Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) Heir of Fire discussion


663 views
Dorian and Chaol and Rowan and Sam and Aedion.

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

AbigailDenyse01 hey if you have read all three of the throne of glass books you will understand this. So you know how Rowans mate died? When he was talking about her he explained the mating thing and he said that you can never hurt your mate right? When Nehemia died she touched Dorians neck but didn't hurt him but with Chaol she practically killed him. If it wasn't for Dorian she would have killed him. She hurt him. And when she asked Rowan about it we all know he was bull shitting the thing about the magic and not shifting. When people say he was her mate it bothers the crap out of me because HE IS NOT. People say Sam was her mate. But in all those years The Assassins Guild she probably would of hurt him. About Rowan... I love him but he can't be her mate because she definitely hurt him. The only one of them who did not get hurt was Dorian. I am not saying he is her mate but he could be. Didn't Rowan saying something about not knowing until something like set it off? I think that if anyone is her mate it would be him and when she finds out about what the King did it will get set off or something. Finally about Aedion I think we all know he is in love with her but nothing is ever going to happen between them. Personally I think that he is going to die at the hands of the King in Queen of Shadows.
What do you guys think? Agree? Disagree? Totally different opinion? Please comment.


Leah I actually wouldn't be surprised if Dorian and Aelin turned out to be more closely related than it seems (the peculiarity of his sapphire eyes was emphasised on several occasions, he really doesn't seem to have anything in common with his father, and Maas hinted there might be more to his parentage).

I don't yet fully comprehend the rules/laws of mating. I agree that Chaol is pretty much out of the game, and that Sam was definitely not her mate – Rowan says that it's a bond that goes beyond death (or something like that), and she is clearly over him by now. So Rowan might also still be tied to Lyria, though I'm not clear on that. It was never specified whether you can have more than one mate, and I doubt Aelin is some kind of Lyria reincarnation (I actually hated that character, she seemed so passive – I'd imagine Rowan with a fellow warrior, not some measly flower girl).

And every new character is a cousin-but-not-that-related, which is slightly confusing in terms of ruling anyone out due to incest red flag. Rowan & Aelin do seem to be quite unrelated (as he compares their common lineage to that of himself and a pig), but I agree Aedion is too close for comfort. Plus, in the vision in the end, he was a proud member of her court, but not by her side, which for me is telling. And no other potential love interest is in that vision at all, so I'm tentatively ruling him out.

I am not ruling out Manon, though – she and Aelin would make an awesome blond power couple :-)

In any case, there are three? more books to come and anything can happen. I just hope the OTP doesn't come together in the last 30 pages of the last book, I want to see their love in action, whoever they end up being.


The Book Addict (Spoilers for HoF)

I don't know if I've got this whole mate thing right, but my understanding is that you can't hurt your mate after the bond is made, in which case most of these guys have not been ruled out (though they might be ruled out for other reasons). So, my judgement is...

Rowan hasn't been on that level of intimacy with her yet, so we can't judge him yet.
Celaena didn't hurt Sam after they were together, so if not for the fact that he is dead, he would still be in the picture.
She may not have hurt Dorian, but he seems to have found his own 'mate' (Sorscha, who is now dead). However, he isn't Fae, so the whole mate thing might not apply to him, so there is a slight chance he could love Celaena, but I'm not counting on it. I get the feeling that Sorscha's only purpose in the story was to ruin the Celorian aspect.
Aedion is more like a brother to her; she herself mentioned that the idea of marrying him is laughable. He may love her, but I don't think it's a romantic love.

Chaol is the only one I would rule out on account of her hurting him. I think he and Celaena are totally done, especially since she removed his ring at the end of HoF.


I'mogén Is that what the new books called? Queen of Shadows? Sweet... Well, I don't really understand the mating thing so much yet, but I kind of hope it's not Dorian, because he's turning into a bit a sod, in my opinion. :P


Jayne My issue with Doria is that he fell in love so easily, and eventhough I was on team Celorian the first two books, I no longer am because of how he felt for Sorsch(a character whom I obviously did not like)
Aedion loves her too much and he reminds me of Adrian from Vampire Academy if ahyone read that
Rowan is a character that as much as I love, I really hope she doesn't hook up with. There needs to be some line between friends and lovers in this book and so far its been crossed literally every time. And for a person like Celeania, she needs all the support she can get, and hopefully from Roawn that is more of a platonic support than romantic
Chaol I think is endgame material, however, I really hope he isn't .He's extremley boring and bland and I don't understand the attraction to him. Besides his loyality and determination he doesn't really have very many good qualities
I haven't read the Assasin's Blade yet(I think thats what its called) so I can't judge Sam, but if he is alive I doubt she'd end up with him considering she's already fallen in love like 4 times since him.
Sooooooo pretty much I'm banking on a new guy to come in to change it up and add more confusion in, there's already liek 10 of them might as well add more potential love-interets in, and maybe make some of them endgame material but not as boring as a rock.


AbigailDenyse01 I am so glad all of you agree about Chaol. He totally is bland and boring! Chalaena bothered the shit out of me.
Jayne you should TOTALLY read the assassins blade! it shines so much on her past! and made me add another person to my "you can die painfully" list, but I am not going to talk about that.
And like all of you I have no idea about the mating thing-a-ma-gig and i really hope that Maas explains it to a more detailed extent. I agree with all of you. you all have great ideas! I CAN'T WAIT FOR QUEEN OF SHADOWS!!! GAAAAH!


I'mogén AbigailDenyse01 wrote: "I am so glad all of you agree about Chaol. He totally is bland and boring! Chalaena bothered the shit out of me.
Jayne you should TOTALLY read the assassins blade! it shines so much on her past! an..."


CANNOT WAIT! *Screams*


AbigailDenyse01 it is actually KILLING me! we have to wait until sept 1!!!????
its actually very reasonable since heir of fire kind of came out recently and with city of heavenly fire the wait was like two years but still I need it!


I'mogén AbigailDenyse01 wrote: "it is actually KILLING me! we have to wait until sept 1!!!????
its actually very reasonable since heir of fire kind of came out recently and with city of heavenly fire the wait was like two years b..."


It's crazy! The struggle is real xD But yeah, understandable.. I should get round to starting those books o.O


AbigailDenyse01 what books? the mortal instruments?


Alyloony Alyloony Oh she hurt Dorian in the first book. She broke his heart into million pieces XD


Roisin Whelan I'mogén wrote: "AbigailDenyse01 wrote: "it is actually KILLING me! we have to wait until sept 1!!!????
its actually very reasonable since heir of fire kind of came out recently and with city of heavenly fire the w..."


They're sooooo good!!!


The Book Addict Aly wrote: "Oh she hurt Dorian in the first book. She broke his heart into million pieces XD"

True; good point.


Maliha I think Aedion is out of the running because they are cousins and though he suggested he would marry her if she asked, he didn't mention having a physical need for her. I mean they were kids when they last saw each other so any kind of feelings he has for her would be restricted to devotion and admiration. Love, sure, but that of a protector and brother and friend not lover.

Rowan and Celaena would make one super power couple but they are confused of what they feel for each other. Celaena mentioned feeling 'stirrings' when Rowan touched her hair so that could be a hint but then again they both clarified that they felt a protector's/friend's need/possessiveness for each other. As it is, they have the carranam bond and now Rowan has made a blood oath to serve her as well. I feel like a mating bond or love between them would be overcomplicating their relationship.

Sam, as sad as the fact is, remains dead. I had thought of his dead body being faked but I doubt the murderers would have gone to the length of scrubbing a body with a particular cheap soap the assassins used to fake it. So yeah, he's still dead in my opinion. Arobynn, however, could have...

Dorian was only there for Celaena in the first book. I love how he supports her and has hope for her but the way he dismissed his feelings for her as that of a foolish boy's made me dislike him. Isn't she worth ripping apart the world for? Just because he moved on doesn't mean he should belittle of how he once felt for her. If he has to be king, I guess he will end up with Celaena when she becomes Queen.

Chaol wants a simple, content life with an obedient housewife to feed him and raise his children. He'll never get that in Celaena so I don't think they will be a couple again. Besides, his allegiance is to Dorian and not her so I think he might die for Dorian in the end before he ends up with Celaena again.

Elide and Ansel would make good significant others for some of these boys. Maybe even Lysandra?


I'mogén Roisin wrote: "I'mogén wrote: "AbigailDenyse01 wrote: "it is actually KILLING me! we have to wait until sept 1!!!????
its actually very reasonable since heir of fire kind of came out recently and with city of hea..."


Stahp convincing meh! My wallet will die so hard!! xD


I'mogén AbigailDenyse01 wrote: "what books? the mortal instruments?"
Yip yup! Are those the ones that have been turned into graphic novels? Or infernal Devices? o.O


AbigailDenyse01 idk but I would so read that


message 18: by Liz (last edited Apr 01, 2015 07:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Aedion is going to move into a brotherly kind of role, in my opinion. He's incredibly devoted to Aelin, but I don't feel any romantic love. Not that I would mind if there was because I happen to love him. He's my favorite of the guys and if I could give him the main character I would, but I don't see the series going in that direction.

Dorian isn't really a contender anymore. Both him and Aelin have moved on and acknowledged that what they had was just a flirtation. They have a really nice friendship and I don't want to see that messed with.

Sam unfortunately has been confirmed dead, if not he would have been the guy who's the underdog that comes out on top.

It's basically between Rowan and Chaol for me and I don't know who's a better match for her. It can't be denied that Aelin and Rowan are an unstoppable team and have an unbreakable bond, but it was said so many times that they're wasn't anything romantic between them. Though "doth protest too much" did come into my head when reading these bits because seriously, faces inches apart and mingling breath absolutely screams platonic.
And although Chaol wasn't at the top of his game in HoF he has a lot of character development ahead of him so you can't count him out and I kind of liked the fact that he didn't just drop everything for a woman (Chaol & Dorian BROTP 4EVA!) There are so many unresolved issues between Aelin and Chaol that need figuring out.


Roisin Whelan I feel like Dorian will have a lot of character development when (or if) he is released from his collar. I'm so pumped to see him grow into himself and be a king. I really hope he doesn't die!!


Roisin Whelan I feel like Dorian will have a lot of character development when (or if) he is released from his collar. I'm so pumped to see him grow into himself and be a king. I really hope he doesn't die!!


Roisin Whelan I feel like Dorian will have a lot of character development when (or if) he is released from his collar. I'm so pumped to see him grow into himself and be a king. I really hope he doesn't die!!


message 22: by Dara (new)

Dara Wang Aedion is on top of my list. If not him then Dorian, although I really don't care for Rowan as a love interest and would rather him to be a BFF, I absolutely loathe Chaol.


Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict I heard there was a theory that Celaena wasnt just Fae, that she was also part witch too. Anyway, its possible that because of this she might be able to hurt her mate. Idk. I just felt like when Rowen and her were talking about mating and the situation with Chaol that there was more to it.

Sarah J. Maas has definitely confirmed that Sam is definitely dead. And she got over him pretty quickly so Im pretty sure he is most definitely not her mate

I really hope that nothing with happened with Aedian. But I feel like he moght fall for her but she wont feel anything for him. I just want him as a brother figure

I also hope that Rowen and Celaena's friendship/bondship doesnt change. As much as I would love to see them together, I dont want their beautiful friendship is be tainted with romance. It will just mess everything up. Plus Rowen has already had a mate so he is out of the equation

And so that leaves Dorian and Chaol left. I didnt actually feel like Dorian was really in love with Celaena in the first book. It was more of an infatuation. So its totally possible that he could be her mate. And Im also not ruling out Chaol either. Right now she could be trying to forget about him and it might work for a while but there's still 3 more books left and judging by the first three book, anything could happen. I mean, if Sarag can just add a completely new character like Rowen in and make up fall completely in love with that character, its very possible she could do it again.

Ha! Whoever thought of the Manon/Celaena pairing, interesting thinking. Id be curious to see that happen.


message 24: by Dara (new)

Dara Wang Idk but of all the potential love interests for Aelin I only liked Aedion, and to a lesser extent, Dorian. And although both characters are not very likely going to end up with her, I do think the Crochans will probably play a more important role in the future. Hmm, maybe the two of them might end up with kickass good witches instead.


Kiana AbigailDenyse01 wrote: "hey if you have read all three of the throne of glass books you will understand this. So you know how Rowans mate died? When he was talking about her he explained the mating thing and he said that ..."

OMG I LOVE THIS IDEA wow thanks so much for that. I have a whole list of reasons why Dorian is the one for her but this one is definitely one of the best. You rock I can't sleep now knowing how perfect this is.


Varsha Leah wrote: "So Rowan might also still be tied to Lyria, though I'm not clear on that. It was never specified whether you can have more than one mate, and I doubt Aelin is some kind of Lyria reincarnation (I actually hated that character, she seemed so passive – I'd imagine Rowan with a fellow warrior, not some measly flower girl)."
Measly Flower Girl. Thats the perfect description and I totally love it.


bhavi I agree but I think Aedion should at least have a chance of seeing Aelin before he dies! He waited all those years! Dont You think?


Katrina♡•• AbigailDenyse01 wrote: "hey if you have read all three of the throne of glass books you will understand this. So you know how Rowans mate died? When he was talking about her he explained the mating thing and he said that ..."

I agree with you


Katrina♡•• Hey what do you think of Chaol pairing up with Manon????? Lol


Sydney Kisses A wrote: "Hey what do you think of Chaol pairing up with Manon????? Lol"

I like that! In Crown of Midnight I really thought it would be over and she would just choose Chaol. And then in Heir of Fire I thought Dorian was a done deal because of Sorcha, but in Throne of Glass I thought it would be him. Aedion is her cousin and he's too much like her not just genetically.Rowan is really good material for a love triangle because she can fall in love with someone else and then since Rowan is bound to her he would just be there with sad eyes and it would be beautiful because hes a fae and hed be sad forever


Kinga I don't mind the love triangle as much as I hate it in other books. But I will pissed off if (Sorry guys....) she ends up again in Chaol's arms. I mean, he had his chance, seduced her, had her and then acted exactly like he wasn't supposed to. I really like him, it's not that, but I think Aelin could do better when it comes to her man.
I want her to reconcile with Aedion but I don't want them together.
I'm stuck between Dorian and Rowan. She has a great bond with both of them.


Roisin Whelan Agreed! ^


Sophia There's this quote from Heir of Fire that says: "It was their bond, marked by blood and scent and something else she couldn’t place. A tether as strong as the one that bound her to her parents. Stronger, in some ways."

When Rowan bites her, I think what he tastes isn't her relationship with Chaol, but her mating with Aedion. I believe they mated from a young age, and I totally ship it.

Chaol was flaky as fuck in Heir of Fire, not able to accept Dorian or Aelin, so I don't want them to end up together for that reason. He couldn't get accept who she was, and I won't forgive him for that.


message 34: by D.H. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.H. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but some people just get the facts wrong when saying some nasty stuff about Chaol like he SEDUCED her or he wants an obedient wife. That it just straight up wrong. I can accept that someone thinks he is boring (though I strongly disagree and can name arguments why I disagree, but I respect your opinion. You have every right in the world to think he is boring). But the other things are just wrong and make me think people read a different book.
I could name so many parts of all three books that prove that he does not want an obedient housewife. To name a few: 1. He CHOSE CELAENA for heaven’s sake, someone who he knew very well was not and never would be the obedient type.
2. He never believes that he has to right to forbid her something and tell her not to go to dangerous places, though he worries sick about her. He knows she can take care of herself and will go anyway, but he has to right to worry when she does. I would be shocked if my mate was not worried about me.
3.He also stands up for other women numerous times in the books. He beats up the guards who mistreated Kaltain. He let Calaena beat up that one dude during the competition though the plan was to maintain a low profile. But that asshole kept on saying sexist stuff to Caleana and Chaol felt that he got his ass kicked by Celaena was well deserved, so he didn’t reprimand her.
And when being kidnapped and chained and in a bad shape, he still manages to grin and tell them they’d be in for a surprise if they underestimate Celaena. He often grins at her badassness, in fact.
4. He thinks about his mother and that she is submissive just like his father wants a wife to be and the way he thinks about his parents makes it clear that he disapproves. He even smiles to himself when thinking about how his father would react to someone headstrong like Celaena and wonders how that meeting would go down.
That he does not accept Dorian or Aelin is also untrue. He has issues with their magic. He does not understand it yet, but it never made him love them any less. And he is honest about it. Many people might find out stuff about their friends and might say it’s fine when it truth they still feeling weird or queasy about it, but just don’t mention it. I appreciate that he shows that he is still uncomfortable with it.
He also does not “accept” the bloodthirstiness and ferocity of Aelin which people criticize, but I love him even more for that. He had to swallow at some of the stuff that Celaena did, even before he knew who she was. And you guys hate him for it? Really? Because think about it: Would you rather have a character that is like: Yep, she killed someone brutally, she throws a severed head around, no big deal??? Of course, him being full of goodness, he has a hard time with such things.
And I’m sorry, but if one of your friends had magic like that in a world where it’s a dangerous thing and forbidden and could lead to terrible consequences, would you not need some time to think about it? To sort it all out? Don’t forget, he never pushes them away for that. He still loves those two and does everything he can to protect them. It was a lot to take in all at once with Nehemia, Celaena and Dorian. So give the poor guy a break. He’ll come around! (And to my mind he already came around at the end of Heir of Fire. He is about to become someone worthy of Aelin. He basically became an outlaw to help Celaena and her country. And to help Dorian. And I’m sure helping Aedion is also on his list. He gave up on things he believed all of his life. How can someone not appreciate that?
And he did not seduce Celaena. I can’t believe I just read that. That is not just insulting to Chaol, but also to Celaena, and to women in general for that matter. She was not a victim here. As if someone could seduce Celaena if she did not really want it. She was at least just as eager as Chaol. He was the one asking if she was sure. He was the one trying to hide his feelings for a long time. She was the one pushing it to happen.
As to someone being her mate, we would have to rule out Chaol AND Dorian, as she has hurt them both. Some people seem to forget that she SLAMMED Dorians head against a wall to knock him out and run after Fleetwood and Chaol in book 1. But I have the theory that since magic is not working in Adarlan, that that “Fae thing” that prevents you from hurting your mate simply does not work there. So both boys are still in the running, and I hope that one of them is her mate. I don’t want a new love interest. And as much as I love Rowan, I want them to be just friends. They are awesome as friends and I don’t want Aelin to fall for every guy she meets. And Aedion, who I love as well, would feel a little too incestuous for me, since they are cousins and they pretty much grew up together.

So, Chaol is the number one candidate for me (obviously). And you can hate him all you like, but at least hate him for the "right" reasons and not for reasons that show that you got some facts about him wrong. Obediant housewife. LMAO.

Having said that, I’m glad we’re all so passionate about this series to feel so strongly about these characters. If some things I say sound harsh, keep in mind that English is not my native language and I can never tell how harsh something might sound to a native speaker that sounds mild and respectful to me. In fact, I typically smile when I type these things. Defending fictional characters and fighting about love interests... It’s funny. ;-)


Roisin Whelan I find it so annoying how people hate on who someone ships in a novel. SRSLY get over it! I wish we could all just respect other people's opinions on character relationships and how they turn out in a book. This goes out to practically every fandom out there. We all love the same books it's just people have different opinions and morals and they will match their specific morals to characters who share them in a book.

We shouldn't need to justify why we like a certain relationship. We just need to accept others' ideas and bond over the fantastic novels that we share a passion for!

As for ToG, I have no idea who I want Aelin to end up with. I think I'm bending towards Rowan. I love how he's so accepting of Aelin and how she is so respectful of him. They have an amazing bond and understanding with one another. But, you never know with Sarah J Maas and that's why I love her writing so much and the characters that she creates. Can't wait for QOS! It's going to be so kickass and I can't wait to see how all the mini reunions between people play out!!!


message 36: by R.G (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.G ^^ Agreed!


Nancy Dara wrote: "Aedion is on top of my list. If not him then Dorian, although I really don't care for Rowan as a love interest and would rather him to be a BFF, I absolutely loathe Chaol."
OMG. You just said everything I wanted to say. Aedion is BAE. Aelin X Aedion is my OTP. I love Dorian and find Chaol annoying.


❄️saki❄️ she did hurt Dorian in the second book when she slammed his head into a wall trying to break free to help Fleetfoot and Chaol


message 39: by Conall (new)

Conall Shales Despite this not being possible, I still believe Nehemia is the only one meant for Celena.


back to top