The Quarterly Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo || 1st Quarter Read 2015 || Jan/Feb/Mar/Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ} (last edited Jan 30, 2015 07:19PM) (new)

Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ} | 1046 comments Mod
As one of the top choices according to the poll, the Quarterly Book Club is reading Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo for the Jan-Mar Quarter of 2015.

So, what did you think? Hates? Likes? Droolworthiness? Plot? Romance? The characters themselves?

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

Samantha (A History of Books) (ahistoryofbooksblog) | 217 comments Mod
Eeeep I'm so excited to start this!

Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ} | 1046 comments Mod
Me too!! Even though I'm still waiting for the book to come in from the library....it's almost here..... {there are like 20 copies with 3 still on shelves, yet a queue of 3 people to wait for.... >.>}

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (agoodyearinthelife) | 23 comments Just started. I've been putting this one off for a while as I know that so many people love it, and I'm not sure whether I will, so here goes!

I just started it last night as well! I got a little confused by all the terms and vocab thrown my way at first, but now I find that I'm hooked.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma (agoodyearinthelife) | 23 comments Yeah, the vocab has been driving me mad so far!

I'm glad the front of the book has some vocab. I've been looking online and finding some of the vocab

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma (agoodyearinthelife) | 23 comments Good idea. I might try that.

I just finished the book! This book read so fast! I'm gonna have to gather my thoughts and we can get some discussion going for those who have read the book.

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma (agoodyearinthelife) | 23 comments I finished it yesterday. I'm going to be writing a review for it soon.

So I wrote up my review and gathered up my thoughts. I loved this book. It read so fast, and usually when it comes to fantasy, I don't fly through a book like that. Thats usually reserved for contemporary novels. I struggled at first because I couldn't fully imagine the world because I didn't know the vocab. There is just so much thrown at you in the beginning. I had to google a lot of the words just to get some sort of image in my mind to know what was really going on.

I also had trouble with the romance aspect a bit. Mal was a hard character to get to know. I hated that he just kept brushing Alina off and then when shes gone, all of the sudden he needs her. I instantly shipped the Darkling because of this.

I was also unsure where the story was going until half way through. No villain had presented itself. I knew that there was an end goal, but I knew that there was going to be some sort of opposition and I was unsure where that was coming from. Once that twist hit, I instantly knew how the rest of the series was going to be laid out in a broad sense.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.