What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: A Month Of Mystery
This topic is about Alfred Hitchcock Presents
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. missing postmen and a house that moves [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Muriel (new)

Muriel | 7 comments Hi, I am having alot of trouble remembering a story I once read. The story is about a mailman who moves to a new city for a new job. This particular town has had as many as three mailmen in as many months. No one knew what happened to the missing mailmen. Well the new mailman soon encounters a house on his route that he doesn't want to go near. It is the last house on a dead end street. Every day that he sees the house it appears to be getting smaller and smaller. I remember that he discovers that the mailmen all disappear because of this house, which leads me too think that he lives in this house, as all the previous ones have done. At the end the mailman disappears with the house.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40168 comments Mod
So this was a short story, not a novel or a novella? What year did you read it? Where did you read it - anthology, online, etc?

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2102 comments That does sound kind of familiar - the kind of thing that Alfred Bester or William Tenn (or Robert Sheckley?) might do. If I think of where I read it, I'll let you know.

message 4: by Muriel (new)

Muriel | 7 comments It was part of anthology. It's been within the last 3 years. It was a physical book.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Muriel, are you still looking for this work which is in an anthology, or have you found it?

message 6: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4300 comments It looks like she (or some other Muriel) has: http://whatwasthatbook.livejournal.co...
"Special Handling" by John Keefauver in Alfred Hitchcock Presents: A Month Of Mystery

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Great. Thank you, Ayshe. Moving to Solved.

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2102 comments Great!