Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Task Ideas/Resources/Discussions > Task 23 - A book published in this year

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Barker-Simpson (mbarkersimpson) | 5 comments Hi

I'm overthinking again, but the link on the Book Riot's page leads to 2014 - is that the specified year for the challenge? I originally too it to be literally this year (2015).

Thanks for your help :-)

Mel

message 2: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 241 comments I plan on reading something published in 2014 since that was when the challenge was announced.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Barker-Simpson (mbarkersimpson) | 5 comments Oh! I thought it was a challenge for this year...I know what curiosity did, but what did thought do?! As I'm doing it this year, I'm going with 2015 - unless someone tells me any different ;-)

Thanks so much for the reply.

message 4: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 241 comments Well there are a lot of new books being published this year so i am sure you will find something yummy to read.

message 5: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Everyone gets to decide for themselves if they want to count 2014 or 2015 for this task. I am going to read a book for each year myself ( Red Rising (2014) and Golden Son (2015) by Pierce Brown).

message 6: by Velma (new)

Velma (velmalikevelvet) | 4 comments Delicious Foods by James Hannaham

I just completed Task 23, reading Delicious Foods by James Hannaham. I received an advance copy of this title, which is due to be published in March of 2015.

This is a dark novel of racial, sexual, and familial themes that, despite it's difficult subject matter, I found to be both beautiful and profoundly hopeful.

My review is here.

message 7: by Bryan (new)

Bryan D. | 9 comments I'm in the LibraryThing Early Reviewers group and yesterday's mail brought a copy of J.T. Lundy's Saving grapes which I devoured almost in one sitting. As the book isn't scheduled to be published until May, 2015, it definitely fits with the idea of "this year." It's also funny, charming, passionate, and a great read. My review can be found in many places, including Goodreads, LibraryThing, Amazon, and my Facebook page, or just check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/dis...

message 8: by Kirin (new)

Kirin I'm reading Peter Carey's new book for this task: Amnesia. So far the book is different than what I expected based on the summary.

Thegirlintheafternoon | 58 comments I'm going with a book published in 2015, reading Toni Morrison's God Help the Child. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

message 10: by Robin P (last edited Feb 06, 2015 03:51PM) (new)

Robin P I'm not sure aboutGo Set a Watchman, the just-found book by Harper Lee - very exciting that it will be published in July, so could be used for this category, but can't help wondering if it's going to be a disappointment. Apparently they are just publishing it as is.

message 11: by Denise (new)

Denise Tyler | 21 comments I picked up this book for my Published this year challenge, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2....

I get updates from my local awesome independent book store and this looked good (of course, it appears to be a series so, I'll have to read Book 1 eventually).

Also picked up "Brown Girl Dreaming" for the Poetry book. I think I could have shopped all day there!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Robin wrote: "I'm not sure aboutGo Set a Watchman, the just-found book by Harper Lee - very exciting that it will be published in July, so could be used for this category, but can't help wonderin..."

I think I am going to allow myself to get sucked into the hype and will read it. How bad could it be?

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 07, 2015 06:51PM) (new)

Thegirlintheafternoon wrote: "I'm going with a book published in 2015, reading Toni Morrison's God Help the Child. Can't wait to get my hands on it!"

Yep, I am going with this one, too. I have it preordered from Amazon.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 13 comments Nick Hornby's Funny Girl by Nick Hornby was my pick for this one.

message 15: by Ramona (new)

Ramona Mead (ramonamead) I just finished Resilience: Two Sisters and a Story of Mental Illness by Jessie Close for this category, it came out mid January of this year. It was a brave and powerful memoir, I recommend it.

message 16: by Brenna (new)

Brenna (brebooklover) Just finished First Frost (Waverley Family #2) by Sarah Addison Allen

message 17: by Heidi (last edited Feb 18, 2015 08:46AM) (new)

Heidi Schwartz | 54 comments The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins Just finished The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins to complete #23. Excellent thriller that was truly engrossing till the final pages.

message 18: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 14 comments I have finished reading The Girl on the Train for this task.

message 19: by Bea (new)

Bea This is a duplicate thread. The Book Riot thread is here

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane | 19 comments I read The Girl on the Train for this task as well.The Girl on the Train

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.