2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Off Topic > How to build "Friend"-ships in Goodreads?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennywatts) I came to Goodreads this month at long last, by way of the reading challenge. Better late than never! I really like the chance to virtually interact and exchange recommendations with other readers. In my brick and mortar life, I don't have many friends who enjoy reading literature (they are more nonfiction folk). So I'd love to get some Friends on Goodreads who have compatible reading interests. I only have two friends so far (sniff!), so - Does anyone have any advice on how to do that? I gather that writing reviews may help... I just joined and have thus far been focusing on getting my shelves and ratings in order. But I can turn my attention to writing reviews next if that's the best way to contribute to the community? Thanks for any tips!

message 2: by Lora (new)

Lora (misplacedselchie) | 347 comments Talk to people! I am friends with quite a few people here that I did not know before just because we are pretty active and talk a lot. Some of them read the same stuff as me, some don't, but we enjoy talking about the books and trying to get each other to read things we don't really see on their bookshelves.

So yes, my biggest advice is talk and if you interact with someone a lot, send them a request. Most of the people here are very lovely people ;)

message 3: by Berit (new)

Berit | 138 comments I am very new to all this as well :-)my real life friends are not readers of any sort, unfortunately. If you can figure out I will be your friend, I haven't figured the ins and outs of everything yet, myself. I do however have11 friends just by talking to a lot of people :-) such amazing people I have to say.

message 4: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Pereira (adrianacecilia) My real life friends don't care much about literature either. Usually when I stumble one someone's profile, I click the "compare books" button and if our books are similar I either add them or start following their reviews! I think it's a great way to discover new books :)

message 5: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (cristina_urs) | 23 comments Berit wrote: "I am very new to all this as well :-)my real life friends are not readers of any sort, unfortunately. If you can figure out I will be your friend, I haven't figured the ins and outs of everything y..."

I know what you mean :)I even tried making some of my real friends to read something but..they give me that "what's the use" speech or imply it. Yes,people around here are really nice and amazing. And it's even more amazing when you see that some of them share the same books as you.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Harris (nicoleintrovert) I live a very "online" life so I've imported many of my friends from Facebook/Twitter to my Goodreads. I'm always up for new friends to look through my feed for recommendations so if you think we have any similar tastes please feel free to send a request. I think this is a pretty good social network where you can be total strangers but still "friends" since it is about common interest. I'm a bit more private about my Facebook, etc.

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele (micheleleann) I was just wondering this, and hoping some new friends came from being in this group! All my friends on here are either from real life or friends I've made over the internet except for one that is exclusively from goodreads. I'm lucky to know a few bookworms, but I could always use more friends! If any of you want to add me, feel free!

message 8: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighsbookshelf) I've only really just discovered the social networking aspect of Goodreads! Most of the people until recently had been people I knew well...

Anyway, I'm always up for a conversation so feel free to add me and have a chat! :D

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennywatts) Aw, you guys are all so nice!! Thanks for all the good tips and the friending! I'm also grateful to hear I wasn't the only one wondering about how to get the Goodreads friendships rolling. I really appreciate the chance to hear different opinions and learn about new books, and I like to be able to cheer on fellow readers and encourage their reading awesomeness. :-)

message 10: by Tina (new)

Tina (tjlich) I need some Good Reads friends as well. I enjoy the interaction here nearly as much as I enjoy being immersed in a good book.

(running to friend all of you now.)

message 11: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments I'm always up for good conversations and book recommendations. Feel free to add me if you'd like.

message 12: by Cris (new)

Cris (cris_lectora) I don't have that many friends at Goodreads, and they were all people I knew from other places until I joined this group, which brought me a few new ones. I'm always up for a good talk about books; I love the subject, and it's always a good way to practice my English so, any of you, feel free to add me :)

message 13: by Michelle, Mod Assistant (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 403 comments Mod
Groups are an excellent way to make GoodReads friends! There are so many wonderful people in this group but if you're looking to make friends tailored specifically to your reading tastes, join some other groups also. There are groups for YA readers (adult and teen alike), Historic Fiction, Sci-Fi and Fantasy, Contemporary, etc. If there's a category for it, there's a GoodReads group for it. :)

message 14: by Biana (new)

Biana I love this thread topic and all the great responses thus far!!

My New Year Resolution (I hate to call it that, how about a Life Goal?) was to be more interactive with people. I'm a recent Empty Nester and I find that my time is spent sitting on the couch reading or watching tv alone. Sadly, the RL friends that I have "can't sit still long enough" to read.

I have enjoyed the camaraderie and discussion that I've found with this group. And I really do hope to create a deeper friendship while I post away this year.

So.....I'm available should anyone need another GR friend :-)

message 15: by Berit (new)

Berit | 138 comments I have really enjoyed this group and the response to this thread :-)most of you have already, but feel free to add me as well :-) ;-)I am a soon to be empty Nester :-) :-( ;-)I will have one off to college next year, the next one the next year, and then it will be just my youngest son and I :-)

message 16: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 272 comments I've been on goodreads for some years, but since practically none of my IRL friends read as much as I do, I haven't been used the social aspect of goodreads that much. But I really get inspired by seeing what others are reading and by talking about books, so I'm open for new friends also, if any of you are interested :-)

message 17: by Mahoghani 23 (new)

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) It's hard for me to be on the computer in the evening because I'm working on it during the day and have classes during the evening that requires computer usage. I would love to meet new people but it's challenging because of my lack of interest for technology in the evening besides using my Kindle (LOL). I'm open to change and will try but I won't get better until probably beginning of June.

message 18: by Lou (new)

Lou LaJeunesse | 45 comments Jenna I read almost anoything. I always have a book by my side wherever I am. I love to talk about them, I would certainly enjoy being a friend here on Goodreads.

message 19: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments I only discovered Goodreads last year and it was through watching youtube videos of Carrie Hope Fletcher (aka It'sWayPastMyBedtime), she reads a lot and talks about books in most of her videos and in one of her videos she mentioned Goodreads so I decided to check it out.

I've only got a couple of friends on here so far but I'm really enjoying seeing what they're reading and their reviews and the fact that it gives you a chance to discuss books and swap recommendations. I tried to add Carrie and Emma Blackery (another youtuber) as friends but as they're both very popular their friend limit was full so I wasn't able to but I could follow them so I still get to see their reviews, recommendations, etc.

I'd love to make more friends on here, while some of my friends do read and do enjoy reading, they're not on this website and they don't all have big discussions about books. I welcome all kinds of readers as well no matter the genre because I like variety and I enjoy getting recommendations for books that I probably wouldn't usually read! My favourite genres though are Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi but I love books from all different genres!

message 20: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) Hi everyone! At first I used Goodreads only in a "documenting" way, organizing my books and all. But then I started following booktubers reviews and it gave me so many book ideas, that I wanted to take more part in the social side of this website. Apart from the good themes for the weekly challenges, the main reason I joined this group is to get to know people who like books like me and discuss them. IRL my friends don't really like to read or read one book in two months, which is not really enough to start discussing our reading.

I'm still a bit shy and tend not to dare adding friends, but only following reviews. So don't hesitate if you want to add me, I'm a very open person ;)

message 21: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
I'm feeling lucky that my family members and my friends like reading. We doesn't share many books as we don't have same tastes, but reading is a commun hobby so it's easy to talk about a book :)

message 22: by Tina (new)

Tina (tjlich) This is such a great thread! Through it, I was able to build up my Goodreads friends and I'm feeling more comfortable now, knowing that several people are open to being asked to be friended.

Thanks to Jenna, who started the friendship ball rolling!

message 23: by SaraFair (new)

SaraFair I am very thankful for this discussion and this group. I also did not really know how to navigate the GR system until I spent a lot of time and clicks. Also there is a part of me that doesn't want to give away too much info to people I don't even know!? Now I'm really looking forward to more friends, as the few friends I have on here barely read. I even have a cousin who is writing a book and is an English professor and barely wants to talk about books. Living in a small rural community there are no book stores or book clubs. Request away!

message 24: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennywatts) TJ wrote: "This is such a great thread! Through it, I was able to build up my Goodreads friends and I'm feeling more comfortable now, knowing that several people are open to being asked to be friended.

Than..."

@TJ You are so welcome! I'm just glad the question was useful to others! :-)

message 25: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Day (nikkiday) Hi, I also am looking for more people to become friends with on GR.
Anyone can feel free to add me no matter what they read, as I'm always interested in trying new books. :)

message 26: by Renee (Larimel) (new)

Renee (Larimel) (goodreadscomLarimel) | 62 comments I'm glad you asked this question Jenna. I haven't been very active on GoodReads before this challenge so I'm trying to figure out the social side to it as well.
I always hesitate when adding people because I thought they wouldn't welcome it since they don't know me. Thanks to this thread I think I've changed my mind on that.
The more people to book-talk with the better! ☺

message 27: by Meran (new)

Meran Marina, your books and mine compare to 71%. Look at mine if you like. I could be more active here, but am trying a new tactic this year: make my way through the 200 books that are already on my physical To Read shelves that are over 700 pages and/or are parts of larger series.

Also, a lot of my friends here are either from Facebook or have asked to friend me here because I review my books. I can give you tips on how I keep up with that. I'm not sure why people follow my reviews: they aren't long or especially witty

message 28: by Meran (last edited Feb 03, 2015 03:20AM) (new)

Meran Another post invisible..

Manda, yours are 66%, but your To Reads feature highly on my already reviewed books, so if you read them, you'll be MUCH higher!

M A N D A, your name keeps coming up as Mandatory, even edited, so sorry about that. This is the third edit. It shows properly when in edit mode, but not on the list. So sorry!

Anyway, friend me if you like. Who can have enough friends, even virtual ones, right?

message 29: by Meran (last edited Feb 03, 2015 03:18AM) (new)

Meran Another one. Sigh. Getting bad here.

Berit, yours is lower, already forgot the number, but I saw a LOT of my favorites listed! I re looked your books up, and the number is 70%.

So, I think I got everyone! If I missed you, you can look up mine, friend me if you like, or just follow the reviews.

The only thing about social sites though, is that I WANT to READ the books. Lol I'm not reading books if I'm reading posts.

But I enjoy talking about books. Very much. I don't usually read Romances though, I'll warn you, nor spy types. Sometimes, I'll pick up a best seller but I'm more into independent, small authors lately.

message 30: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) I totally agree Meran, I'm torn between wanting to discuss books on Goodreads and actually reading them! It is hard to divide little free time we have ;)

message 31: by Berit (new)

Berit | 138 comments 70% is that bad :-) I read probably most any genre I like an occasional romance, I like bestsellers, and I'm open to small independent books. Any and all suggestions and recommendations are welcome, also any friend requests are welcome. I think the beauty of this group is that we were here from the beginning it would be nice if it grew into one of those groups that went on and on for years. Yes I know I had nothing to do with starting this and I'm grateful someone did, But I have found the people in this group to be quite amazing ;-)

message 32: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
I thought about creating a RC 2016 with our own categories, as the group is really friendly. We'll see at the end of the year :)

message 33: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Meran > all your posts are visible. Can you edit one of them to add the others inside it and delete the useless ones? :)

message 34: by Tina (new)

Tina (tjlich) Zaz!!!! You are reading my mind. 2016, here we come!

message 35: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) I have been on Goodreads for a few years but have only really used it to track my books & ratings. This is the first year I have participated in groups and challenges. I'm always looking to add new friends who enjoy reading as much as I do so please feel free to add me.

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie (ktmac_1) Always nice to find other readers. :)

message 37: by Jen (new)

Jen Juniper (jenjuniper) | 9 comments Feel free to add me as well :) I'm trying to be more active in discussions, but the sheer amount of "to read" keeps pressuring me to invest the free time I have into flipping the pages of whatever book is the closest. Nevertheless, new recommendations are always welcome :D

message 38: by Lou (new)

Lou LaJeunesse | 45 comments HMM I rate and Write reviews on everything I have read so far. Noow what am I doing wrong OOH gotta research that LOL This is amazing. Good grief!

message 39: by Meran (new)

Meran Zaz, sure, but later. Have a sick dog

message 40: by Renee (Larimel) (new)

Renee (Larimel) (goodreadscomLarimel) | 62 comments I think I spend more time trying to catch up with the discussions on this group alone than anything else on Goodreads.

message 41: by Meran (new)

Meran Renee, I can hardly keep up with any of them! Lol
I think that's normal.

message 42: by Meran (new)

Meran Well, the editing didn't work. Serves me right for doing this on an iPad. I lost most of the comparisons, so I'm leaving the remaining posts.

I think most of you saw them anyway, so no real loss

message 43: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments Hello! I'm another always open to making new bookworm friends. :) I love seeing my friends' reviews, book choices etc. and have added many a book to my to-read shelf that way.

Most of my real-life friends aren't as much into books as I am, so I'd love to find some more like-minded people. I've only ever put out a few friend requests, and none have been accepted. :( So if you'd like to add me, please do!

message 44: by Diane (new)

Diane Coto (fictionzeal) | 60 comments Meran wrote: "Marina, your books and mine compare to 71%. Look at mine if you like. I could be more active here, but am trying a new tactic this year: make my way through the 200 books that are already on my phy..."

Hi Meran - How are you picking up the percentage of similar books? Thanks! :)

message 45: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 272 comments Diane wrote: "Hi Meran - How are you picking up the percentage of similar books? Thanks! :)"

Hi Diane, if you go to another users profile, you can click on compare books just under the box with info about the user. Then you can see, how many books you have in common and how similar your tast is.

message 46: by Diane (new)

Diane Coto (fictionzeal) | 60 comments Marina wrote: "Diane wrote: "Hi Meran - How are you picking up the percentage of similar books? Thanks! :)"

Hi Diane, if you go to another users profile, you can click on compare books just under the box with in..."

So, I went to yours. We only have 2 books in common with 0% similar tastes. Is that what you're seeing when you go to mine? Thanks for your help.

message 47: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 272 comments Yep, I see the same :-) You're welcome!

message 48: by Berit (new)

Berit | 138 comments I think that is an interesting stat :-) however I think it's nice to have friends with different taste in books. That way you get exposed to new genres, I have read a lot of things I wouldn't have if people hadn't recommended them to me ;-)

message 49: by Ella (new)

Ella | 234 comments Feel free to add me as well. I'm always up for chatting about reading or books.

message 50: by Meran (new)

Meran Diane, that's one way to look at it. However, those we both have rated came up 62%… They also look at the ToRead shelves I believe, so I think they're tracking the Interest in Books. Which is why we're here, yes? ;)

It only shows 3 books in common, yes. Like I mentioned before, it's weird how they come up with the numbers. Just proves numbers can always be skewed into the pathway you want them :D

The only to read we have in common came about thru giveaways, I think. It's not nice that they mark those as WantToRead automatically now.

And Yes, Marina, is correct. There's a little button to push to see the percentage, called Compare Books.

I do believe it may be there to foster friendships here ;)

« previous 1