

Michelle wrote: "Everyone says the Sebastian books get better over time, so I'd like to keep going. Book 1 was good, but didn't blow me away... "

I really enjoyed the first 3 but it became fantastic with book #4

message 40: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Ditto what Lauren said. I was enjoying the series well enough for the first three books but book four is where I fell in love with it.

message 41: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Interesting...I'll definitely keep going then!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I just started the first book What Angels Fear- it really pulls you in. Very good so far...

message 43: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Glad you're reading it, Christina. Be sure to pop back in to share your thoughts. :)

message 44: by Lauren (new)

Christina wrote: "I just started the first book What Angels Fear- it really pulls you in. Very good so far..."

Hope you enjoy it, Christina. Do come back and tell us what you think of it.

message 45: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments By the way, the next book in the series, When Falcons Fall, has a cover everywhere else except here at GR. I'm not sure how one gets a cover attached to the book listing but it's up for pre-order.

http://www.amazon.com/When-Falcons-Fa...

http://csharris.blogspot.com/2015/06/...

message 46: by Lauren (new)

Veronica wrote: "By the way, the next book in the series, When Falcons Fall, has a cover everywhere else except here at GR. I'm not sure how one gets a cover attached to the book listing but it's ..."

Thanks Veronica. I've updated the book page.

message 47: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Awesome. Thanks, Lauren!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished What Angels Fear- I enjoyed it. I put a hold on the next one at the library. :)

I enjoyed that all the loose ends weren't tied up, now I'm eager to read the next one.

message 49: by Lauren (new)

Glad you enjoyed it, Christina. What did you think of Kat's character?

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I have mixed feelings about her. I'll admit she's not my favorite. I mean I understand her motivations, but she's still shady to me. I want to continue reading to see what happens.

« previous 1 3