Harlequin Books discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 2154 comments Mod
Sweet = Heartwarming romances where love can happen right when you least expect it!

You can't go wrong with a sweet romance. There are times when you just need to read something that will tug those heartstrings, maybe have a tear or two fall, best emotional rollercoaster rides to be found. Reading Bliss! I know I get emotionally attached and the characters become friends that must find their happily ever after. I'm a sucker for feel-good sweet romances and want to enjoy the thrill ride with other fans. ~ Kim

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Renee (theamandarenee) | 38 comments I love writing sweet romances :) A TEXAN FOR HIRE, the next book in my Welcome to Ramblewood series for the Harlequin American Romance line is coming out in March.

A Texan for Hire (Welcome to Ramblewood #4) by Amanda Renee
A Texan for Hire

FIND YOUR SISTER
Three words scrawled on a piece of paper just upended Abby Winchester's world. She'd never known she even had a sister. Abby's sure she'll learn the truth after traveling to the sleepy Texas town where she was born. And tall, brooding Clay Tanner may find the answers she needs, even if he does look more like a cowboy than a PI.

The petite blonde who just hired him is tempting Clay to break his rule not to get involved with a client. But the former ATF agent isn't ready for a relationship—not after what once happened on his watch. Still, helping Abby uncover family secrets makes him wonder if it's time to put his own past to rest. Is Abby willing to face an uncertain future—together?

Welcome to the group Amanda. I want to read it, NOW, after that great blurb. Abby's emotions must be going crazy with learning about a secret sister. Sounds like an emotional rollercoaster for her and the reader. Yay for us readers! ~ Kim

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Renee (theamandarenee) | 38 comments Thank you! It was an emotional roller coaster of a book to write. Can you imagine a receiving a note from a deceased parent telling you to find a sister you knew nothing about? Abby and Clay were interesting characters to write...their internal angst made me want to write another 60,000 words to their story. There's also a lot of humor in this one too...and some alpaca's with minds of their own :)

Humor and alpaca's? You just know how to tease a reader, don't you? March, huh? adding to wish list Did I mention wanting to read this NOW? "tapping fingers" I'm not good at waiting. ~ Kim

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments Many of the Special Editions are really sweet with a bit of spice. I enjoy the small town/homebody feel of them.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Renee (theamandarenee) | 38 comments Thanks Kim :) I hope when you do you read it, that you really enjoy it!
Debbie I love the Special Editions too. Many of my favorite authors write for that line.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments Amanda wrote: "Thanks Kim :) I hope when you do you read it, that you really enjoy it!
Debbie I love the Special Editions too. Many of my favorite authors write for that line."

OH I know Amanda they are great. I wish there was enough hours in the day to read all the HQN series :)

You and me both Debbie. There is never enough time to do all the reading I want. Sitting here eyeing my TBR bookcase.

message 10: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 15 comments Just read Missy Tippens' THE GUY NEXT DOOR. Is Sweet the place for Love Inspired readers?

The Guy Next Door by Missy Tippens

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Renee (theamandarenee) | 38 comments I have a confession. I have a floor to ceiling bookcase filled with "To Be Read" Harlequin books. Plus, there are 3 or 4 huge gift bags full in my office closet. Never mind the amount on my Kindle. I guess I'm a Harlequin-aholic.

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments Amanda wrote: "I have a confession. I have a floor to ceiling bookcase filled with "To Be Read" Harlequin books. Plus, there are 3 or 4 huge gift bags full in my office closet. Never mind the amount on my Kindle...."

Ha Amanda me too!
We should have a photo contest of our tbr piles ;)

message 13: by Harlequin Books (new)

Lyn, I think LI fits just fine here in the Sweets but there is an Inspirational thread of conversation which I know you've found since posting here. :)

LOL good to see I'm not the only one with an out-of-control TBR pile.

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Renee (theamandarenee) | 38 comments Mine is so out of control. I'm working on a 6 book proposal right now and as soon as I send it off to my editor, I'm attacking my book clutter. I need to organize them in some way. I've had to stop purchasing physical books. Of course I still MUST buy them though :) I'm just ordering the kindle versions now. They take up a lot less space. But I still love the feel of a book in my hands. I must have at least 300 unshelved Harlequins and probably double the amount already shelved.

message 15: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Curtis (goodreadscommelinda_curtis) | 9 comments Hey, Amanda. I love cowboy stories. I'll have to check yours out! I, too, have reverted to buying all my books on kindle, the advantage of which is that Mr. Curtis doesn't know how many books I've got that I haven't read. LOL!

My next book in my Heartwarming Harmony Valley series (book 4!) comes out in March. It's got humor and romance and a hunky veterinarian, and is a best-friends to true-love story.

Does anyone have any favorite hooks they love? Twins, 9 months later, amnesia, secret babies...I could go on.
One Perfect Year (A Harmony Valley Novel) by Melinda Curtis

message 16: by Rula (new)

Rula Sinara (rulasinara) | 25 comments Ooooh I love cowboy/rancher stories too, Amanda! I also love anything with animals and a veterinarian, Mel! :) Those are some of my favorite themes, along with friends-to-true-love, B&B settings, small towns...

This is probably why, like you all, my TBR pile is close to blocking my office door lol.

My first Heartwarming 'From Kenya, With Love' series, The Promise of Rain, had a wildlife vet heroine and was set in Kenya's serengeti...and book 2 in the series, After the Silence, releases in March alongside Mel's :) and is about a widowed, single father Marine with a daughter who suffers from mutism...and a Kenyan doctor whose calling is on the opposite side of the world...until her heart gets involved.

Oh, and you know what else I love about sweet romance? I can leave my books on the coffee table and not worry about the kids picking them up :)! I really do need to buy another bookshelf...even if I did give in a buy a Kindle last year. I still love the feel of a book.
After the Silence (From Kenya, With Love, #2) by Rula Sinara

message 17: by Rula (new)

Rula Sinara (rulasinara) | 25 comments I just remembered something I'd love to read...

You know how LI has LI historicals? Am I the only one who'd love to read (and perhaps write ;) Harlequin Heartwarming Historicals? This probably stems from my love of movies/TV series like Hallmark's When Calls the Heart or the series Anne of Green Gables that showed on TV a while back. Talk about friends to forever soul mates...sigh!

message 18: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Curtis (goodreadscommelinda_curtis) | 9 comments Rula wrote: "I just remembered something I'd love to read...

You know how LI has LI historicals? Am I the only one who'd love to read (and perhaps write ;) Harlequin Heartwarming Historicals? This probably ste..."

Oh, wow. I like it!

message 19: by Harlequin Books (new)

Rula wrote: "I just remembered something I'd love to read...

You know how LI has LI historicals? Am I the only one who'd love to read (and perhaps write ;) Harlequin Heartwarming Historicals? This probably ste..."

I'll never say no to more historicals.~ Kim

message 20: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 60 comments Rula - I would really love to read 'Heartwarming Historicals'. I read all kinds of historicals, but recently I've been getting a little bit tired of the books where they're falling into bed every five minutes.
Especially so in a time where falling into bed every five minutes meant twelve children by age thirty!

Melinda wrote: "Does anyone have any favorite hooks they love?"

I just said in another thread that my absolute favourite is the reunion romance. I especially like it in the romantic suspense genre because it ups the drama if it's the love of your life who is missing or in danger!

But I like plenty of others.

message 21: by Rula (new)

Rula Sinara (rulasinara) | 25 comments Sonya Heaney wrote: "Rula - I would really love to read 'Heartwarming Historicals'. I read all kinds of historicals, but recently I've been getting a little bit tired of the books where they're falling into bed every five minutes meant twelve children by age thirty!..."

Oh, Sonya, this made me laugh :). Very true!

message 22: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 60 comments I'm one of those people who adores historical romance but can't turn my mind off when I read it! I'm always wondering about the realities of the era!

message 23: by Harlequin Books (new)

The realities of the era aren't usually romantic. They are usually quite gross. LOL However, the romance of the era is very much romantic. If a person can look past all those crazy things they used to do and see the beauty of the person and fall in love, it has to be magical.

message 24: by Harlequin Books (new)

Melinda wrote: "Does anyone have any favorite hooks they love? Twins, 9 months later, amnesia, secret babies...I could go on."

Friends to lovers would be one of my favorites. I love reading abouit their struggles trying to decide if it is worth the risk of losing their friend. WHen they decide to go for the chance of love, I'm cheering them on. ~ Kim

message 25: by Rula (new)

Rula Sinara (rulasinara) | 25 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "Melinda wrote: "Does anyone have any favorite hooks they love? Twins, 9 months later, amnesia, secret babies...I could go on."

Friends to lovers would be one of my favorites. I love reading abouit..."

I agree with Kim on liking friends to lovers stories. I think friendship is at the heart of a strong, long lasting relationship, so I love it when friends fall in love. We (readers) then know in our hearts that they truly 'like' and care about each other...which makes 'love' stronger. It reinforces that the relationship isn't just about puppy love or attraction.

message 26: by Hina Tabassum (new)

Hina Tabassum Khatri | 9 comments I started reading Harlequin Heartwarming recently and am enjoying that very much.

Melinda wrote: "Does anyone have any favorite hooks they love? Twins, 9 months later, amnesia, secret babies...I could go on."

I really like those stories where they pretend to be in a relationship and end up falling in love.

message 27: by Jen - Reviews (new)

Jen - Reviews | 15 comments Sarah Morgan's Maybe This Christmas has this friends to lovers theme. I loved that book.

message 28: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments Jennie - Webbweaver Reviews wrote: "Sarah Morgan's Maybe This Christmas has this friends to lovers theme. I loved that book."

I remember that book too Jennie, it was one of my favorites of Sarah's and that's hard bc I LOVE all her novels.

She is just starting a new trilogy set in Puffin Island Maine the first one, First Time in Forever-First Time in Forever is out now but you might not know that she introduces the series with a HQN Presents called Playing by the Greek's Rules-Playing by the Greek's Rules

message 29: by Jen - Reviews (new)

Jen - Reviews | 15 comments Hey Debbie, I've read Playing By The Greek's Rules (enjoyed it) and have First Time In Forever but haven't had a chance to start reading that one because I've been asked to read and review some others by a couple of authors first. But I'm onto it very soon. Let you know.

message 30: by Rula (last edited Mar 25, 2015 12:19PM) (new)

Rula Sinara (rulasinara) | 25 comments Hi everyone!

I just had a post go live yesterday on the Harlequin Blog and I thought some of you might be interested in the topic. It's called THE HOT IN HEARTWARMING HEROES and it poses the question: Can sweet and heat go together? The comments have turned into a great discussion on the qualities that make a sweet romance hero hot :)! Check it out if you have a sec...

http://harlequinblog.com/2015/03/the-...

Hope you're all having a sweet March! :)

After the Silence (From Kenya, With Love, #2) by Rula Sinara
After the Silence (Heartwarming, March 2015)

message 31: by Barbara (last edited Apr 28, 2015 09:22AM) (new)

Barbara Hi all! I've been on deadline and thus very bad about replying to these boards. I keep meaning to be more active. ANYWAY - if you're into sweet, I'm going to give my plug for the original ROMANCE line. Sadly, we're often forgotten about but you'll find the books are sweet without being overly so. In fact, they can be downright sensual right up till the bedroom door closes. (But definitely PG!) And they always have a strong emotional core. I'm going to give a shout out to some of my colleagues that I highly recommend: Susan Meier, Kate Hardy and Jennifer Faye. You can't go wrong with their books.

Barbara Wallace
Harlequin Romance author

message 32: by Harlequin Books (new)

Thanks for checking in Barbara. We all understand being under deadline, so no worries. I'll second your recommendations. I have several of their books on my keeper shelves. :)

message 33: by Harlequin Books (new)

Get to know Holly Jacobs @Harlequin.com. She is going to be checking in and sharing things that bring her glee. Stop by and share your moments of glee or ask her questions about her books and writing. HERE> http://community.harlequin.com/showth...-

message 34: by Harlequin Books (last edited Jun 19, 2015 11:24AM) (new)

Daily Read:

Marriage Made in Monte Calanetti
by Susan Meier

Copyright © 2015 by Harlequin Books S.A.
First love, second chance?

Monte Calanetti, nestled in the Tuscan countryside, is famed for its vineyards and beautiful Palazzo. But for Lily Norelli it will always be where she said no to her first love's proposal and broke her heart.

Now Michele Patruno is back. He's a renowned chef, more gorgeous than ever and waitress Lily's new boss! How long can Lily stand the heat of their attraction before risking her heart again?

The Vineyards of Calanetti Saying 'I do' under the Tuscan sun…

message 35: by Harlequin Books (new)

Weekly Read:

McCabe's Baby
by Cathy Gillen Thacker

From Friends to Lovers…to Parents?

Harper Reed wants a baby more than anything, but with no husband in sight she's putting off her plans until she meets Mr. Right. When Matt McCabe walks through the door of her newly opened baby boutique, Harper does a double-take. It's been ten years since the two of them said goodbye to each other after their senior prom. Yet Harper can't stop her heart from beating just a bit faster at the sight of her first love.

Matt McCabe has returned to Laramie as a family practice doctor, and he couldn't be more thrilled to see Harper. They'd always had a powerful connection—one he'd love to rekindle. But can Matt convince Harper to get over their past and open up the possibilities of a future? A future with lots of little McCabes? Matt hopes so!

message 36: by Harlequin Books (new)

Daily read:

To Win a Cowgirl
by Jeannie Watt

Mel Brody is home to sell the Lightning Creek Ranch before she can move on with her stable, no-surprises life. She's certainly not prepared for KC Walker to show up at her door, reminding her of the love she once had—and lost. Or how his blue, blue eyes ignite something she can't afford to rekindle….

Five years ago, Mel gave KC an ultimatum—the life of a wanderer, or her. His choice broke both their hearts. Now Mel's determined to ignore the attraction buzzing between them…unless KC can prove that he's a risk worth taking.

message 37: by Harlequin Books (new)

Daily Read:

An Amish Summer Courtship
by Emma Miller

Widow Anna Mary Beachy has a busy life. She runs a local produce stand, and is famous far and wide for her homemade lemonades. While she enjoys her independence, she feels there's something missing in her life. Then one day, Amos Zook shows up at her stand, with a bouquet of flowers in hand!

Alone for too long, widower Amos Zook wants a wife. And no other Amish woman in Lancaster County has taken his fancy like the beautiful Anna Mary. He's determined to win her heart, but Anna Mary isn't quite certain whether she wants to remarry. Can Amos convince her that love is sweeter the second time around?

message 38: by Harlequin Books (new)

Authors, what are you working on? Find any interesting bits of fact while doing research that you'd like to share?

Readers, tell us what you like/dislike with current trends in your favorite genre. What do you want more of?

message 39: by Rula (new)

Rula Sinara (rulasinara) | 25 comments Hi everyone! It has been a super busy summer, so I haven't been around much. I have, however, been working on plenty of sweet romances. The one I just finished is a Christmas novella, which is part of an anthology, A Heartwarming Christmas, written entirely by Harlequin Heartwarming authors and set in the same Christmas Town readers got to know in last year's Harlequin Heartwarming, Christmas, Actually. You can see all the Heartwarming authors who'll have connected stories in it here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Also, and this is exciting news for Heartwarming, thirteen of us are writing (yes, me too!) Thanksgiving stories set to post as free online reads in Nov on Harlequin.com.

And I'm also working on the third book in my From Kenya, with Love series for Harlequin Heartwarming. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

A lot of deadlines through Oct/Nov, so I may end up disappearing again!

message 40: by Harlequin Books (new)

Welcome back! Lots of exciting things happening and I love it. I'm always looking for more Thanksgiving themed stories so am really stoked that Harlequin.com will have some for free. :) Kim

message 41: by Harlequin Books (new)

Get ready for a Heartwarming Thanksgiving!
When this time of year rolls around, we reflect on the things we are most grateful for: family, friends and love. What better time to celebrate these precious gifts than with stories from our Heartwarming authors? Each of these stories will comfort your soul and lift your spirits, reminding you about what truly matters. From now until November 26th, join us for a HEARTWARMING Thanksgiving, with 13 brand-new FREE short stories to get you into the spirit! You'll want to bookmark this page because as you can see, these stories just keep on coming! Happy Thanksgiving!

Full Details HERE> http://www.harlequin.com/store.html?c...

message 42: by Rula (new)

Rula Sinara (rulasinara) | 25 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "Get ready for a Heartwarming Thanksgiving!
When this time of year rolls around, we reflect on the things we are most grateful for: family, friends and love. What better time to celebrate these prec..."

So excited about this month's Heartwarming Thanksgiving celebrations! The free online reads are a great way for 'sweet romance' readers to get a feel for the line. Amy Vastine's story yesterday was fabulous and I'm looking forward to Liz Flaherty's tomorrow!

And for those who love or are interested in reading Harlequin Heartwarming books, the month is also filled with fabulous prizes and giveaways. 13 Heartwarming books are being given away on the Harlequin Heartwarming author Goodreads page here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

And we have a tour going on with numerous prizes, including a tour grand prize of a year subscription to Harlequin Heartwarming (provided by Harlequin)! Enter Here: http://prismbooktours.blogspot.com/20...

So much going on. It's going to be a fabulous November!

message 43: by Harlequin Books (new)

Reminder:
A Heartwarming Thanksgiving free reads!:

A Heartwarming Thanksgiving
by Multiple authors

Harlequin Heartwarming celebrates wholesome, heartfelt relationships imbued with the traditional values so important to you: home, family, community and love.

message 44: by C. (new)

C. | 29 comments Amanda wrote: "Thank you! It was an emotional roller coaster of a book to write. Can you imagine a receiving a note from a deceased parent telling you to find a sister you knew nothing about? Abby and Clay were i..."

That sounds like a fun read, and it will be interesting to learn about alpacas of which I know almost nothing about!

message 45: by C. (last edited Jan 26, 2016 09:47AM) (new)

C. | 29 comments Rula wrote: "I just remembered something I'd love to read...

Loved those Hallmark movie series, and I think "Heartwarming Historicals" would be wonderful especially novel-length marriage of convenience and mail-order brides/husbands.

I read both of Traci Peterson's Harvey Girl[Desert Roses/Westward Chronicles], trilogies and found them fascinating. It would be awesome to read more about the Fred Harvey railroad restaurants/hotels and his girls, like those, but non religious.

message 46: by C. (new)

C. | 29 comments Hina wrote: "I started reading Harlequin Heartwarming recently and am enjoying that very much.

Melinda wrote: "Does anyone have any favorite hooks they love? Twins, 9 months later, amnesia, secret babies...I c..."

I also love those stories, and Amish-themed, as well, since I live near the world's largest Amish area, and have visited several times.

message 47: by Harlequin Books (new)

Lancaster? My daughter went there with the youth group from church after visiting Hershey Park. It was their celebration trip for being confirmed. They went to an awesome stage performance that had live animals.

message 48: by C. (last edited Jan 27, 2016 03:30AM) (new)

C. | 29 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "Lancaster? My daughter went there with the youth group from church after visiting Hershey Park. It was their celebration trip for being confirmed. They went to an awesome stage performance that had..."

No, the Holmes-Wayne County area of Ohio. The home of the amazing ~https://www.lehmans.com/t-vos.aspx.
There are cheese factories, Thursday auction and flea market[Kidron,OH], and it's always a joy just to pull off the main highway and drive along the two-lanes past their beautiful farms[Berlin,OH].
So much to see and do in the towns in these counties. We could spend hours just in Lehman's hardware.

message 49: by Harlequin Books (new)

I wish the Amish in my area had flea markets! I'm in WNY.

message 50: by C. (new)

C. | 29 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "I wish the Amish in my area had flea markets! I'm in WNY."

That's not so far away, you should plan a visit to Ohio's Amish country.
http://www.ohioamishcountry.com/

« previous 1