Staunton Public Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
group > Summer Reading and programs (2015)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments The Summer Reading game will be about heroes.
From normal every-day heroes to the Avengers, what are your favorite heroes and your ideas for events in the summer?

message 2: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments We might have already planed most of this but we can still go over the details and change stuff before the calender comes out, which is a long time away.

message 3: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Lihos (audrey_grace) | 9 comments I don't understand how this works for the teens. Can we go over it in TAB? @ Kayla

message 4: by Kayla, The overseeer (new)

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments We will definitely mention Summer Reading Games at TAB! Also Comic Con (date suggestion and start brainstorming activities).

message 5: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Do you buy the prize books for the summer reading game? Or are those books just extras?

message 6: by Kayla, The overseeer (new)

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments There are about 200 prize books in storage for the summer reading games. I'm going to try and do a better job of bringing down a variety of books for people to select from. Maybe you guys can help me look through them and pick out the best ones for display?

We do get a budget for buying new books a the Green Valley Book Fair but because we already have so many prize books I decided to put that money toward buying books for the YA Collection instead this year.

message 7: by Kayla, The overseeer (new)

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments Date for Comic Con: Thursday, June 25th in the evening. Waynesboro is having theirs on Friday the 26th and it will be at Augusta County on Saturday, June 27th.

message 8: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments hmm, are the libraries planing on having the same type of events? Or are they all going to be different?

message 9: by Kayla, The overseeer (new)

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments I'm hoping to get with Elzena and Claire at ACL and WPL soon to talk about the events, but I think we will be doing our own thing. Maybe some crossover but we should mix it up a bit.

message 10: by Riven, Co-Moderator (last edited Feb 24, 2015 12:53PM) (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Ok. So are we doing like with Harry potter event: Just lots of crafts and games/competition, or like the Comic con 2 yrs ago with making candy sushi, anime movies, and ramen noddles? -I'm sure they had more crafts but I was working in the board room cutting candy while everything else was in the meeting room. Maybe you should ask Elzena what we did when you see her.
And how long is Comic con going to be this year? I think I remember it being from 12:30-6:00pm or something before because we where playing 3 movies, but I dont remember it very well. *facepalm*. We also had someone from Parks and Rec help because she wanted to start a Parks and Rec tab and was interested in how we worked. We had a anime drawing contest(Which was ruined because all the adults participated)and...ugh, I dont remember. But anyway, I really liked the comic con we did previously, though it might cost too much.

message 11: by Kayla, The overseeer (new)

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments Good ideas! I can talk to Claire (from Parks and Rec) about getting their involvement again this year. Since the theme for SRG is superheroes I want to have more of a Marvel/DC/comic book focus than Anime. Hopefully I can talk to the guy at G2K games about getting his involvement again, though we still have at least one or two boxes of comics that he donated in the PR office.

We can still do candy sushi and have something to do with anime, but I had quite a few people last year express that they wanted to see more super heroes than anime.

message 12: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Hmm, true. Maybe we could divide anime and superhero into the different rooms? Hmm. That would be complicated though. It probably wouldn't work w/o a lot of volunteers. But if Parks and Rec helps....I dont know. I'm going to have to think about this. Can we bring it up at Tab?

message 13: by Kayla, The overseeer (new)

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments We will definitely bring this up at TAB. This is something I want us to get a good head start on. As for timing, I'm thinking it will be around 4-8pm ish? We can always ask about having the staff room open for the food crafts like candy sushi or cupcake wars or something. I'm attending a webinar on mini cons in libraries right now so hopefully I will have more suggestions come Monday!

message 14: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Ok,thanks. And for Comic Con YOU NEED BOTH ROOMS. Lot's of people came last time and we'll need the space. Especially since little kids, teens and adults come, you dont want the kids to be smothered by the bigger people :)

message 15: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Lihos (audrey_grace) | 9 comments okay i know comic con is still a bit away but do we have maybe i list of thing that need to be done? we could sign up for things we want to help with so the work load is a bit lighter.

message 16: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments We need to decide what to do first Audrey

message 17: by Kayla, The overseeer (new)

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments We can come up with a list of things to do and ideas in TAB on Monday.

message 18: by Kayla, The overseeer (new)

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments I had an idea while looking through the movies we can show at the library (http://library.movlic.com/). We were talking about fantasy heroes for the August movie. What about showing a movie or two from the villains' perspective? Maleficent would be a good option; it's rated PG and it just came out last year.

message 19: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments I saw the last half of Maleficent, it was great! My whole family liked it, it would be a good choice for a family movie thing.

message 20: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Villains would also fit with the "Unmasked" theme, so it's a good idea

message 21: by Frances, Co-Moderator (new)

Frances (frankie1199) | 28 comments I literally just watched Maleficent. I think I liked it more than Cinderella. In my Disney-freak group of friends who dragged me to the latter on opening night this is blasphemy but I would love to see it. It would definitely fit with fantasy.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.