Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Amazing Adv. of Kavalier & Clay > Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Who's Reading?/Discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (new) - added it

Odette | 316 comments Mod
The February 2015 book is The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon.
Who's reading?

FYI: There's a revised edition with additional chapters.

Michelle (fireweaver) | 65 comments soon as the library comes through, i'm in! this one has been on my radar for a long time.

Margaret | 49 comments I read this a few months ago, but will join in the discussion! I enjoyed it, overall.

message 4: by Odette (new) - added it

Thanks for your patience with the bump forward, Margaret.

My copy's waiting for me at the library.

Margaret | 49 comments I hope you enjoy it. It's an interesting combination of comic book and holocaust history.

Michelle (fireweaver) | 65 comments just finished it last night, and the universal praise on this one is pretty well deserved. the pacing is a bit slow in places, but i wouldn't cut a bit out of all the lavishly researched historical detail.

anyone else working on this one?

Margaret | 49 comments I read it last year. I agree with you--I enjoyed the historical details, and thought the pacing was slow in places. It was overall a great novel that must have taken so much research to write!

If I remember my thoughts correctly (unfortunately, I didn't write a review for this one!), while I liked all the characters, I thought the way they were written was almost "cutesy," but that's not quite the right word. Did you get that feeling at all?

message 8: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 132 comments I did not have time to read it this time around but I hope to at a later date!

message 9: by Odette (new) - added it

Still reading.

Michelle (fireweaver) | 65 comments Margaret, how about "precious"? And yes, I did, too.

Margaret | 49 comments Michelle wrote: "Margaret, how about "precious"? And yes, I did, too."

Haha, yes, I think that's it!

message 12: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) Margaret wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Margaret, how about "precious"? And yes, I did, too."

Haha, yes, I think that's it!"

I have just joined this group, and am actually intending to read The Priest Fainted with y'all... but I noticed this discussion, and by a happy accident I am currently about half-way through K & C. I think the portrayal of the characters so far reads a bit like a comic book itself. One of the things I like is that the dialogue is like the jargon and vernacular of late 30's New York. I can picture all the characters of the story easily fitting into running panels of comic book art.

message 13: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) welcome Janice. I still need to read this one -- someday.

Margaret | 49 comments Janice George (JG) wrote: "Margaret wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Margaret, how about "precious"? And yes, I did, too."

Haha, yes, I think that's it!"

I have just joined this group, and am actually intending to read The Priest ..."

I loved the historical aspects of the novel. It really put me in that time frame.

message 15: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) Margaret wrote: "I loved the historical aspects of the novel. It really put me in that time frame..."

Yes, I feel completely immersed in the era.

message 16: by Odette (new) - added it

Welcome Janice.
I just posted the discussion folder/topic for The Priest Fainted

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.