The Creative Writer's Toolbelt discussion

CWT Episodes > Coming up...thanks for your input (even yours, J Nelson, from last year!)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Chamberlain (andychamberlain) | 272 comments Mod
Hi everyone

I wanted to let you know what's coming up on CWT in the coming months. Some of this is based on opinion from the survey I created in December.

A minority of the episodes will be guest interviews, based on feedback these will only be 1 out of 3 or 4 episodes and feature established writers or experts on the craft.

Future guests will include Jeanne Cavelos, the Director of the Odyssey Writing workshop, the acclaimed science fiction author Alastair Reynolds and the entrepreneur, writer and speaker J F Penn who I will be talking to as part of an episode on self-publishing (J Nelson you voted for this one last year, at last I’ve got round to it!)
I’ll continue to source the most interesting and informative guests for the show. If there’s anyone you really want to hear from – and I mean anyone – please let me know and I’ll try to track them down!
In terms of teaching episodes, I have now embarked on a series of podcasts that seeks to explore and illustrate all of the dimensions of creative writing.

This is a major task and I expect to have to spend a year or two (that’s about 20-40 episodes!) covering everything from plot to setting, character to style, the author’s life to tone and point of view.

The next episode will continue this section of the series, which is focused on plotting and planning, and I’ll be looking at the different functions of foreshadowing and how to use them in your work.

So for now, I hope your writing projects are going well, keep at it, and check iTunes for episode 28 on Saturday 10th February.

Best wishes
Andy

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin Smith (halfgleason) Sounds good! No worries on the long wait to cover self-publishing. I got behind on my podcast listening again and have spent the week getting caught up. I'm currently on episode 22 and have been enjoying them all.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Rauner (katerauner) | 26 comments Andy - when you get to self-publishing, here's a suggestion: I've frequently seen novels where each chapter is headed with a short quotation - a sentence or two - with attribution. Perhaps someone could comment on the legality - in the UK and US - of such quotes. Are such short quotes (from books, web pages, newspapers - song lyrics may be a different story) fair use?
Thanks and good luck with the 2015 plans.

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Hi Kate

An interesting question and one that had me having an initial look at this issue.

My limited research revealed mixed messages. Generally if you are in the UK, or European Union my reading of the law is that you need permission for these epigraphs unless you are quoting from the work for criticism or review, so if you are reviewing that work or talking about the ideas or theories in it then you are probably okay, outside of that you need to get permission. Section 14.7 of this lengthy web page from the British Academy refers to this:

http://www.britac.ac.uk/policy/copyri...

A look at advice from publishers shows that they tend to discourage their authors from using epigraphs. For example the section on epigraphs from this website:

http://www.palgrave.com/page/publishi...

Now I think this is because publishers don't want people to simply quote their authors work, they want to earn fees if they can and also if you're an editor and your author starts using epigraphs you might have to do the leg work of checking that it's ok to use them - what editor wants more work?!

I'm sensing the law (if not the attitude of publishers) in the US is a bit more relaxed, I found a couple of sites that give this sort of advice, as found at:

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/downl...

EPIGRAPHS
DESCRIPTION:
The use of quotations from poems to introduce chapters or sections of other works is a time-honored literary practice. Generally speaking, these quotations are selected for the connection to the text in question, although occasionally they may
be introduced for merely frivolous or decorative purposes. Members of the poetry community generally found this practice to be non-controversial.

PRINCIPLE:

Under fair use, an author may use brief quotations of poetry to introduce chapters and sections of a prose work or long poem, so long as there is an articulable
relationship between the quotation and the content of the section in question.

LIMITATIONS:
•Quoted passages should be reproduced as accurately as possible to reflect the poet’s underlying creative choices, except to the extent that modification is
specifically justified by the purpose of the use.

•Authors should provide conventional attribution to sources unless the original is readily recognizable by the intended audience or the absence of proper
attribution is justified by the purpose of the use.

• An author employing multiple epigraphs should draw from multiple sources unless there is specific justification for limiting quotations to one or a few sources.

In practice, I think that a the sort of thing you are talking about would not attract the attention of a publishers legal team, especially in the US. Also, I think it's wiser to avoid epigraphs if you are trying to publish commercially, since they may well put off prospective editors.

A

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Rauner (katerauner) | 26 comments That's a lot of research - thanks! I'm writing a novel and had thought about putting a short quote - with attribution and a url link in the e-book edition - at the start of each chapter. I'm barely noticeable as an author at the moment, so probably no one would notice, but you never know.

message 6: by Andrew (new)

I wish you enough success that people will notice what you do in your work!
A

message 7: by Rae (new)

Rae Kenny-Rife (raenforest) | 20 comments Thanks for all you do Andy. I'm past the halfway point of editing my third draft. Hoping to finish by the end of the month, but that's a lofty goal with working full time as well.
Rae

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Keep at it Rae. the reality for, I guess, 95% of writers is that we have to find a way to do what we do while managing the day job / kids / etc

I used to think there was a stragey to doing this, now I think it boils down to three elements:

- Keep up the momentum, write every day or every other day

- Set some targets and then be satisfied when you reach them

- dont beat yourself up if you don't do what you intended to

A

A