Heights Matchmakers discussion

What Are You Reading? > What Are You Reading? February 2015

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amia (new)

Amia (amiacw) | 20 comments Mod
This is a space where we, the Matchmakers, and you can discuss the books we are currently reading each month. Let us know in the comments below what books you're reading this month or ask us for some recommendations.

message 2: by Amia (new)

Rose Under Fire (Code Name Verity, #2) by Elizabeth Wein Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth Wein An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde
I'll start off the discussion here, I just finished Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein. It's the sequel/companion novel to Code Name Verity. I wrote up a blog post about it which you can read here. My next book is An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde. I've never read any of his work so I'll be interested to see how he writes. I find that sometimes with classic authors I've read so much about them before reading any of their work that I'm either really enthralled with it or slightly disappointed. But I'll keep you updated!

message 3: by Dana (new)

Dana | 3 comments Vivian Apple at the End of the World (Vivian Apple, #1) by Katie Coyle Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon
I just finished Vivian Apple at the End of the World by Katie Coyle, which was a delightful YA apocalypse novel. It sounds unique because it is. It also ended in a cliffhanger, so I'm excited for Vivian Versus America coming out sometime this year! I just started reading Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, the second in her Outlander series. So far it is completely unlike what I was expecting from a sequel, so I'm eager to read more.

message 4: by Baladine (new)

Baladine | 2 comments I just finished The Merciless by Danielle Vega, a great YA Horror novel! Quiet suburban town turns into a nightmare.. The author has a second book either out now or coming soon, it's not a sequel just another stand alone novel but I'll look forward to reading it when I get a chance.

message 5: by Amia (new)

Dana wrote: "Vivian Apple at the End of the World (Vivian Apple, #1) by Katie Coyle Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon
I just finished Vivian Apple at the End of the World by Katie Coyle, which was a deligh..."

Oh, Vivian Apple at the End of World sounds great, I love a good apocalypse story! I'll have to request it. Have you been watching the Outlander series as well as reading? If so, does it live up to the books?

message 6: by Amia (new)

Baladine wrote: "I just finished The Merciless by Danielle Vega, a great YA Horror novel! Quiet suburban town turns into a nightmare.. The author has a second book either out now or coming soon, it's not a sequel j..."

Hi Baladine, welcome to the group! Do you always read horror? Who are some of your favorite authors?

message 7: by Constance (last edited Feb 06, 2015 08:02AM) (new)

Constance | 1 comments Lillian on Life by Alison Jean Lester I'm reading Lillian on Life by Alison Jean Lester. Lester has lived all over the world and has held a variety of positions, see more about her here: http://www.alisonjeanlester.com/about... Her experiences, no doubt, informs her writing. Lillian is a middle-aged woman reflecting on her past in short chapters on a variety of topics, giving a full portrait of a very interesting, world-wise woman in the 1960s.

message 8: by Mary (last edited Feb 06, 2015 11:09AM) (new)

Mary | 2 comments Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers All the Rage by Courtney Summers The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1) by Jonathan Stroud

I started Courtney Summers' Cracked Up to Be. The main character is the typical high school perfectionist - queen bee, cheerleading captain, top of her class - but after a mysterious event she intentionally sets herself on a downward spiral. I really want to know what prompted the change! The event is slowly being revealed in flashbacks. So far, it's an intense look at grief, anxiety, and the pursuit of perfection. The author has a release this year, All the Rage that I also want to read.

On the children's side of things I'm reading, The Screaming Staircase, a spooky one that features "Psychic Investigations Agencies" run by children.

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (margaretboone) | 2 comments Mercy Snow I just finished Mercy Snow by Tiffany Baker and it was FANTASTIC. Tiffany Baker's character development is spot on. Mercy Snow is a dark story set in a small New England paper town. Full of twists and turns, I couldn't put it down!

message 10: by Amia (new)

Constance wrote: "Lillian on Life by Alison Jean LesterI'm reading Lillian on Life by Alison Jean Lester. Lester has lived all over the world and has held a variety of positions, see more about her here: http://www.a..."

It certainly does seem like she has drawn a lot from her own life after reading her websites. It sounds like an interesting book, I can't wait to hear what you think when you're done!

message 11: by Amia (new)

Mary wrote: "Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers All the Rage by Courtney Summers The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1) by Jonathan Stroud

I started Courtney Summers' Cracked Up to Be. The main characte..."

Mary, I read the summary up Cracked Up to Be. Between that and what you wrote, it sounds like such a good book, I love a good mystery and a swift personality change. All the Rage sounds good too, it seems this author has a theme going of sprinkling many dark secrets throughout her work.

The Screaming Staircase looks good too. I think that would be the coolest job, getting to battle ghosts everyday. Hopefully Lucy makes it out okay!

message 12: by Amia (new)

Maggie wrote: "Mercy Snow I just finished Mercy Snow by Tiffany Baker and it was FANTASTIC. Tiffany Baker's character development is spot on. Mercy Snow is a dark story set in a small New England ..."

Hi Maggie, thanks for sharing! Mercy Snow sounds absolutely fantastic, I put it on my (very long) to read list! I'm also seeing a theme here in the thread that people are reading books in which the characters have many secrets. I also saw that you started reading Funny Girl too. What do you think so far?

message 13: by Dana (new)

Dana Gisser (deekgee) I'm working on an "ABC" challenge this year, so I'm currently reading The Da Vinci Code, and then after that I'll start East of Eden. The way I made this list was all suggestions from family/facebook friends so some of the books aren't ones I would have picked for myself so it's an interesting way to expand my normal scope of books.

message 14: by Amia (new)

Dana wrote: "I'm working on an "ABC" challenge this year, so I'm currently reading The Da Vinci Code, and then after that I'll start East of Eden. The way I made this list was all suggest..."

Dana that's a really good idea, I love that! How did you like The Da Vinci Code? Are there any on the list that you're really looking forward to? (Or not looking forward to?)

message 15: by Dana (new)

Dana | 3 comments Amia wrote: "Dana wrote: "Vivian Apple at the End of the World (Vivian Apple, #1) by Katie Coyle Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon
I just finished Vivian Apple at the End of the World by Katie Coyle, which..."

I actually started reading Outlander at the recommendation of a library customer, and while I didn't catch any of the TV show so far (it's not out on DVD yet), the customer said that it's very good and definitely lives up to the books. So now that's on my list, too. :)

message 16: by Baladine (new)

Baladine | 2 comments Amia wrote: "Baladine wrote: "I just finished The Merciless by Danielle Vega, a great YA Horror novel! Quiet suburban town turns into a nightmare.. The author has a second book either out now or coming soon, it..."

Thanks! No, I actually rarely read Horror but one of my favorite library customer recommended it to me. She and I both read a lot and have some overlapping tastes so we always recommend stuff to each other.

message 17: by Dana (new)

Dana Gisser (deekgee) Amia wrote: "Dana wrote: "I'm working on an "ABC" challenge this year, so I'm currently reading The Da Vinci Code, and then after that I'll start East of Eden. The way I made this list wa..."

Yeah, so for anyone interested my list is
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I'm only on chapter 33 of Da Vinci Code but so far I really like it! My only complaint is that sometimes the French isn't translated and so I feel like I don't know something. (also, I'm reading it on my kindle via the libraries digital media which is great because I don't have to carry the book around PLUS I can view the book in a web browser on any computer or my iphone)

I'm really excited for a few of these, Wonder and Night Circus have both been in my to-read list for a long time, others I hadn't heard of but look really awesome! I'm not looking forward to It, because I don't really like horror books and hate clowns (though I liked the part of The Long Walk that I read and it's Stephen King) and I have to admit "Beloved" was possibly one of the hardest books to finish for me. I liked Cat's Eye though so I hope the other Atwood books are good too!

message 18: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (margaretboone) | 2 comments Amia wrote: "Maggie wrote: "Mercy Snow I just finished Mercy Snow by Tiffany Baker and it was FANTASTIC. Tiffany Baker's character development is spot on. Mercy Snow is a dark story set in a sma..."

Amia - I hate to say I'm not loving it, but I think it has more to do with my massive book hangover from Mercy Snow... I think I need to read another thriller. What do you think?

message 19: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Emery (lindsey_dear) | 1 comments I'm reading Area X: The Southern Reach Trilogy which was originally published as three separate books. A couple of friends whose opinions I trust endorsed it so I plunged right in despite the size of the tome (almost 600 pages.) I'm midway into book 2, Authority, and am completely engrossed. While I sometimes roll my eyes at books that feature other-worldly or supernatural elements, Area X is compelling and mysterious and weird. Fantastic character development and the kind of plot that makes me want to keep reading. Hopefully the rest of the book stands up to what I've read so far.

message 20: by Raidene (last edited Feb 10, 2015 10:59AM) (new)

Raidene | 1 comments Mod
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Sweet Damage by Rebecca James We Were Liars by E. Lockhart Driving the King A Novel by Ravi Howard No Regrets, Coyote by John Dufresne
I started the month loving The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. If you were a fan of Gone, Girl it’s quite possible you’ll enjoy this psychological mystery even more. I followed it up with Sweet Damage by Rebecca James, another psychological mystery, but this one set in Australia. This book was reminiscent of and has much the same feel as We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, the very popular teen novel featuring wealthy young adults keeping unknown secrets.

Next up was Driving the King by Ravi Howard. Though I was looking forward to reading this fictionalized version of Nat King Cole’s life told through his chauffeur’s eyes and was intrigued by the plot, I was expecting more and thought the writing was a little too simplistic. Now I’m reading John Dufesne’s No Regret, Coyote a noir mystery about Wylie, a Florida therapist and police consultant. Ironic, humorous and gritty I picked it up because Dennis Lehane recommended it. Anything Lehane likes, I’ll give a try unless it’s too violent or bloody! So far, very good! I’m looking forward to reading some of Dufresne’s other works and especially like the sense of humor he exhibits. It’s similar to his fellow Floridian mystery writer Paul Levine who may not be as well known as Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiassen but will keep you laughing until the end. Okay, back to reading….

message 21: by Amia (new)

Maggie wrote: "Amia wrote: "Maggie wrote: "Mercy Snow I just finished Mercy Snow by Tiffany Baker and it was FANTASTIC. Tiffany Baker's character development is spot on. Mercy Snow is a dark story..."

Yes, it sounds like you need another thriller. I think going from that to a mundane actress making it in show business story may seem a bit boring...

message 22: by Amia (new)

Lindsey wrote: "I'm reading Area X: The Southern Reach Trilogy which was originally published as three separate books. A couple of friends whose opinions I trust endorsed it so I plunged right in ..."

Hi Lindsey, thanks for sharing! Area X sounds really intriguing, any book that has a storyline where mysterious and terrible things happen to large groups of people peaks my interest. It's always nice to find a long book like that that still keeps your full attention, hopefully all the way through!

message 23: by Amia (new)

An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde Funny Girl by Nick Hornby
Well, I finished up An Ideal Husband and it was okay, I don't think I'm a huge Oscar Wilde fan, but I am halfway through Funny Girl by Nick Hornby. It was recommended to me by my coworker Jenny (also a Matchmaker) because I like Nick Hornby and the main character loves Lucille Ball (and I do too!). The story is about a girl from a small town in England who dreams of being a comedienne just like Lucille Ball, and she stumbles into the perfect audition and ends up getting a lead part in a series! The story also branches off into the other characters lives, her costar, the writers, the tv executives, it's really great.