The Sword and Laser discussion

Annihilation
This topic is about Annihilation
2015 Reads > Ann: Might not want to read this before bed

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jackie (mongoosedoom) | 6 comments I usually read the Sword and Laser pick an hour before I go to sleep and I really can't with this one. It's not scary but there's a lot of unease and stuff about the unknown. Does not make for pleasant sleep!

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Ooooh, I've been deliberately saving it for bedtime for very unease you speak of. It seems like something that suits being read in the darkness when everything is just a little more unreal that it appears in the daylight.

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments It's definitely giving me the creeps as well. There's a constant sense of tensions and it's very unsettling.

message 4: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3911 comments yeah, it is a little on the creepy side. Also, small doses might be good. I'm halfway through and have noticed that the text rewards a close read.

message 5: by Art (new) - rated it 3 stars

Art | 190 comments I've been reading this in the evenings and probably shouldn't. Woke up last night with a definite sense of unease and lots of thoughts about the "tower"

Stephanie (einahpets_reads) When I read this book the first time, my husband came up behind me at the wrong moment and tapped my back. I nearly fell off the bed and laid ground rules from then on out on when I was reading alone in a room.

Joel | 235 comments I read this last year, and even after finishing the book that feeling of unease stuck with me for a very long time. A very unsettling book. But gripping.

Daniel K | 164 comments I had some part of this feeling during first chapter "Initiation" but then things started to develop slowly and i almost stopped to feel any tension. Maybe it will surpise me yet.

Karly (karlycay) | 79 comments Agreed! There was a particular windy (almost howling) night that made Annihilation super creepy.

message 10: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben Rowe (benwickens) If you read a book and it leaves you "with a sense of unease for a very long time" Joel is that not a 5 star read rather than a 1 star. Any dark/weird fiction that stays with you after you have read it has done its job well.

I am sure that if you fell asleep reading this you would have interesting mushroom filled nightmares - just not sure whether that is a bad thing or not.

xGvJx | 22 comments I tried finishing it last night in bed, but got too tired around page 170. I'm glad - not because it was too unsettling (I work with a horror film festival, and nothing can beat having to watch lots of horror movies in an overly tired state because a deadline is looming) - but because the last few pages were quite difficult to follow even while wide awake.

I enjoyed the book, but wish I hadn't read the supposedly non-spoiler post "This book is not normal narrative" because it colored my interpretation too much. Next time I think I'll save the discussions for when I've finished the book.

message 12: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3911 comments xGvJx wrote: "Next time I think I'll save the discussions for when I've finished the book. "

Yeah...I think technically we're not supposed to start reading until the month begins, but for the ones I've read, I started about a week before and had the book finished by the start of the month. That way, no possibility of a spoiler.

message 13: by xGvJx (last edited Feb 19, 2015 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

xGvJx | 22 comments Sneaky ;) But tempting to be able to follow the discussion in real time. This was my first collective reading experience, and what I've learned is that I prefer to let the book speak for itself - at first. Then it is easier to separate my own thoughts from others' in the discussion that follows.