The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Personal Challenges - 2015 > Jaleesa's 2015 reading challenge

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaleesa (last edited Sep 19, 2015 12:51PM) (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I do this challenge alone.
My rules are that:
a book may only be used for one item and that the book has to be finished in 2015. I will also change some items (for example: A book you started but never finished) to free categories (so I can read any book I'd like)

The Challenge:
*A book with more than 500 pages - The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton. READ 24-03-2015
*A classic romance - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. READ 06-07-2015
*A book that became a movie - No country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. READ 28-01-2015
*A book published this year - Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. READ 14-04-2015
*A book with a number in the title - Honder Jaar Eenzaamheid by Gabriel García Márquez. READ 14-06-2015
*A book written by someone under 30 - Red Rising by Pierce Brown
*A book with nonhuman characters - Anna dressed in blood by Kendare Blake. READ 04-01-2015
*A funny book - Bridgit Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding. READ 08-06-2015
*A book by a female author - The Thing around your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. READ 26-03-2015
*A mystery or thriller - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. READ 09-05-2015
*A book with a one-word title - Possession by A.S. Byatt. READ 26-08-2015
*A book of short stories - Vintage Munro by Alice Munro. READ 25-03-2015
*A book set in a different country - Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichi. READ 02-03-2015
*A nonfiction book - A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. READ 19-05-2015
*A popular author's first book - Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
*A book from an author you love that you haven't read yet - The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton. READ 13-09-2015
*A book a friend recommended - Wolfsblade by Jennifer Fallon. READ 09-02-2015
*A Pulitzer Prize-winning book - To kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
*A book based on a true story - 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup
*A book at the bottom of your to-read list - The Perks of being a Wallflower. READ 26-08-2015
*A book your mom/dad loves - De Quincunx by Charles Palliser. READ 11-04-2015
*A book that scares you - Misery by Stephen King. READ 27-06-2015
*A book more than 100 years old - Tess of the D'ubervilles by Thomas Hardy
*A book based entirely on its cover - Die for Me by Amy Plum. READ 17-07-2015
*A book you were supposed to read in school but didn't - Grey by E.L. James
*A memoir - Yes Please by Amy Poehler
*A book you can finish in a day - Het Mussenjong by Adriaan van Dis. READ 25-3-2015
*A book with antonyms in the title - Oorlog en Vrede by Lev Tolstoj
*A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit [Afghanistan] - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
*A book that came out the year you were born [1996] - A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin
*A book with bad reviews - Fifty Shades Freed by E.L James READ 16-02-2015
*A trilogy - The Selection, The Elite and The One by Kiera Cass READ 04-03-2015
*A book from your childhood
*A book with a love triangle - Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. READ 09-06-2015
*A book set in the future - Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
*A book set in high school - Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead.
*A book with a colour in the title - The Colour Purple by Alice Walker. READ 29-07-2015
*A book that made you cry - Me before you by Jojo Moyes.
*A book with magic - The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. READ 21-04-2015
*A graphic novel - Black Hole by Charles Burns. READ 20-02-2015
*A book by an author you've never read before
*A book you own but have never read - Mijn Land by Geert Mak. READ 26-03-2015
*A book that takes place in your hometown [Rotterdam] - Bint by Ferdinand Bordewijk. READ 04-01-2015
*A book that was originally written in a different language - Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.
*A book written by an author with your same initials [JR] - The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (J(.K.) Rowling)
*A play - The Pillowman by Martin McDonagh
*A banned book - The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie.
*A book based on or turned into a TV show - The 100 by Kass Morgan. READ 14-06-2015.
*A book you started but never finished

message 2: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments So I've already read three books. I'm busy reading the book my friend recommended: Wolfblade by Jennifer Fallon. Additional I will soon be starting to read Half of a yellow sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie for a book set in a different country.

message 3: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've just finished Wolfsblade, which was for the category: the book a friend recoommended. I started with the trilogy, which will be The Selection by Kiera Cass.

message 4: by Luella (new)

Luella | 20 comments Jeeeeeej very good:)
Which friend recommended Wolfsblade again? Laura?

message 5: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments Yes :)

message 6: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished The Selection yesterday. This means that I'm not yet done with the item, as I aim to read the whole trilogy. I've started with Half of a yellow sun which I will probably use as a book set in a different country. I aslo started with Fifty shades freed. I've not yet decided wether I'll use that one as my 500+ book or as my book with bad reviews.

message 7: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments Today I finished Fifty Shades Freed. I've decided to use it as the book with bad reviews (and it has many...). I'm also reading Half of a Yellow Sun and I started Black Hole today. I'll be using the latter as the graphic novel.

message 8: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 435 comments Im also doing this.challenge

message 9: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments Nice! Which books have you read?

message 10: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 435 comments The outlander audio and divergent. Several big books...over 590 p

message 11: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished Black Hole today! Still working on Half of a Yellow Sun though.

message 12: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I haven't updated in a while, but I've finished Half of a Yellow Sun and The Elite (part 2 of the Selection trilogy). I've started the third and last installment of the trilogy: The One. I also plan to start reading a book of short stories. This will be Vintage Munro with short stories by Alice Munro.

message 13: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments Today (or better yet, yesterday night) I finished the One, so my trilogy is complete! I also started reading two other books. One is, as previously indicated, Vintage Munro. The other is The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton. I will be using this book as my book with more than 500 pages.

message 14: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished THe Luminaries which I used as a book with more than 500 pages (it has more than 800, so I'm safe :) ). I'm still busy with Munro and I'll be starting Het Mussenjong by Adriaan van Dis. I think that I will use this book as a book that has been written by an author that I have not yet read.

message 15: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished het mussenjong and have decided to use it as a book that I can finish in a day instead.

message 16: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I have added some titles, but there not in bold. This means that I plan to read them for that particular item, but have not yet done so.

message 17: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 435 comments I'm struggling with The Throat, by Peter Straub

message 18: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished vintage munro just now. As I already mentioned, I use this book as a book with short stories. I will also start with Mijn Land by Geert Mak. I am not sure for which topic I will use this book, but I think it'll be a book by an author I haven't read before.

message 19: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished Mijn Land and have used it as a book by an author I haven't read before. I've also started The Quincunx by Charles Palliser. I will use this book as the book my mom/dad loves. In this case it's my dad :)

message 20: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I finished the Quincunx (book my dad loves) and Red Queen (book published this year). I'm now reading The Thing around your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I'm also reading the Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. I'll be using the first one as a book by a female author. I don't yet know for which I'll be using the latter.

message 21: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I'm done reading the Book of Lost Things and I've decided to use it as a book with magic. In addition to reading The Thing around your Neck, I'm also reading Yes Please by Amy Poehler. The last one is 'my' memoir.

message 22: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I'm done reading The Thing Around your Neck, which was another book by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and it was just as awesome :)

message 23: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished reading 'Yes Please' and started 'Gone Girl'. I will use the latter for 'a mystery or a thriller'.

message 24: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments Today (well technically last night) I finished Gone Girl. I've started reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.

message 25: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments Did you enjoy Gone Girl? I quite like the twistedness of it.

message 26: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I enjoyed it a lot, even though I already knew the story as I watched the movie. Have you watched it?

message 27: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished reading 'Walk in the Woods' and have started reading 'Misery' by Stephen King. I will use this book as 'a book that scares you'.

message 28: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished reading Misery, which was definetly a scary book (Annie gave me the creeps) and started reading Honderd Jaar Eenzaamheid (the original title is Cien Años de Soledad, as it is originally Spanish. I'll read it in Dutch, as my Spanish is, unfortunately, not that good yet) by Gabriel García Márquez. I'll use that books as a book with a number in the title (100 in this case :) ).

message 29: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished reading Bridget Jones's Diary and Shatter Me. Still busy with Honderd Jaar Eenzaamheid though.

message 30: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished honderd jaar eenzaamheid, which I decided to use as a book with a number in the title, last night.I also started reading the 100 by Kass Morgan, which I will use as a book based or turned into a TV show.

message 31: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished reading the 100 yesterday (yes that is indeed the same day I started it :) ) and started reading Jane Eyre.

message 32: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë and Grey by E.L. James. I will use the last one as one I was supposed to read in school but didnt, as I made that a free category (see the rules :) ). I've also started reading Die for Me.

message 33: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've finished reading Die for Me (which was a bit of a disappointment :( ) last night and today I started reading the Color Purple by Alice Walker.

message 34: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I haven't updated this feed in a long time, so it is high time! I've finished The Color Purple a while ago and used it as a book with a color in the title. I've started and finished Possession which I decided to use as the one-word title. Furthermore I started reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower and as it doesn't fit any category, I chose a 'free' one, which is a book at the bottom of your to-read list. It does have a bit of truth in it, as it certainly wasn't at the top of my list.

message 35: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments I've also finished The Perks of being a Wallflower, which was okay, but a bit disappointing in some way... I will start reading The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton, which I will use as 'A book from an author you love that you haven't read yet'.

message 36: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments So I haven't updated in quite a while, due to the fact that I started studying at University :) I did finish The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton. I like it, but not as much as her mayor work The Luminaries. I started reading Game of Thrones which came out in the year I was born. I don't expect to finish it anytime soon though...

message 37: by Jaleesa (new)

Jaleesa de Regt | 32 comments Unfortunately I will not be able to make this challenge work. I have started studying and I just do not have neough time to read anymore...

message 38: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Jaleesa, congrats on starting uni! It's such a big change, full of excitement and a lot of work. Perhaps you could count your university reads for your challenge? If not, hopefully you will get some time on breaks to read something for pleasure, whether it counts for the challenge or not. I wasn't able to keep up with my personal reading during uni either as my major involved so much reading I couldn't even look at any extra books without groaning! You'll find your way back to it, don't stress. Until then, good luck in uni!